• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2017 - Welcome to the Ballroom World Premiere Report

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh man I am so hyped to see this animated! It's easily one of THE best currently ongoing manga. Hopefully Amazon doesn't kill its oversea popularity and its a hit in Japan as well!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Ballroom E Yokoso, Violet Evergarden and Fate/Apocrypha... these people are trying to burn my eyes out.... Shocked Sad
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
If Bertschy himself has nothing but praise for the series, then this is definitely 2017's AOTY. I can't wait. I just can't wait!!!!

However, Tomo Takeuchi is a woman.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I was there this morning at the premiere, and I have to say that I was not disappointed. I enjoyed the sound of the opening and closing tracks and I'm just excited to see the dance moves animated.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
until he watches a cute girl named Shizuku

And this is where I part ways with any interest I might have had in the series.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Two cour shows for the mother effing win. Nice to see this become more common once again. As long as it's both financially and ethically(the staff aren't suffering even worse than usual) viable, I'm 100% down for more long form shows.
azhanei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Glad it has a strong start and I can't wait til the home video is released. As much as I'll miss seeing it stream, I'm not paying Amazon $14/month for crappy service.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not giving a cent to Amazon either. I just hope this gets handed over to a company that actually dubs for the home video release. Heck! Will there even be a dub?
portgas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
The clip gave a nice feel for what the animation would be like. The exaggeration of pose that comes off as parody in the stills may actually make sense given the animation style and energy. It will be interesting to see how much dancing they will convince us we're seeing. (I had to laugh at all the comments about the great skating animation in Yuri on Ice when so much of it was clever camera work.)

Not interested in the story which is meh but will check in for the animation.

Ah, those necks.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Quote:
until he watches a cute girl named Shizuku

And this is where I part ways with any interest I might have had in the series.

What? You thought this was fujoushi-class? This is shounen. And duh... it was always going to be hetero.

As for the show, really not my cup of tea. But what the hell is up with the huge necks in the preview?
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I found Takeuchi's strength to be his illustrative style,

Tomo Takeuchi is a woman.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
(I had to laugh at all the comments about the great skating animation in Yuri on Ice when so much of it was clever camera work.)

What animation in YOI was relying on "clever camera work"? I'd agree that the animation in YOI wasn't particularly great after the first couple of episodes, but it had almost nothing to do with it relying on camera work and making use of stills. It wasn't great animation for almost exactly the opposite reason. It was far too ambitious for a TV schedule and therefore had lots of off-model work that they just didn't have time to fix.
portgas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
What animation in YOI was relying on "clever camera work"? I'd agree that the animation in YOI wasn't particularly great after the first couple of episodes, but it had almost nothing to do with it relying on camera work and making use of stills. It wasn't great animation for almost exactly the opposite reason. It was far too ambitious for a TV schedule and therefore had lots of off-model work that they just didn't have time to fix.

I never said it made use of stills. You might want to reread.

The clever camera work was in the use of tight shots to the head for expressions and the focus on hand gestures. You never saw much that was decent in long shot and almost no tight shots on legs or footwork. The whole idea was to make it seem that there was more than there really was. It didn't always work but a lot of it did. Clever means just that. it doesn't confer greatness

Watch for the camera work in Ballroom. I guarantee the animators will use various shots to indicate the whole. anything else is rotoscope and we know how that looks.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I never said it made use of stills. You might want to reread.

The clever camera work was in the use of tight shots to the head for expressions and the focus on hand gestures. You never saw much that was decent in long shot and almost no tight shots on legs or footwork. The whole idea was to make it seem that there was more than there really was. It didn't always work but a lot of it did. Clever means just that. it doesn't confer greatness

Watch for the camera work in Ballroom. I guarantee the animators will use various shots to indicate the whole. anything else is rotoscope and we know how that looks.

A big part of "camera work" in animation is utilizing stills to express actual movement where none exists. I assumed that was part of your reasoning for using the term because it is such a big part of how camera work is used in animation. What you are describing is framing, not "camera work" at all. The difference being that camera work is how the camera moves in a shot(often to make up for lack of motion in the actual key animation), while framing is where the camera is located in relation to what is happening. And close up framing doesn't take away from actual good animation at all. You can have very good character animation on close up shots, just as you can have very good animation on distant shots. YOI had plenty of ambitious cuts from all over the place. That was about as far from its problem as something can be. What you are asking for is more complex animation in a show that was already far far too ambitious. I can't say I think your criticisms hold any weight whatsoever.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
hmm sounds like a pass oh well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2