• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Responds to Azur Lane Game Controversy Linking Feminism to 'Antisocial Groups'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Re-starting this thread. Please keep it friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the game for iOS and Android devices, players collect World War II ships from various countries and use fleets of six ships to battle enemies.

That sure does sound familiar!
WEL

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
funny how ANN avoids mentioning that the post she liked was from Megalia. They are an insane feminist group that used to post pictures of sliced penises and that's why they are considered by many to be an "antosocial group". Laughing
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I am sincerely afraid of what will happen in the future when the word "feminism" has gained such a negative meaning. Feminism is supposed to be about equality of the sexes. Man-hating is a totally different thing that unfortunately managed to undermine what was earned in the course of centuries literally through blood. It's not just too bad, it's actually downright scary.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
I am sincerely afraid of what will happen in the future when the word "feminism" has gained such a negative meaning. Feminism is supposed to be about equality of the sexes. Man-hating is a totally different thing that unfortunately managed to undermine what was earned in the course of centuries literally through blood. It's not just too bad, it's actually downright scary.

The problem was the good meaning moderates don't denounce the extremists. So the extremists get to operate under the protective umbrella of a good cause. Instead of recognizing extremists exist in their midst they just assumed anyone speaking up was immediately an enemy. This is how the extremists pushed many moderates to be associated with those on the opposite end of extremism. "No, my extremists are just making a joke, but my moderates-turned-reactionaries former friends must be Hitler."

Also modern Feminism suffers from what I see as two flaws. Impatience, and a lack of measurable goals. The trend towards equality has marched their way for decades without slowing down. What is the victory condition when the soldiers for equality can put down their bayonets and go home? Equality under the law? Got it. Equal pay? Against the law to not do so. If you're being paid differently for the same work, that's already illegal. 50/50 gender spread across formerly male professions, what about female dominated professions? If you compare oppressive countries to 'free' ones, free females don't migrate into STEM as much as they do in more patriarchal backwards countries.

I'm positive these discussions could be worked on by both sides to a mutual benefit of all. But if only one side is allowed to keep their extremists, the other side knows they are not being treated fairly and will withdrawn from the conversation, as the extremists purge more and more people on their own side, eventually dooming their own movement.

That's a study on Extremism in general, and not limited to this case.

And yes, Megalia are an extreme group. So moderates operating in good faith on both sides should call out these extremists.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Considering what that illustration looks like it does seem unlikely that she is a radical feminist. At the same time though this event happened in another language so I can't tell what tweet she liked, what that person has said on Twitter in the past, or any other information that might explain why this was a big deal in Korea.

WEL wrote:
funny how ANN avoids mentioning that the post she liked was from Megalia.
If that is what happened that would explain a lot. Megalia is a radical feminist website with a notorious reputation. The anonymous posters on Megalia compete to see how crude and hateful they can be towards men.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Compelled to Reply hasn't felt, well, compelled to reply to this article yet.

Chrono1000 wrote:
]If that is what happened that would explain a lot. Megalia is a radical feminist website with a notorious reputation. The anonymous posters on Megalia compete to see how crude and hateful they can be towards men.

That might explain a lot if what they'd asked (demanded) her to say was "I have no relation to antisocial groups, and I do not support Megalia." But they didn't & here we are.
Dr. Walrus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering what that illustration looks like it does seem unlikely that she is a radical feminist. At the same time though this event happened in another language so I can't tell what tweet she liked, what that person has said on Twitter in the past, or any other information that might explain why this was a big deal in Korea.

WEL wrote:
funny how ANN avoids mentioning that the post she liked was from Megalia.
If that is what happened that would explain a lot. Megalia is a radical feminist website with a notorious reputation. The anonymous posters on Megalia compete to see how crude and hateful they can be towards men.

If you describe Megalia like that, it just sounds like the female version of 4chan. Nobody except for the reactionary media pretends to take them seriously. Why are they treated with such fear when its probably just women venting and competing to say the grossest shit?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Walrus wrote:
If you describe Megalia like that, it just sounds like the female version of 4chan. Nobody except for the reactionary media pretends to take them seriously.

I really hope this is just really, really, really good sarcasm, or have you already forgotten Gamergate?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Dr. Walrus wrote:
If you describe Megalia like that, it just sounds like the female version of 4chan. Nobody except for the reactionary media pretends to take them seriously.

I really hope this is just really, really, really good sarcasm, or have you already forgotten Gamergate?

Don't say the summoning word!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
I am sincerely afraid of what will happen in the future when the word "feminism" has gained such a negative meaning.

In the future? I feel in many places it already has, right now. Problem being the extremist content that freely adopts the use of the word. Another is as already mentioned how in the West many large goals have been achieved (though still things remain to be done) so lot of "unfinished business" is extremism that's been pushed up. (Personally I think the word itself is a little troublesome too as it sounds like the inverse of chauvinism.) All in all to avoid lengthy pointless discussions I say the word for the ideals I back is egalitarianism.

But to get back to the article topic, I'm waiting for the artist to explain why a like on a Megalia post. Hideous ignorance?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
That would explain a lot if what they'd asked (demanded) her to say was "I have no relation to antisocial groups, and I do not support Megalia." But they didn't & here we are.
I looked on her Twitter feed and she posted an article about this issue in English. The company asked her to post: "I have no relation to Megalia whatsoever, and I do not support Feminism." They might have gone a bit far with the second part but it sounds like it was mainly about Megalia.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the game for iOS and Android devices, players collect World War II ships from various countries and use fleets of six ships to battle enemies.

Yeah, that was the more auspicious part than whatever controversy is being fished out due to an online political difference spat.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow... One out of two things happened here:

1 - Despite the fact that the word feminism refers to a movement for women's rights, several segments of that movement became toxic in various forms, and those toxic forms of feminism (radical feminism) are the ones with most publicity. Since then, for the untrained, the word feminist means man-hating. Under that optic, being a feminist means being anti-social, and thus this...

or

2 - These people are the same kind of people that started Gamergate, and even your most correct form of feminism will be deemmed man-hating, and thus this.

It's one of these two, really.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the previous female South Korean president involved with some weird feminist goddess cult? You can't really blame Koreans for being offended by it, especially with the boycotts that incident involved.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. I double checked, and it just seemed to be a weird cult in general.

Judging from other posts, the controversy seems to be that the feminist group seems to be known for being violent. I'd say calling them just an average feminist group is as misleading as calling antifa just a normal left-wing group.

Megiddo wrote:
Dr. Walrus wrote:

Shh, just let history repeat itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5