• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Tops Both Blu-ray, DVD Charts for 1st Time

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azumi14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
I got the limited edition and it was worth it
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
I thought it would sell more honestly. I thought it would have at least been around the 180,000 BD/DVD copies that the Girls und Panzer movie sold its first week but it was actually 50,000 copies less than that. SAO surely has a bigger fanbase than GuP but maybe it skews a lot younger so they'd be less able to afford or even want the home video release of the movie? Interesting.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I thought it would sell more honestly. I thought it would have at least been around the 180,000 BD/DVD copies that the Girls und Panzer movie sold its first week but it was actually 50,000 copies less than that. SAO surely has a bigger fanbase than GuP but maybe it skews a lot younger so they'd be less able to afford or even want the home video release of the movie? Interesting.

There still that "stigma" of liking SAO, so many just watch it in the theatres/rental or via questionable method.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
There still that "stigma" of liking SAO, so many just watch it in the theatres/rental or via questionable method.

I suspect that's just a Western anime fan thing. And really only among the haters. Most SAO simply don't care what the haters of the world think.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

I suspect that's just a Western anime fan thing. And really only among the haters. Most SAO simply don't care what the haters of the world think.

I know, right? People actually enjoying anime? What a concept! (^.^)

But yes, 10/10 movie. Solid emotional content, great themes and brilliant fanservice moments. In that regard, it's like the anti-Digimon tri. where the fanservice was written to fit the movie, not the other way around.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
But yes, 10/10 movie. Solid emotional content, great themes and brilliant fanservice moments. In that regard, it's like the anti-Digimon tri. where the fanservice was written to fit the movie, not the other way around.

Bless at Mage in A Barrel said it perfectly - the entire movie was a love letter to SAO fans. It presumed you were familiar with the series and *wanted* to see the movie. The numbers show that was exactly the right approach... Despite the noise generated by the haters and the hipsters SAO is a wildly popular franchise.
Crext

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest. I thought it was going to suck because it would be all fan hype defending their addiction, but it turned out pretty good. Good for you SAO, good for you...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1