• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alita: Battle Angel Film Pushed Back to December 21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It should not come as a surprise for that 5-month delay as the movie was delayed or development limbo for years before.
dannphou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
This will probably bomb because of Aquaman and Bumblebee in the same week.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:

Actually with how much the DCEU and Transformers franchises are falling in the USA if Fox thinks this will get good reviews we may be surprised.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It was already dumb of Warner and Paramount to pit Aquaman and Bumblebee against each other. Now Fox is taking it to the next level by throwing Alita to the wolves. Honestly, these three movies will probably cannibalize each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they all under-perform now. Hopefully Alita will at least get respectable reviews. Also hoping for an R-rating.

At least there's no Star Wars to compete with this holiday season, unless Disney pushes Solo back (that honestly would not surprise me either).
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It was already dumb of Warner and Paramount to pit Aquaman and Bumblebee against each other. Now Fox is taking it to the next level by throwing Alita to the wolves. Honestly, these three movies will probably cannibalize each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they all under-perform now. Hopefully Alita will at least get respectable reviews. Also hoping for an R-rating.

At least there's no Star Wars to compete with this holiday season, unless Disney pushes Solo back (that honestly would not surprise me either).

Competition is dumb? interesting view. It would be better if every 'blockbuster budgeted' film had direct competition but alas film studios are cowards and only 'compete' when the competition is looked to fail.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
5 months to try to find a way to fix those goddamn eyes. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UnifiedDivyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

But they don't need "fixing"...
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
dannphou wrote:

Actually with how much the DCEU and Transformers franchises are falling in the USA if Fox thinks this will get good reviews we may be surprised.

The USA doesn't make up the entire world. The huge numbers contributing to Transformers' recent earnings are coming from other countries whereas domestic viewing has dropped. International numbers are still huge. And while the last film might not have done as well as the others it still made $600 million and this spin off is directed by someone new with a critically acclaimed film to his name.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I was already doubtful about this movie to begin with and this delay doesn't exactly encourage any confidence in the movie. I just wish Hollywood would give up on trying to remake anime and focus more on doing something original instead of remaking everything for a change .
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Competition is dumb? interesting view. It would be better if every 'blockbuster budgeted' film had direct competition but alas film studios are cowards and only 'compete' when the competition is looked to fail.

In this context, it absolutely is. These films are all competing for virtually the same audience and demographic, and when this much money is on the line, that definitely is a big deal. Alita might be the big loser, sadly, because Aquaman and Bumblebee are from far more established brands in the US.

Just last year, one of the reasons Justice League underperformed as badly as it did was because Thor: Ragnarok came out just two weeks prior. Both were superhero movies with similar, if not identical, target audiences.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:

Piscine superheroes, apian car-beings or those eyes. Very much a case of picking one's poison for the casual sci-fi moviegoer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Fox realizes it has a disaster on its hands...just sayin'.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
Ushio wrote:
dannphou wrote:

The USA doesn't make up the entire world. The huge numbers contributing to Transformers' recent earnings are coming from other countries whereas domestic viewing has dropped. International numbers are still huge. And while the last film might not have done as well as the others it still made $600 million and this spin off is directed by someone new with a critically acclaimed film to his name.

Yeah but we are talking about the US release date international release dates are different.

There 3 films will not get simultaneous release dates in the big international markets.

Last years Transformers may have made $600 million last year but it still lost money that's what happens when you spend $220 to make the film over $100 million on world wide marketing and distribution and pull in less than $270 million after theatre chains take their cut.

All international markets have had enough of Transformers. Last year's pulled in a $230 million boxoffice excluding US and China compared to $540 million for 2014's Transformers.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

They should also give her proper "octopus lips" while they're at it!

(Realistically, I think they'll leave her with the big eyes and normal lips, but it's nice to dream Smile)
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Re:SOUL"][quote="Ushio"]
dannphou wrote:

Many of you still don't understand the numbers game being run here.
You have almost a better chance of striking it big in Las Vegas playing craps than a HIGH-budget motion picture actually seeing a profit!
Part of why the sale of 20th Century Fox to Disney was concluded so quickly was because NewsCorp HATED the unpredictability of the motion picture business and didn't want to deal with that risk anymore!!!

The Hollywood Studios still make a HIGHER PERCENTAGE from US exhibitions than they do overseas. They get AT LEAST half (50%) of the movie generated in ticket sales from US exhibition.

They don't always get half the box-office money elsewhere.

In fact, I'd bet they're lucky if they see 40% of the money earned from most exhibitions outside the States. By territory, the percentage earned is LESS but remember they have to pay the exhibitors/theater chains and they DON'T all belong to the same company, either!

In China, for instance, the market Hollywood THOUGHT was going to save the movie industry from its addition to high-budget, they get MAYBE 25% of the ticket receipts -- that's if they're not being cheated!
Accounting practices have always been a problem with the entertainment industry (people learn very quickly what the difference between Gross and Net Profit is!) but they're naive if they think exhibitors overseas don't play that little accounting/shell game as good or better than they do.

There are crooks everywhere in every color.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2