• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Golden Kamuy Anime's 2nd Season Casts Katsuyuki Konishi as Shōi Koito

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
i really hope Geno has upped their production game for the 2nd season of GK. It deserves a better animated adaptation than what it's gotten so far. The story and characters are so great that you can forgive it, but sometimes it was so distracting that it took me out of it. Especially things like the CGI animals and the fire.

I'm of the opinion that if the GK anime adaptation had stellar animation it would be winning many more new fans. But instead, it's a hard sell and been the subject of mockery more than praise. It's really a shame because GK is a well-crafted and thoughtful manga.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Loved the first so I can't wait for more.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Karen Ressler wrote:
Golden Kamuy Anime's 2nd Season Casts Katsuyuki Konishi as Shōi Koito

...Katsuyuki Konishi will play Shōi Koito in the anime's second season.

The official site for the Golden Kamuy anime says:
Quote:
鯉登少尉(こいと・しょうい)

大日本帝国陸軍第七師団少尉。

Actually, '少尉' (shōi) is a Japanese term which means the rank of an officer. Not a given name. (In fact, in Golden Kamuy, the given name of the character in question is Otonoshin. Not Shōi.)
So when you deal with '鯉登少尉' in English text, probably it is better to write it as 'Second Lieutenant Koito' or something along those lines.
Also, if you intend to keep working as a journalist on Japan-related stuff, probably it is better for you to become able to distinguish Japanese titles from Japanese names.
If a Japanese journalist on US-related stuff read an English article about the 7th Fleet or something and she thought the fleet commander's given name was Vice and his middle name was Admiral, can you take her seriously?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
This character in particular needs someone to fit the part, possibly requiring the help of a dialect coach as well. Time will tell if the casting was good. He's got some memorable lines in the source material and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're portrayed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1