• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Casually Spooky

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sorry that internet block had to happen to you guys. It sounded horrible! I look forward to the next podcast to hear your thoughts about Higurashi Smile

I will also second Yamishibai. I do think the first season had some of the best stories, but I do need to get caught up on the last two seasons.

I agree with Shiki being alright. The ending was sets it apart from being just a horror anime. I do give it points for being creepy. Some of the deaths near the end were so painful to watch.

I enjoyed Ghost Hound. This anime near the beginning was the only anime to actually scare me at some parts. Overall I did enjoy it.

I did not enjoy Another as a whole because they don't reveal all the information, they hid a vital clue that the viewers need to know. I find the the ending just ridiculous for this reason. It is unfortunate that the original source doesn't do this. I do give it major points for being creepy and thinking of the most hilarious ways to murder people.

I would recommend Umineko not the anime, but the manga or the game. Not sure if it qualifies? But Mononoke and Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (the Mononoke episodes, are the best of bunch, imo).
King Kuma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Cool to hear Zac has realized that horror can be about atmosphere and being unsettled as opposed to being be frightened. Similar to when people who don't read horror novels read one and make complaints about them not being scary (presumably in the same way that horror movies are scary), one needs to meet different media halfway, and judge them on what they are trying to do with tools at hand.

Maybe one day he will reevaluate his hot take on the IT novel too. Oops, I gave him the attention he was fishing for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I enjoyed Ghost Hound. This anime near the beginning was the only anime to actually scare me at some parts. Overall I did enjoy it.

I second this. There's something in the sound design that just sets your teeth on edge so that you're uneasy even when nothing on screen should be making you feel that way. Also, the MC's eyes remind me of the eyespots on moth wings, which always creep me out. But I even liked the little monkey-butt astral projections, which most everyone hates with a passion, so Ghost Hound works for me from start to finish.

And sorry, Lynzee, but Shiki is great, in part because of the loopy character designs, especially the eyes. Very Happy But you can keep Another.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
I'm also a fan of Ghost Hound. Some of the repeated scenes grow creepier every time you see them. Also the opening is on my short list of best anime openings.

I agree with Lynzee on the creep factor of Vampire Princess Miyu TV, the episode with the crying mannequins is the one that stuck with me. The earlier OVA version is also excellent with better animation.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ghost Hunt. Some of the arcs in that are truly horrifying. The opening to Zombie Land Saga has a very brief callback to that.

I would also recommend The Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. It has the atmosphere and the story becomes more horrific as the mystery is unraveled.

For all the nonsense it has taken over the dub, Ghost Stories does have its moments of horror. The earlier Haunted Junction falls in the same genre.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the podcast on Higurashi.

I think Lynzee nails it when she mentions that the good stuff tends to linger with you or come back to you after you've watched/read horror. I felt that when I first read Lovecraft as a teen. I was like "eh, that was ok" after reading a story and then later I guess after it sunk in I was like "oh, I don't think I want to go to sleep right now" or "gee thinking about it now makes me uncomfortable". And yea, horror doesn't have to make you jump in your seat, it can just make you feel unsettled or disturbed. I think anime is at a disadvantage when doing jump in your seat and be startled as opposed to live-action. However, it can definitely do creepy, uncomfortable, unsettled or disturbed feelings in viewers.

I think Shiki is pretty solid, not a masterpiece imho as some might feel, but still worth a watch. The first half can be a bit of a slog to get thru for some people which I think is a fair criticism, but it picks up in the second half. I think there are parts of the second half that are pretty darn good and the dub IIRC was pretty decent a step above most of the mediocre dubs out there.

I really didn't like Another. It started with an interesting premise which I thought was squandered in execution. The sense of creepiness and tension was good at first and kept me watching for a time. However, in the later episodes the show becomes clumsy in trying to manipulate the viewers. The beach episode is not enough to save the whole show. Abrupt contrived cliffhangers, outright deception on the shows part as opposed to clever sleight of hand are a few of the reasons that it left a bad taste.

grooven wrote:
Not sure if it qualifies? But Mononoke and Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (the Mononoke episodes, are the best of bunch, imo).

Yea, I think Mononoke could be on a supernatural/horror list. The first episode definitely has a creepy and unsettling vibe to it which has stayed with me considering its been several years now since I've see it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Looking forward to the podcast on Higurashi.

I think Lynzee nails it when she mentions that the good stuff tends to linger with you or come back to you after you've watched/read horror. I felt that when I first read Lovecraft as a teen. I was like "eh, that was ok" after reading a story and then later I guess after it sunk in I was like "oh, I don't think I want to go to sleep right now" or "gee thinking about it now makes me uncomfortable". And yea, horror doesn't have to make you jump in your seat, it can just make you feel unsettled or disturbed. I think anime is at a disadvantage when doing jump in your seat and be startled as opposed to live-action. However, it can definitely do creepy, uncomfortable, unsettled or disturbed feelings in viewers.

I think Shiki is pretty solid, not a masterpiece imho as some might feel, but still worth a watch. The first half can be a bit of a slog to get thru for some people which I think is a fair criticism, but it picks up in the second half. I think there are parts of the second half that are pretty darn good and the dub IIRC was pretty decent a step above most of the mediocre dubs out there.

I really didn't like Another. It started with an interesting premise which I thought was squandered in execution. The sense of creepiness and tension was good at first and kept me watching for a time. However, in the later episodes the show becomes clumsy in trying to manipulate the viewers. The beach episode is not enough to save the whole show. Abrupt contrived cliffhangers, outright deception on the shows part as opposed to clever sleight of hand are a few of the reasons that it left a bad taste.

grooven wrote:
Not sure if it qualifies? But Mononoke and Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (the Mononoke episodes, are the best of bunch, imo).

Yea, I think Mononoke could be on a supernatural/horror list. The first episode definitely has a creepy and unsettling vibe to it which has stayed with me considering its been several years now since I've see it.

I have to agree with your assessment of Another. I was initially very intrigued with how it built a sense of dread by having the curse come through in mundane ways to the point where something as basic as a passing truck was cause for concern. If only it stuck with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1