• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paramount Picks Up Sonic the Hedgehog Film Rights

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I just assumed that the filmmakers and staff realized that it was probably going to turn out to be crud, and just cancelled the project, but apparently this is still being made for some reason.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It’s going to be terrible. End of story.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the story being good, Paramount has proven themselves with the "Transformers" movies being the most financially successful anime-based movie adaptations with over $4 billion at the global box office. So, a Sonic movie might not suck at much.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Me,I hope that this does work out well. I'd be interested in seeing it. Hopefully,it'll work out and it'd be good. And,I don't know about the writer but it should be "Sonic the Hedgehog,"not "Sonic the Hedgehod." You may need to make a correction on this one.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Regardless of the story being good, Paramount has proven themselves with the "Transformers" movies being the most financially successful anime-based movie adaptations with over $4 billion at the global box office. So, a Sonic movie might not suck at much.

Transformers movies are loathed, and the only reason they make money is because they are built on a successful brand. Sonic will never reach the popularity of Transformers, and video game adaptations (especially live-action ones) tend to be flops, the only real exception being Warcraft. Paramount is not Disney; it can't coast off of company recognition either - in fact, it has the smallest market share out of all the Six Major Studios.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
If you thought Sonic wasn't bad enough in video game form.........
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
I just think it's funny they got a Fast & the Furious guy to work on this. Sonic: 2 Fast, 2 Furious, ALL Hedgehog! Laughing
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
plus getting away from Sony pictures was a good move, that company became such a dumpster fire in recent years, but even if it does well it's still going to suck.
Satanichia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
It will be brilliant. Can't wait for this flawless film to reach my eyes.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
With all the shakeups and management changes at the studio, it will be interesting to see if this happens and how it turns out. Although, a change in Chinese financial regulations hurt their financing a little, but they are suppose to have replacement funding in place if the payment doesn't come through. That could delay the film a little, if it does move forward.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Neal Moritz (Fast & Furious franchise) remains attached to the project as executive producer alongside Tim Miller (Deadpool) and Toby Ascher, and Jeff Fowler would direct. Dmitri Johnson and Dan Jevons are co-producing the project.

"...But that's not going to help them, because we know everything they're going to do. Strange, isn't it?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
ANN Change me this ugly thumbnail picture and put a real Sonic Picture Evil or Very Mad
Haysey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
...can't we just have a good animated movie in the same style as the Sonic CD opening (and Sonic Mania trailer) rather the CG mixed live action?

...please?
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
Haysey wrote:
...can't we just have a good animated movie in the same style as the Sonic CD opening (and Sonic Mania trailer) rather the CG mixed live action?

...please?

I'm not a very religious person, but Sega... if you're out there, please make this happen. CG is great when Pixar is doing it, and honestly, it's better than 2D animation in films most of the time these days, but Sonic just doesn't feel right in CG.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="Gemnist"]
Kadmos1 wrote:

Transformers movies are loathed, and the only reason they make money is because they are built on a successful brand. Sonic will never reach the popularity of Transformers, and video game adaptations (especially live-action ones) tend to be flops, the only real exception being Warcraft.

Warcraft also didn't do very well domestically. It was pretty much entirely saved by the fact that the foreign markets (especially China) went absolutely bonkers for it.

...Does Sonic have a lot of brand recognition outside the U.S. (excepting Japan, obviously)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3