• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL 2&3 Reveals More Staff, Theatrical Format in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, sure would be nice if the NA licensee could arrange Canada/US theatrical screenings.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
After I saw the name of Kiyotaka Oshiyama, I began to have more faith in the sequence of the work. Will be amazing!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Fooly? Cooly?
O-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Man, sure would be nice if the NA licensee could arrange Canada/US theatrical screenings.

I have a feeling we might go the "Digimon Tri" route with this. Just switch Crunchyroll for Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
Use the restroom before watching these 2 hour movies.
Apterous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
Was this really something that needed a sequel? I mean, I guess it's been 15-20 years. Time to resolve those unresolved story questions of ______ and _______ (?)

Only thing I can think to put in those blanks is "how much money we can make from this franchise" and "can't we just plan and announce 2 sequels from the start to save time and money on advertising?"
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
I agree that FLCL doesn't *need* a sequel. But, if it is done *well*, then I think there's no reason FLCL shouldn't get one. Naota's story, at least for the time being, was finished. However, Naota still has a N/O Gate, and a pretty significant one at that. Haruko is still chasing after Atomsk, and I think she still has some interest in Naota and may be waiting until he grows up before she comes back for him. We don't know what Medical Mechanica's actual goals are, or why they came to Earth to pursue them... perhaps they realized that humans, despite (or perhaps because) being "under-evolved" are capable of creating NO gates big enough to free the Pirate King... something Haruko may have realized as well.

All I'm saying is that there are enough dangling plot points lying around from the original series that making a sequel isn't out the question. I'm cautiously optimistic about this, and hope it turns out well.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
^ I agree with this frame of mind. While I wouldn't mind (and am kind of expecting, to be honest) a small role or cameo from him showing how he's continued to mature into adulthood, Naota's personal story of adolescence does not need a direct sequel. AS and I.G. know this, which is why, as far as we're aware at this point, they're not doing that and instead doing more of thematic "remake" with a different protagonist, but there are still so many side-plots and aspects of the original FLCL's lore that are begging for further exploration. If you really think about it, Naota, Eri and Mamimi's stories were practically the only ones that arrived at a proper conclusion. For Haruko and all of the others associated with her line of work and all the space stuff, that was really just a bump in the road (albeit, a rather large one) in a longer, ongoing story that we were not privy to the beginning or end of.

An argument could still be made that we don't need that either as it could ruin much of Haruko's "mystique", but as long as they don't go off-the-wall with things pertaining to Naota, I have a hard time believing that continuing Haruko's story and (ideally) expanding on the Brotherhood and Medical Mechanica, would somehow "ruin" Naota's mostly self-contained journey, and by extension, the whole of FLCL, as that was really the backbone of it's narrative.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Hope for the future. Looks good so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1