• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranking the Best Anime from Studio Trigger

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
For the time being, Kill La Kill is still my favourite Trigger show. That may change depending how good their up coming trio is.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
So happy to see Turning Girls make the list. The "animation" looks like it was put together in Powerpoint, but it's such a charming (and often very funny) little series. It's amusingly bizarre that the story of the series' creation sounds like something out of an anime, while the series itself is surprisingly relateable.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't dislike Inferno Cop, but I didn't think it was all that funny. (And I do find most of Pop Team Epic pretty funny.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Depends what mood I'm in - Little Witch for pure joy, Kill La Kill for pure mayhem.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I have only watched 3 shows from Trigger, which has quickly become a great studio. I rank them:

1. Kill la Kill
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Kiznaiver
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Inferno Cop is the GOAT (though "shitty anime" go back a lot further). Then Ninja Slayer went & said "you know what would make Inferno Cop better? Making it 4 hours long!" It was wrong. So wrong Sad
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I heard about Turning Girls from Evan some time ago, but totally forgot to actually watch the thing. It's on YouTube, so I guess I'll get on that!
As a fan of animation, Trigger has been a favorite studio of mine for a while. Or rather, the staff there have been. So I'm really glad to see them get together with their friends from the 00s at Gainax and make Darling. We'll see where that goes, but it's definitely Gainax in a lot of ways.
Anyway, this is my Trigger list of things from them I liked:
1. Kill La Kill
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Space Patrol Luluco
4. Kiznaiver
5. Sex and Violence with Machspeed
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Good to see some luluco love. I've watched it 3 times during/since it aired and it's always a good time. Little Witch Academia is also pure fun in all its iterations. After watching some of the tv dub recently it's pretty good as well. I'm not as crazy about Kill La Kill as most people seem to be but i enjoyed it when i wactched it a couple years ago.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
complete with a Hulk lookalike (Imaishi's favorite superhero)

Sweet, mine too. : D

Little known fun fact: The opening to OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes was storyboarded by Imaishi. : )

Short but sweet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyHZQARrnM

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow I thought I was the only one who saw Turning Girls and liked it lol. That shows ending song is awesome too.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I really hate all over-the-top stuff. Not funny, often "ugly" style but good animation. My favorite from them was probably Inou Battle, and then Little Witch (TV). Darling in the Franxx is off to a pretty enjoyable start tho
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, Trigger shows are certainly never boring and i really like the art style. My ranking would go as follow:

1. Kill la Kill
2. Space Patrol Luluco
3. Turning Girls
4. Little Witch Academia
5. Ninja Slayer
6. Kiznaiver
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
My favorite Trigger anime is still Kill la Kill; just, so good. As for the rest of the list, it's the following:

2. Little Witch Academia (the franchise as a whole)
3. Space Patrol Luluco
4. Inferno Cop
5. Kiznaiver

Also, it's not a full anime or anything, but I'd be remiss to not mention the opening for the fake TV show Battlesaurs, animated by Studio Trigger and directed by Imaishi for Disney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXt9XgxM7zo

Darling in the Franxx is... alright, but I'm looking for more. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from them, and I actually didn't know about Turning Girls; I'll have to look that one up.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill, Luluco and Inferno Cop are all the shows I enjoyed from Trigger. Inferno Cop isn't as funny on rewatch, Luluco obviously gets some of its appeal in the crossover (I mean it's a least a third of the show if not half) and while I watched Kill la Kill before I was really into anime I remember I kept thinking it had one good episode then one bad episode for a couple of months during its run.

Kiznaiver and Inou-Battle had both one really good scene hidden in mostly OK shows.

I still remember how ANN was going to review the second half of Ninja Slayer and didn't. Not that it was good, all I remember is the end had a different sprite.
broodo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
When you realize you've seen all of them EXCEPT Inferno Cop. I really liked Turning Girls myself. Probably because the animation, what little there was, was so bad but the premise holds it together.

Kill la Kill
Little Witch Academia
Space Patrol Luluco
Turning Girls
Sex & Violence w/ Machspeed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2