• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE Blu Ray Collection 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Tried a bit and never really liked it, it seems to want to keep everything that I dislike about gundam show and throw out everything I liked (why would you ever make a character in homage of Kamille is beyond me).

But I'm still pretty sad that the show did badly because it means the gunplay sold so poorly that they cancel the line, which is a real shame since they were really nice, both HG and MG. Pretty sad we didn't get an MG of the age FX.

I think the show just tried to do everything at once, be a gundam for a new generation while appealing to the old one too. In the end it pleased no one.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote

Except it was a kids show? In fact, it was the youngest targeted demographic for the series, not counting SD Gundam Force.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
This definitely was an awkward Gundam to watch. Asemu's arc is the most mature of the trio, and seems to be the main draw for AGE (which isn't saying much), and its homages to the original Gundam are a tad on the rushed side of things. I wouldn't recommend this one too much, despite the enemy mobile suits being particularly cool in design as stated in the review (I bought the figure of their main grunt unit before I started watching the anime). The character designs are also a tad silly when placed next to the serious look of the giant mecha. The biggest offender, though, is the final arc, which is just plain ridiculous to sit through.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
The AGE gimmick was its flaw I thought. Would've been much better if they just focused on one story arc to develop for 49 episodes.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It would be interesting if Sunrise took a risk and let its Korean subcontractors script a show loosely based on their own military experiences (South Korea has universal conscription that has a reputation for being quite miserable).
Titus-A

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gundam AGE was great. To hell with it's naysayers, end of.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Titus-A wrote:

If it was so good then why was it a commercial & critical bomb that almost killed the entire franchise?

If a show is that much of a failure then its definitely not great or even good.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Titus-A wrote:
You can like something considered really bad without having to invalidate its flaws, you know?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Titus-A wrote:

If it was so good then why was it a commercial & critical bomb that almost killed the entire franchise?

If a show is that much of a failure then its definitely not great or even good.

Popularity/unpopularity has nothing to do with if something is good or not. That's faulty logic.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess I honestly don't get the whole appealing to kids thing Gundam tries to do as I know kids are going to watch the more adult and mature shows and movies anyway. Also from the very beginning Gundam has always been a rather dark and mature war story and the kiddie style of AGE really oft puts any of the darkness the show probably has.

Maybe it's just I like G Gundam's trying to appeal to kids slightly better as it doesn't have characters that look like they come out of a Pokemon anime.

Then again sometimes then the franchise tries to appeal to teenage girls and you get shows like Wing, Seed etc.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
All Gundam shows are intended for children. Gundam is a children's franchise. It's absurd that someone can dismiss something based on whether it is "for children" or "not for children". Before anyone argues that there was nothing for children in Gundam prior to G Gundam, you could use the same arguments about Star Wars. Star Wars deals with complex themes and mature themes, but it's for children regardless of the proportion of adults who consume media. Maturity is not inherently based being "adult" but in how one addresses subject matter.

Gundam AGE may be a show for children, but so were the 11 other Gundam TV series before it.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
All Gundam shows are intended for children. Gundam is a children's franchise. It's absurd that someone can dismiss something based on whether it is "for children" or "not for children". Before anyone argues that there was nothing for children in Gundam prior to G Gundam, you could use the same arguments about Star Wars. Star Wars deals with complex themes and mature themes, but it's for children regardless of the proportion of adults who consume media. Maturity is not inherently based being "adult" but in how one addresses subject matter.

Gundam AGE may be a show for children, but so were the 11 other Gundam TV series before it.

It is if you strictly think of it as being a binary choice (children or not children) but really it's a gradient and its obvious age was aiming for much younger people than previous gundam. The aesthetic are a dead giveaway (being practically copied off yokai watch and inazuma eleven). The protagonist also is an obvious clue, most show try to have a protagonist with the same age as the target audience (or slightly higher in the case of children show) and age had one of the youngest protagonist in the series (younger than Amuro was and much younger than Kamille).

There's also very few children show that tries to deal with the horror of war in a slightly greyer manners (most are at least aimed at teenager). Same for things like romance trouble and the like.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I'd see the day when a Hong Kong dub gets praised.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Well I mean the previous shows sold toys and models to children, but there wasn't an out and out need to appeal to younger audience members by messing with the art style or making it a cute little show like Fighters or making the pilot a super little kid who looks like a Pokemon character.

A Star Wars movie though is different from Gundam, it has a clear good vs. evil storyline that Gundam often doesn't follow. Sometimes Gundam gets murky with the line between good and evil with it's characters, it's very complex about it.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember I really didn't mind the flaws in the first two arcs.
But the third and last arc, where all the build up should have mattered, was a huge disappointment.

At least some (not all) of the battle scenes were cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3