• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul:re GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
While I realize it may not be prevalent in these particular volumes but Ishida uses a lot of references to tarot cards, specifically the major arcana and most of the volumes have at least one if not more themes to their numbered counterpart.
For example, 15 which would be the overall volume of TG as a whole would be 'the devil' and means(from a quick google search): Bondage, addiction, sexuality, materialism. Turned upside down it represents: Detachment, breaking free, power reclaimed.
Both meanings can be attributed to Sasaki and Kaneki personalities.
For example, you could say Sasaki is bound by his lack of past and therefore addicted to his role as mentor of the Qs
Then you have his Kaneki(aka shironeki as his white-haired post-Jason version is sometimes called) persona which wants to break free of Sasaki's mind and as a result of the fight against Serpent, he reclaims some power within Sasaki's mind as well as temporarily assisting Sasaki on the outside.
And if this all seems like a far-fetched theory regarding arcana then just keep it in mind with the upcoming volumes and remember the last time we saw spoiler[Takizawa preparing for the anteiku raid he was bawling his eyes out while his tears formed the number 15]
And the condition of said person at the end of the second volume should be proof enough3
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
the other thing is that ken wasn't decapitated in the final vol. spoiler[ he was gored by that guy in the glasses and his eyes were destroyed to the point that it felt way too brutal even for my taste.]

the real question is how are they going to do this for the anime version? since root a's ending is extremely different from the manga, they would more or less need an OVA of the entire raid and kaneki's battle with arima.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they just ignore the disaster of Root A entirely and pick up from the manga Blue Exorcist-style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1