• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eureka Seven: Hi - Evolution Film's Teaser Reveals Title, New Story Set in Tokyo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
What in the actual fudge.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Umm...what.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
As long as I don’t have to see the words Play Back on the screen, I’ll be satisfied. At least more than with the latter part of the first film.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't this remind you of those Rebuild of Evangelion movies? Especially the third?
(Nope, I've got no idea either.)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
^^ Why all the bewilderment? The clip clearly shows the fight against proliferation of the scub coral shown in Ep47 of the original series and while ending credit artwork hinted that Anemone was a war orphan and Ep44 solidified that, it seems the new material is proposing an alternate history with Nirvash-like things figuring in the battle. It's not what I would have wanted but since they already mucked with the story in the first movie this isn't that outlandish and I have to ask, did no one wonder why the show was called Eureka Seven? I sure did and this has me a little curious on what they do about the answer. BTW, I really disliked the first film but my daughter actually liked it having liked the original so I guess I'm inclined to give it a chance. However, AO and Baby Nirvash (E7 OVA movie) are still way beyond my suspension of disbelief elasticity regarding deviations from the original story and the Play Back/Forward better not show up again or Mad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
It was called Eureka Seven because the Nirvash's power (the Seven Swell) took the form of a rainbow. Y'know, ROY G BIV. Seven colors.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy that they didn't do what they did to FMP and add CG Mechs, this film looks very nice.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Doesn't this remind you of those Rebuild of Evangelion movies? Especially the third?

Yeah, even how the titles written.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

I was just gonna ask that. The visual has a very Evangelion feel.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
I give up. I feel like E7 is just cursed. The original series is SO GOOD, but everything after has been garbage. I don't understand it. I haven't seen the first movie of this reboot, but I didn't hear great things ...
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how after two bad movies and a bad sequel series anyone is supposed to get excited for the third remixing of TV footage into a new (also probably bad) story

E7 has had like the most blown chances of any franchise I've ever seen
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

I was just gonna ask that. The visual has a very Evangelion feel.

As blatant as it is, it would not be foreign concept in E7, as the series was filled with homages and nods to previous giant robot series. I'm less perturbed knowing that, and given that they did such a good incorporating them into the original series—even if the visual is little too on-the-nose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
I'm not sure how after two bad movies and a bad sequel series anyone is supposed to get excited for the third remixing of TV footage into a new (also probably bad) story
Just me maybe? I whole heartedly believe that the original had so much content in the first half that could/needed to be cut.

What's the opinion on the film, not this one the stand alone one from 10 years ago. I just noticed that when criticising the follow up material no one mentioned it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Uh, wow, that's an interesting/surprising description. Even with the mixed response to the first movie, as a big Anemone fan, I'm quite interested to see what they do with this with her being the focus.

Edit: Agreed Sam Murai. Their take on this visual looks good too at least. Smile

MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm very happy that they didn't do what they did to FMP and add CG Mechs, this film looks very nice.

So far I don't think it's bothered me probably because I didn't find it surprising for FMP, since we started with studio Gonzo originally it's always been a CG-mecha-friendly series for me. Though I've only seen the beginning of this new season thus far in regards to if the new studio can keep up with the large amounts needed of CG.

That said, yeah, all the new animation for these new movies looks absolutely gorgeous as hell. I wish they'd re-animated the whole first movie since all the new footage is beautiful.

zrnzle500 wrote:
As long as I don’t have to see the words Play Back on the screen, I’ll be satisfied. At least more than with the latter part of the first film.

Yeah, pretty much every review mentions it negatively, I don't know what Kyoda was thinking. On the one hand non-chronological might have enabled fitting in more content but it sounds like about the same amount is covered that could have been covered chronologically and therefore with better flow.

That said, I've not fully seen it myself yet, just my friend's copy of the import blu-ray since I wasn't too concerned with spoilers and wanted to see the new animation.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much every review mentions it negatively, I don't know what Kyoda was thinking. On the one hand non-chronological might have enabled fitting in more content but it sounds like about the same amount is covered that could have been covered chronologically and therefore with better flow.

That said, I've not fully seen it myself yet, just my friend's copy of the import blu-ray since I wasn't too concerned with spoilers and wanted to see the new animation.

I think they could have done it with some non-chronological parts (like just one in medias res and a couple flashbacks to cover the material from before the set of episodes that make up the bulk of that part of the movie), they just went way overboard with it to the point that it harmed the flow of that part of the movie and didn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason to it, at least in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2