• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator's Early Manga That Shonen Jump Rejected Is Now Online for Free

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
It would never work out on Shonen Jump because it wouldn't be the same Shingeki no Kyojin that started on Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, it would be a way less violent and "realistic" manga and more about flashy fights and friendship, it worked on BSM because is a more "mature" shounen magazine and also not a big one, so Isayama was able to do whatever he wanted without the pressure about "being popular".

And about the one shot itself, is ugly AF, neither Weekly Shonen Magazine or Weekly Shonen Sunday would accept it too kkkkk
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
If Attack On Titan was in Jump, it wouldn't be good. I doubt Hajime Isayama would be able to keep the quality up in a weekly magazine. Also, I think Dr. Stone and The Promised Neverland wouldn't be in the magazine. Jump probably realize it made a mistake and is being more risking with the Manga they pick because of Attack Of Titan success.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
It would never work out on Shonen Jump because it wouldn't be the same Shingeki no Kyojin that started on Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, it would be a way less violent and "realistic" manga and more about flashy fights and friendship, it worked on BSM because is a more "mature" shounen magazine

You do realize that Death Note was in Jump too (also Hunter X Hunter)? The problem Attack On Titan would have is the Mangaka is young and wouldn't have the freedom to do what he wants (unless someone at the top like him). If he teams up with Yusuke Murata, then it be a different story. My god, Attack On Titan with Yusuke Murata art, that would cause people brains to melt
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
haha, what a beautiful irony.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I wonder of Isayama reads Shonen Jump more than his actual magazine which is basically 2nd rate Shonen Jump. I never see him mention it, yet he did have a big model of Sunny Go in his house from some video or picture i can't remember and submitted fan art for To-Love Ru 10th anniversary which I'm surprised his publishing company allowed him to do since I imagine Shueisha and Kodansha are rivals
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
This was the precursor to AoT and it's legally viewable to read in Japanese? Nice.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The one shot looks like garage, the editor made the right choice IMO.
It's not like it is a missed opportunity, it wouldn't have been the same series, assuming it even survived more than 16 weeks, competition in Jump is really fierce and the lineup in 2008-2009 was particularly so.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I took a quick look at it. The art is very rough and I don't fault any manga magazine for passing on it. It's to Hajime Isayama's credit that he didn't give up--being an artist is hard and competitive, but he had a story he was determined to tell in his own way (and his art has greatly improved over the years!) I'd love to see a translation to see how many concepts made it to the final version!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1