• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satomi Akesaka to Leave BanG Dream! Franchise Due to Sudden Hearing Loss

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
Man, it seems like there's a ton of seiyuus with health problems lately. I thought this was supposed to be the safe hobby, as opposed to actually animating or making manga. Twisted Evil
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
That is terrible. Rinko is one of my favorite girls from BanG Dream and Satomi did an excellent job of doing her shy and nervous character. I wish her good luck in her career. It is kind of interesting that a few of BanG Dream's female VAs have left due to various circumstances around the time of the announcement of a male band. Not saying that it is a coincidence but this is like karma on Bushiroad's part.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
so Roselia will have 2 original members gone. Weren't they the most popular band? That sucks but health of the human is most important.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
It is kind of interesting that a few of BanG Dream's female VAs have left due to various circumstances around the time of the announcement of a male band. Not saying that it is a coincidence but this is like karma on Bushiroad's part.

Karma? Come on, that's going too far. It's just a male band - nothing more, nothing less. It's not doing anything to the original Bandori.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Man, it seems like there's a ton of seiyuus with health problems lately.

I've been wanting to say this too, but didn't now how to say it tastefully.
And it always seems to be very unusual health problems.
alconnow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
It is kind of interesting that a few of BanG Dream's female VAs have left due to various circumstances around the time of the announcement of a male band. Not saying that it is a coincidence but this is like karma on Bushiroad's part.

Karma? You really need to get a grip and stop throwing a tantrum over the announcement of a male idol project.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Must be devastating having to stop doing something you love. Just wonder if it has to be due to being in a loud environment?

Wishing her a quick recovery!
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
That is terrible. Rinko is one of my favorite girls from BanG Dream and Satomi did an excellent job of doing her shy and nervous character. I wish her good luck in her career. It is kind of interesting that a few of BanG Dream's female VAs have left due to various circumstances around the time of the announcement of a male band. Not saying that it is a coincidence but this is like karma on Bushiroad's part.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist with this hot take.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
In the last 5 days, similar ANN articles include:
"Onsen Musume Replaces Ayaka Imamura With Mayu Yoshioka"
"Voice Actress Yuka Aisaka Goes on Hiatus to Recover Voice"
"DARLING in the FRANXX Anime Replaces Yuichiro Umehara With Daiki Hamano"
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In the last 5 days, similar ANN articles include:
"Onsen Musume Replaces Ayaka Imamura With Mayu Yoshioka"
"Voice Actress Yuka Aisaka Goes on Hiatus to Recover Voice"
"DARLING in the FRANXX Anime Replaces Yuichiro Umehara With Daiki Hamano"

Agencies are overworking their talent making a safe hobby an OSHA case. The agencies should stop overworking their talent before more people get hurt or die (we had a lot of premature deaths of seiyuu and other talent in 2016).
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Blatch wrote:
Man, it seems like there's a ton of seiyuus with health problems lately.

I've been wanting to say this too, but didn't now how to say it tastefully.
And it always seems to be very unusual health problems.

I feel bad for wanting to say the same thing. I feel so bad for all of them. I really do wish that all of them get better soon.
space.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Poor woman. Not too familiar with Bandori but hearing loss is a very sad condition and I wish nothing but the best for her and her career.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
So many people in the industry getting sick. What's going on?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
BanG Dream sure is living up to its name.
omoikane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Hope Akechan gets better...
Hoppy800 wrote:

Agencies are overworking their talent making a safe hobby an OSHA case. The agencies should stop overworking their talent before more people get hurt or die (we had a lot of premature deaths of seiyuu and other talent in 2016).

This is just the wrong view. Most seiyuu don't have steady work, and in Japan there are maybe up to 10000 people working as seiyuu in Japan or as part of that industry, so these kinds of things will happen just as a matter of course dealing with any large human demographic. What could be said is that today there is much more coverage on seiyuu news than 5, 10 years earlier. If anything, the unstable nature of the seiyuu job is more of an impact on health than "overwork" or anything like that. Dozens, hundreds if not thousands of people often compete for roles in a project, and a lot of work seiyuu end up getting are short stints that do not promise stable income. This leads to stress and people who may not be able to take care of themselves well financially. Plus it would be a big mistake to consider seiyuu in the same way as other kinds of talents in 2018, as there has been a big gap in terms of treatment of voice actors versus actors working in mainstream entertainment.

The main takeaway is that Bang Dream is doing something pretty rare, which is have seiyuu play like real bands. For Roselia this means practice playing rock music, and since the members are not really at a pro level, they have to practice, and that contributes to hearing problems for people in real rock bands, let alone seiyuu acting out rock bands. It's definitely an occupational hazard for anyone in a rock or metal type band, from the start. In this case it's too bad Akesaka's body is having trouble with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2