• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo Anime's English Dub Previewed in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtil

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
nice to hear the original voice of Tenchi. i'm surprised Ai Tenchi Muyo got a dub to begin with.
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
They glossed over the one thing I think we all wanted to hear: Petrea Burchard's voice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
nice to hear the original voice of Tenchi. i'm surprised Ai Tenchi Muyo got a dub to begin with.

which is a surprise to begin with considering that the rumorville was stating that those ryo-oki OVAs featuring tokimi was going to be his final role as a VA before retiring.

i was expecting that there was going to be a new VA for tenchi when it came to AI and when the OVA sequel to ryo-oki gets released! that is unless it got canceled that is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
My user name is mostly a legacy thing at this point than it is a reflection of the kind of anime I'm into today compared to what I was into 16 years ago and I haven't seen any new Tenchi Muyo made in the past decade, but I am curious about one thing about Ai Tenchi Muyo: how much does it feel like a "bureau of tourism" advertisement for the small city of Takahashi, Okayama, which has a population of only around 31,000?

I know Takahashi is the closest city of any size to the approximate location of the Masaki Shrine in western Okayama Prefecture, so Tenchi Muyo was an obvious choice for an anime-based cross-promotion with the local tourism board, but I'm still amazed that they were able to produce 50 short episodes promoting a city with such a small population, even if I'm assuming some of the plot-heavier episodes don't focus as much on the local shrines, museums, and shopping streets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
^^^
As I recall (and I've forgotten a lot of it- as it is forgettable), it doesn't. Just another way the series was a failure. funded by a tourist board but almost all of it is spent in a fictional school, the underground chamber beneath it, and parallel worlds or something. I think they maybe retreat to the town at the end while they battle whatever menace they're facing.
...I can't even remember how the thing ended. Ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to hear Matt K Miller and Sherry Lynn in their iconic roles again even though I'm not that interested in Ai. I'm not sure how I feel about Washu's new VA because I can't imagine anyone else playing her. I wish we could have gotten to hear how Cherami Leigh sounds as Ayeka and a clip of Petrea Burchard would have been nice. The one thing I always wondered about Ai is if it takes place in the same canon as Tenchi Universe, why isn't Kiyone in Ai any? Kiyone was always one of my favorite characters and I feel like I would have more interest in Ai if Kiyone was in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1