• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2nd Made in Abyss Compilation Film's Visual Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of compilation films in my time, but this one confuses me! Compilations make a lot of sense if they are condensing a long series into a shorter easier-to-digest format. Other reasons which make sense would be if they are adding new scenes, or perhaps redoing some of the animation, like they did with Madoka Magica. But making two compilation movies out of Made in Abyss? That seems odd.

At 13 episodes it is hardly a long series. If we ignore the OP and ED which are duplicated every time we have fewer than 20 minutes of content per episode, and even then some of that is duplicated since several of the episodes begin with an exact recap of prior events from the previous episode. In the end we have about 4 hours of original content. And it's being made into two compilation movies? That isn't much to edit out! I sincerely hope they will be throwing some new content in there too otherwise I don't really see much of a point to it. Maybe it's nothing more than a means of getting the films into a theatrical release to drum up hype for the 2nd season?

Anyway, I love Made In Abyss and I hope there is more to these films than just a simple recap edit!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Production of a sequel is underway.

YES!!! THANK GOD!!!

Compilation films are.....well.....let's just say they are disappointing when you just want more story. Anime hyper
Mayo20
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I love this article. Straight to the point and giving me the info I want!
ZanathKariashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the season had a to use a lot re-used scenes and time filler tricks in order to end the series where it had to end.

They could've definitely slowed down the early part, but it wouldn't have such a snappy first 3 episodes, and we'd had a 4th episode on the service, instead they dragged out the seeker camp parts a bit, and then reused about 1/3 of other episodes to fill 11.

I've been hoping they'd go back and redo the Ozen scenes to make them a bit more like the manga, but just tighting up the pacing and removing time filler is definitely an improvement.

If i recall my old notes correctly, they used up basically a whole episode worth of time-filler tricks across the 14-ish episodes of run-time.

it could've been 12 with a 1-hour finale and nothing would've changed content wise aside for no 1-5 minute long recap footage, or awkwardly dragging out a few scenes just a touch too long here and there to stealthily kill some seconds.

it almost seems like they planned to go all the way to the flower garden, like the ED shows them doing, but changed their mind and decided to cut it off right as they were getting ready to leave which gave them an episode worth of time to kill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1