• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses 7 New Manga, 6 New Light Novels

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye my sleeping time, it seems like next year is gonna be too much load to allocated you some time and dear Wallet-san too, you will lose mass.

Joking aside, I really like to see so much announcement at once. The not so long ago times when we only had some fantrad to read LN seems so far away.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
So that last Wolf Children book was just the manga version of the movie? I don't think I remember a novel.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I have to give it to the ANN staff for staying as up-to-date with these announcements as possible.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Definitely interested in that yuri vampire manga.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
I think that some of these titles get licensed and released in English to create awareness of it before an anime adaption of it will stream on global platforms. Quite a few Kadokawa novels...I'd say some of these probably have an anime in their future. But some other titles will probably get adapted first. Like the vending machine one, the maxed out my level, the strong mother one (can't be bothered to remember the full names). Some Yen Press mangas are a bit less likely, or take some more time to get animes I think. For example delicious in dungeon, mermaid boys, nyankees
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
I’m looking forward to that yuri anthology. Very Happy
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of interesting sounding stuff coming from this license collection from Yen Press.

I'm particularly interested in Last Round Arthurs. Add in the fact that it's from the guy behind Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor and I'm definitely going to check it out. Not all the light novel licenses pan out from them, but I'm always excited to check out new things!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote
I read volume 1 of Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki a while back and kinda liked it, even if the premise boils down to “I find it offensive that the one person who’s better than me at my second-favorite game doesn’t even bother with my favorite game (however much it stands to reason that a player would reach the #1 spot by focusing their efforts), and so I demand he play it and get good at it.”

Jury's out on whether any of the advice she gives on her favorite game is actually any good. Very Happy
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
I was legit not expecting Hime to get licensed. :O
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
Beats of Abigail was rather cute (still need to read the last volume though), so I may pick up Kaiju Girl Caramelizer. The premise is a bit too much on the wacky/comedy side for me, but her art has such a nice retro feeling to it.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
Did anybody see the actual panel? The Q&A part after the announcements really demonstrated for everyone to see the disgusting arrogance of the YP team and the director Kurt Hassler, and their dismissive attitude towards their customers.

A woman asked a question as to how she could send feedback to the translators regarding the translation of Bungou Stray Dogs, where the YP translation missed many literary author and poetic references that the fan community were aware of, and that the official anime subtitles had managed to properly preserve. The woman and her associates were quite disappointed by this, as they were fans of the works referenced and of Bungo Stray Dogs, and hoped to offer feedback on potential corrections.

The response of the YP team and Kurt Hassler was, instead of acknowledging the premise of the question, to instead start a long and condescending mansplain about how their translations are so much better than fans' because they take the time to make sure it's worded well in English, and that just because a pirated fan translation came first doesn't make it better. . When pointed out that the anime subtitles had gotten the references right, they retorted that anime subtitles are rushed to meet simulcast deadlines and their translations are much better because they have the time to get them right. Kurt Hassler cut in to mansplain that nobody is ever happy with what they put out, and that Yen Press are responsible to the author unlike people who read "pirate" translations, and that pirates don't own the material in question.

The woman was, of course, extremely insulted because she had never said anything about pirate translations, but rather she had been talking about official translations (available for many years) of the referenced poems in question, which she had read completely legally, and had been disappointed to find that the correct author intent had not been preserved. And it was in fact the arrogant Kurt Hassler and the YP team who refused to listen to the question and started accusing her of being a pirate to dismiss her concerns. She announced that, if this was their attitude towards customers with legitimate grievances, she would in fact be pirating from now on and she hoped that they would go out of business. Kurt Hassler's only response was repeatedly talking over her loudly with "Enjoy your day!~" in as mocking and condescending a voice as he could.

Can people really support a company that starts dodging the question and making accusations of criminality and then mocking a paying customer as a way to try and drown out legitimate concerns about translation quality? Personally, it's extremely disappointing to see horrendous behavior like his towards a fan offering valid criticism, and I cannot in good conscience continue to support a company which assumes its customers are criminals and is led by a man who actively mocks them in response to legitimate feedback.

You can view a recording of the panel here as evidence.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLMYjXRkKm?t=34m22s

I am explicitly not calling for a raid or a harassment campaign, but I do urge others who feel as disgusted as me to make sure that other customers also know just what YP really thinks of them and evaluate whether they really think this company is worthy of their support.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
I don't know I'd call that "mansplaining", as that would require her to be an expert on the subject and him explicitly being not, while explaining condescending nonsense to her. I don't think this is the situation here.

I think she had a point (maybe? I'm not a native speaker and literally didn't understand a word of her initial talk), and it's unfortunate that he jumped right on the "but piracy isn't better just because you read it first" wagon when she was talking about a) legitimate sources) and b) official literature that exists in real life.
That was an unfair attack on her and I understand she took offense to that.
However, she kept yelling stuff to the podium, and getting an annoyed/sarcastic response to that isn't unexpected.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
I don't know I'd call that "mansplaining", as that would require her to be an expert on the subject and him explicitly being not, while explaining condescending nonsense to her. I don't think this is the situation here.

I'd consider her to be more of an expert on the poems and author that were supposed to be referenced than they were, and their responses (e.g. their translations being better than the anime ones, because anime subs are rushed week-to-week - which completely ignores the premise of why the anime subs were mentioned at all; long speeches about how their translators make sure stuff sounds good in English while ignoring the issue of missed literary references entirely) to be condescending nonsense in that context.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Was hoping that the yuri anthology was going to be Éclair blanche, but something else is fine too... just as long as they release the other Éclair books eventually, please!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Cloudywind wrote:
Did anybody see the actual panel? The Q&A part after the announcements really demonstrated for everyone to see the disgusting arrogance of the YP team and the director Kurt Hassler, and their dismissive attitude towards their customers.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLMYjXRkKm?t=34m22s

Holy ****! I can't side with the woman 100% because I'm completely unfamiliar with Bungo Stray Dogs as a series and neither can I speak to the accuracy or inaccuracy of the manga translations, but based solely on the attitude and juvenile "Have a nice day~!" from the HEADS OF THE COMPANY? Jesus, this is disheartening. I love Yen Press' catalog and continue to be a loyal customer. The woman was right to be upset, perhaps she could've taken a moment before jumping to the, "I'm going to pirate it now" retort, which only served to make the crowd turn against her and the panelists fire back with snide immaturity.

When someone has a question regarding the accuracy of a translation, I get that it's tiring and frustrating for those responsible since a significant percent of anime/manga fans nitpick it because they prefer the pirated fan translations and will even ***** loudly and with pride that those are superior. THAT SAID, this was not the professional way to answer a perceived question like that, especially in a public forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2