• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: pixiv Representative Director Resigns From Company Amidst Lawsuits

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
If the allegations are true that's absolutely horrible, but if it were me, I would never involve myself with that guy again after the hotel incident, even as a minor. As gross as the massage thing is, she still agreed, and that's on her. There's no way she couldn't have known better by the time he asked her to stay at his apartment. And to sue the companies instead of him when we know she has money issues? All seems very convenient.

That said, it's not as if her claims are unbelievable. Things like this from people in positions like his come out all the time, and suddenly resigning only makes him look worse. I don't know anything personal about either party so it's impossible for me to judge.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
He admitted to all of the allegations with the exception of the hidden camera.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
I don't know anything personal about either party so it's impossible for me to judge.

sure didn't stop you in this post
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
If the allegations are true that's absolutely horrible, but if it were me, I would never involve myself with that guy again after the hotel incident, even as a minor. As gross as the massage thing is, she still agreed, and that's on her. There's no way she couldn't have known better by the time he asked her to stay at his apartment. And to sue the companies instead of him when we know she has money issues? All seems very convenient.

That said, it's not as if her claims are unbelievable. Things like this from people in positions like his come out all the time, and suddenly resigning only makes him look worse. I don't know anything personal about either party so it's impossible for me to judge.

Well, she couldn't not involve herself with him because he was running things. How was she supposed to avoid him?? He even interjected himself into situations with her. And supposing she voiced discomfort at any time, that means other people in the company knew and kept quiet. (Hence, makes sense to sue the company.) The fact that he was aggressively doing stuff like this should have been a sign to the parent company (Animate).

Given how many stories about sexual harassment and assault are coming up and how ubiquitous it is, her claims are highly likely to be true. You should research on MeToo for Japan, plus WeToo and see what people are saying. There's a lot of stories, and it makes this one seem sadly small for how common and frightening situations get.

I hope she's successful with the lawsuits, and that his libel amounts to nothing.

Also glad he resigned, and I hope the company doesn't try to sneak him back into power as these things sometimes go.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
The guy was definitely a predator preying on young vulnerable girls trying to
make it in the entertainment business, abusing his power and position.
He needed this wake up call, clearly he was living in some kind of fantasy world.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
He admitted to all of the allegations with the exception of the hidden camera.

That last one seems to be the most serious charge as well. Everything else is creepy but arguably consensual, but hiding a camera in the bathroom is a one-way ticket to the sex offender registry, at least Stateside, if it can be proven without consent. There has to be more to this story and so many psychological red flags. I wonder if any of the other girls in her idol unit experienced anything like this?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you can really argue that a boss targeting a financially vulnerable minor living away from home in an apartment unit he has access to, who he has contracted to be unable to seek any other employment, and then offers her additional income via "full body massages" as consensual.

I can come up with at least five other under the table job offers he could have given her to earn additional income that don't involve anything sexual or touching him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
I don't know anything personal about either party so it's impossible for me to judge.

sure didn't stop you in this post

Not really, I just stated a few observations based purely on the text. I never drew a conclusion.

manapear wrote:

Well, she couldn't not involve herself with him because he was running things. How was she supposed to avoid him?? He even interjected himself into situations with her. And supposing she voiced discomfort at any time, that means other people in the company knew and kept quiet. (Hence, makes sense to sue the company.) The fact that he was aggressively doing stuff like this should have been a sign to the parent company (Animate).

Given how many stories about sexual harassment and assault are coming up and how ubiquitous it is, her claims are highly likely to be true. You should research on MeToo for Japan, plus WeToo and see what people are saying. There's a lot of stories, and it makes this one seem sadly small for how common and frightening situations get.

I hope she's successful with the lawsuits, and that his libel amounts to nothing.

Also glad he resigned, and I hope the company doesn't try to sneak him back into power as these things sometimes go.

That wasn't mentioned in the article, makes a lot more sense now.
I haven't read into it too much but as I said, this sort of thing comes out as having happened all the time.
I don't know much about the legal proceedings but suing the company just seemed weird to me, which is what initially threw me off.
But yeah, considering he's admitted it, he's a creep who took advantage of her situation.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I don't know if you can really argue that a boss targeting a financially vulnerable minor living away from home in an apartment unit he has access to, who he has contracted to be unable to seek any other employment, and then offers her additional income via "full body massages" as consensual.

I can come up with at least five other under the table job offers he could have given her to earn additional income that don't involve anything sexual or touching him.

The power imbalance is clearly evident, but even if the exchange of these...'sevices' (yuck) was performed, we can continue to argue over the specific language and definition as much as we like. It is clearly explotative as you just described, but my sincere hope is that however this is represented in the resolution will not be detrimental to her based on this gross terminology.

It is certainly indicative that there is a seedier underside to the idol business that isn't played just for public entertainment.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
So the first one was a red flag and anybody with a brain would understand that he was a creep. But not for this woman who still asked for a job and still continued it after 6 months. The man can be put to blame ,but at the same time the girl could've stopped after the first event.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1