• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch Sequel Is One February 2019 Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Happy yet also disappointed, was hoping for another 2 cour series tbh.
methedemon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote
Nooooo.......very disappointed. I wish they made it clear that it wouldn't be a new anime series when they announced it.
Gundamcero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:49 am Reply with quote
So glad it's not another series. This movie is so unnecessary and stupid. The series concluded just fine for this to shit all over it.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:49 am Reply with quote
I WANTED A 26 ANIME SEASON MY R3 Crying or Very sad
professorwho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness... after the train-wreck that was R2, we don't need a 2-cour series...
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
Now this feels even more pointless, why revive the series after a decade if you're just going to make one extra movie!? If you were going to make a sequel then at least have the guts to make it into a 2-cour anime like the previous ones!
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'm happy about it. More quality in a single movie than the entirety of R2.
ayashe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
This is a sequel to the alternate timeline movies, and not the tv series.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
LOL in other words its just awakening of the Trailblazer Code Geass ver lol Laughing Laughing
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
I knew the sequel wouldn't be a TV series when I noticed Okouchi was credited for "script" instead of "series composition" in the original announcement. Looking forward to this movie.
arzi5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
After discovering it's a movie, I'm not really excited about this sequel. Seems like they are trying to milk the series and I'm worried with the direction it is heading...
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
Why? Why on earth do this? If it was a new series, I could see the justification, as they'd be (presumably) going in a new direction with the story, and I suppose maybe they had more twists or turns to add, or maybe even a new artistic/creative vision (a long shot I know, but still possible). But this? A movie, explicitly to act as a finale? WHY? The finale we have is already amazing, why do this? And the worst part is, with a movie, there's just enough material to potentially fudge it up, but probably not enough to add anything meaningful. It's the worst of both worlds.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
arzi5 wrote:
After discovering it's a movie, I'm not really excited about this sequel. Seems like they are trying to milk the series and I'm worried with the direction it is heading...

Would it not be "milking" if this were a series? Honestly, that argument makes little sense.

Let's be frank. Everything ever made as part of a popular property is also a case of "milking". Almost every animation production in the history of humanity exists in order to make money. But, as a matter of fact, there can be both good and bad works resulting from said "milking". It is not necessarily a positive or a negative development.

Nothing makes a movie inherently worse than a TV series either. In fact, it might well be the opposite at least in terms of production values and overall technical skill.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Why? Why on earth do this? If it was a new series, I could see the justification, as they'd be (presumably) going in a new direction with the story, and I suppose maybe they had more twists or turns to add, or maybe even a new artistic/creative vision (a long shot I know, but still possible). But this? A movie, explicitly to act as a finale? WHY? The finale we have is already amazing, why do this? And the worst part is, with a movie, there's just enough material to potentially fudge it up, but probably not enough to add anything meaningful. It's the worst of both worlds.

I am not sure the implication means that they will end Code Geass forever and ever. It's impossible to have a detailed discussion at this point, because we have seen nothing so far, but why can't a movie also have a "new artistic/creative vision" for that matter?

R2 already had plenty of problems as a TV series without being a movie. If anything, I think a more streamlined running time for the continuation actually forces the staff to be smarter in terms of their choices and not spend too much time on irrelevant scenes.

Whether or not something is "meaningful" is in the eye of the beholder.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
And I was so sure it was going to be a new tv series. My interest in the CG sequel just took a nosedive. Hopefully it is a quality movie for those still interested.
imperative7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
As a fan of Code Geass and Lelouch being my absolute favorite character in all of anime, I'm not surprised by this project being a film instead of a full 25 or even 50 episode series.

From the beginning, Sunrise has never really supported Code Geass as a series. We need to remember that the first season aired late at night and wasn't expected to be a big hit despite those involved in it and the production team had to deal with various issues that came with Sunrise's lack of belief in the series. It was only after the series became a hit that Sunrise cared about the series at all and put more money into it (which we can see when we watch episodes 24 and 25 of season one).

And season two had Sunrise involved far more heavily in the series and creating problems for the production team according to different stories about the production. And after the series ended, Sunrise all but abandoned the franchise as they apparently never saw it in the same way as they saw Gundam, which is their bread and butter. And every time that anything tied to Code Geass came out and was popular, Sunrise was surprised by this.

So after 10 years since the series ended, and the ending was great, Sunrise are now allowing a continuation of a sort with this new movie. I'm excited about it and I can't wait to see it. And we will see it since Funimation has already licensed the new movies and they will license this new film for sure.

I am willing and happy to guarantee that this new film will become a hit and will do well at the box office, on home video, and sell lots of merchandise. And this will lead Sunrise to commission the team behind the series to expand this project into a full series set in the original timeline of R1 and R2. It will end up airing sometime in 2020. And this will happen since Sunrise always underestimates any franchise that they make that isn't Gundam in terms of being a viable franchise that will be profitable for them.

And after the horrible ending of Iron Blooded Orphans, I don't want to see a new main Gundam series or main Gundam film for at least 5-7 years so I really want the new Code Geass film to be great. And I get to chant for Zero one more time, so I'm happy. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2