• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Yuuki Ono Reveals He Got Married 7 Years Ago

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Voice actors revealing they're married is becoming like politicians revealing they've smoked weed.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
How’d he manage to hide it for seven years? And why? I mean you wouldn’t want to put them in the spotlight as they aren’t an industry member and maybe avoiding announcing the marriage immediately would be advisable considering the fandom culture in Japan, but seven years seems excessive and if it were inconvenient, you’d think they would announce it sooner.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why someones marital status matters at all when you just voice cartoon characters.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Not sure why someones marital status matters at all when you just voice cartoon characters.

Short answer: Japanese fans are insane.

Long answer: Japanese fans get very possessive of celebrities and voice actors are celebrities among otaku. Seiyuu hide their marriages and/or relationships because they (or their managers) worry that they would lose fans if they revealed that they "belong to someone else" and not their fans. They always have to apologize for being married, like that's some evil deed against their fans, and some married voice actors who have publicly admitted to being married even remove their rings for certain shoots in fear of backlash. It's weird, but that's Japan.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

Wrath of the so-called fans. I can't claim any special knowledge, I guess this means Purity Control extends even to male actors, though it is most prevalent amongst the idol group obsessive-compulsives.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This is one big shocker that even the most obsessed fans will have to understand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn't mention that he's in TsukiPro this season? Okay.
Kind of funny, tbh. Good for him, though, I guess.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I remember there being an idol that was exposed to have *gasp!* a boyfriend, and the way her fans and the media reacted you'd think she'd murdered someone. So I don't blame these celebrities for keeping their personal lives on the down-low.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Makes you wonder how many other Japanese talent out there are secretly married?

Fortunately, little by little the culture of secrecy is being eroded away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Why is that good? I like that people can have their own lives.

There are a lot of mangaka who never even reveal their faces or real names. I like that they can do that there. It's not more honest to insist on knowing those things, it's just invasive.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

Why is that good? I like that people can have their own lives.

There are a lot of mangaka who never even reveal their faces or real names. I like that they can do that there. It's not more honest to insist on knowing those things, it's just invasive.

People being able to have their privacy is a good thing. People being FORCED to hide things like being in a relationship because if they don't their fans will rebel is not.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
An idol not revealing that she's married or in a relationship does make some sense given that the idol is sort of putting herself out there as the girl that everyone wishes were their girlfriend, but the whole idol thing is downright weird in the first place.

But the fact that Japanese actors in general seem to either hide their marriages or announce them is definitely weird IMHO. I mean, I can understand wanting to keep your spouse out of the limelight, and I can understand answering the question of whether you're married when you're asked, but on the whole, I would have thought that the whole marriage thing would just be your private life and have nothing to do with being an actor, and you wouldn't announce anything about it, whereas it seems like we see marriage announcements for some Japanese actor or other on ANN just about every week. It all seems bizarre to me. Then again, I'm not Japanese, and I'm definitely not in show biz.

And of course, you do get some of the same nonsense with American celebrities, but there it seems more like it's the paparazzi stalking them to find everything out about their personal lives rather than them announcing everything.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes There's a reason women feel more obligated to announce their marital status besides that "exclusivity with the fans" nonsense. If they get pregnant, they're choices within an unfortunately traditional (and judgmental) media culture are to drop off the face of the earth for a few months+ or announce how happily married they are. You'll notice that most female talent keep things private until they "can't". Often, male talent announce around the birth of a kid, too, come to think of it.

In American/Western media, we might not be as hateful towards female celebrities in a relationship, but paparazzi are always chomping at the bit to break a "baby bump" story, so most women in the spotlight choose to announce their pregnancies to the press on their own terms rather than have the press tell their friends and families for them, which is probably awful.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
How’d he manage to hide it for seven years? And why? I mean you wouldn’t want to put them in the spotlight as they aren’t an industry member and maybe avoiding announcing the marriage immediately would be advisable considering the fandom culture in Japan, but seven years seems excessive and if it were inconvenient, you’d think they would announce it sooner.

Perhaps his agent and industry friends knew but he was just beating around the bush to tell fans.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Considering the commonplace adultery and promiscuity amongst Western celebrities, those kinds of obsessive fans wouldn't see any celeb relationship as a barrier to their fantasies, especially with the inevitable divorce and x th marriage just around the corner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2