• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation to Release Gintama' Season 3 on BD/DVD in March

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
The return of Gintama after 8 years. Didn't expect that. C;C and Handshakers. Nice.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
The return of Gintama after 8 years. Didn't expect that.

How is this surprising? Didn't Crunchyroll start streaming dubbed episodes of it a while back?
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
The problem here is who will buy a series that being released in the middle of it and has no guarantee of getting the earlier or even later parts of it?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
I wonder if them starting so far into the show has anything to do with Sunrise moving Gintama over to their Bandai Namco pictures Studio? I would like to own Gintama on home video but it's going to suck if I always have a huge hole in the middle of my collection.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
Just as an FYI, this release is actually for Gintama° (2015), not the Gintama' (2012) page the article links to.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
KH91 wrote:

How is this surprising? Didn't Crunchyroll start streaming dubbed episodes of it a while back?

CR has always been streaming the subbed version and I only thought Sentai dubbed the movie, not the TV eps. In any cae, the issue is the home video release, which appears to be a big mess. Hopefully Funi can grab the rest of older episodes including the first season Sentai had. But is Funi going to dub all of Gintama?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
KH91 wrote:

CR has always been streaming the subbed version and I only thought Sentai dubbed the movie, not the TV eps. In any cae, the issue is the home video release, which appears to be a big mess. Hopefully Funi can grab the rest of older episodes including the first season Sentai had. But is Funi going to dub all of Gintama?
Funimation didn't dub S3 either. It was dubbed by Ocean Group on order by Crunchyroll.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
Based on sales of season 3, maybe they will dub some more. Some have said that they can't get season 1 because Sentai still own the rights, but surly it won't be long before that expires. Because starting this late, is going to put off some people.

It is great that Bungo Stray Dogs is getting a dub, I wonder when they will announce the cast.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I wonder if them starting so far into the show has anything to do with Sunrise moving Gintama over to their Bandai Namco pictures Studio? I would like to own Gintama on home video but it's going to suck if I always have a huge hole in the middle of my collection.

The more common speculation is that Sentai still has control over the first season. I guess they figured if they're going to start a load of episodes in, they might as well start with (what was then) the most recent ones.
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Already pre-ordered! Still holding out hope we get versions of the Japanese BR sets at some point
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Just as an FYI, this release is actually for Gintama° (2015), not the Gintama' (2012) page the article links to.

Yeah, I was confused when I saw the announcement. What with it being announced as Part 1 of a season that only had 13 episodes.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
The problem here is who will buy a series that being released in the middle of it and has no guarantee of getting the earlier or even later parts of it?
people that are already fans of the show like me. Plus it doesn’t take much than a google search to figure out why it was released at this point in the series.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Well, it's good to see more of the anime coming out here, particularly given that Viz dropped the manga. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1