• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Fate/Extra Last Encore?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
It was all for the memes, Umu!

Nani, no Padoru?
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I had a roommate who played Fate/Extra and she explained to me all the in-depth details, so I went into this anime with some understanding on what was going on...And I still had to go back to several wiki pages to get the full gist.

It is definitely a visually stimulating anime, as some SHAFT properties are, so it was never really boring to watch. But I was actually excited for an episode about a crazy clown lady who ate her baby, of all things why cut that out!?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I had a roommate who played Fate/Extra and she explained to me all the in-depth details, so I went into this anime with some understanding on what was going on...And I still had to go back to several wiki pages to get the full gist.

It is definitely a visually stimulating anime, as some SHAFT properties are, so it was never really boring to watch. But I was actually excited for an episode about a crazy clown lady who ate her baby, of all things why cut that out!?

I have no idea other than that Nasu doesn't seem to get that his stories are inherently fantastical and absurdist.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The levelled structure of the game world was fitting, as the show is basically a guided tour deeper & deeper up nasu's arse.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Look, I love Nasu. I really, really do. But god damn it, this thing is a mess. It feels like Nasu by way of Sakurai. What with all that Nero pandering? I mean, I get what this is going for but for most people this thing must feel like watching 3.3 without ever touching anything else Eva.
And how dare them not have Tamamo? What sort of heresy is that? You can't have Fate Extra without best girl mikon!
spoiler[Still disaggree about UBW, however]
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
What a wreck of a show... For me this was the absolute definition of doing too much. I feel like whatever popularity this entry has comes mainly from the those who are a fan of Shaft's art style. As someone who hates the Shaft style of animation, which to me is a visual expression of how much of a mess this story was, is not at all a plus. It is without a doubt to me the weakest Nasuverse anime to date by a decent margin.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
lol now I really must watch this series.. anytime ANN trashes something it ends up not being that bad.

Guess I will need to watch the latest example of Fate/Dead Horse.. lol

In all seriousness though Fate/Extra wasn't a bad game.. never got around to playing CCC though so can't comment on the spinoff.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
lol now I really must watch this series.. anytime ANN trashes something it ends up not being that bad.

In all seriousness, though Fate/Extra wasn't a bad game.. never got around to playing CCC though so can't comment on the spinoff.

It's not that bad, but people that played the game are confused because Nasu rewrote the entire story, leaving only tiny pieces of the game in the adaptation. It's also incomplete at the moment, so that doesn't help, also, people are unprepared for Nasu's tendency to word vomit.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I had a hard time getting into it...at least until Red Saber showed up that is. She basically carries the show and made it at least watchable for me. Wish they'd hurry up and finish the story already though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

In all seriousness though Fate/Extra wasn't a bad game.. never got around to playing CCC though so can't comment on the spinoff.

and considering on how popular the game was, you really cant blame them for making an anime adaptation of fate/extra!

yes its confusing as hell, but all series that have the fate logo (excluding prisma illya) have to be confusing as hell! its basically its MO!

though personally, instead of an anime adaptations of extra and CCC , they should have did one for hollow ataraxia. i mean if heaven's feel can get one, i'm pretty sure nasu could make an anime adaptation of HA work since one of the reasons against making an anime adaptation of HF (which was that both of their visual novels have far too many ero scenes than the other fate visual novels to be properly adapted) have been resolved!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I found Fate/Extra LE rather straight forward, the only thing "difficult" would be presented a non western concept of the reincarnation cycle, but even that could be overlooked as it is in practice "Virtual Death Game".[/quote]
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if people were watching Last Encore just for the umu.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Jesus H. Christ are those seriously the subs for Last Encore? They're hideous.

Also Extra Shinji is a bro.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the reminder --- lately, if it's not on Crunchyroll, or not getting reviewed on ANN, I'll forget to watch it. I'll probably watch it for the Shaft, as I am not that much of a Nasu fan.

I really think they should have introduced Kotomine with "Youkoso, shounen".
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a total mess and a massive lockout to non-hardcore Type-Moon fans that is somewhat elevated by Shinbo doing his usual avant garde style directing complete with head tilts and lots of fan-service. Still, I was never bored watching it which puts it over the game version that I never finished or Unlimited Blade Works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2