• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Holiday Gift Guide 2018

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote
This Lillie figure is so nice, i'd love to have it one!!! Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This might be the most famous animated entry in the entire series – it's Mamoru Oshii's contemplative and unique take on Urusei Yatsura, and this disc comes with a whole bunch of bonus content to help keep it all in perspective.

It's also famous for how much Rumiko Takahashi and the Japanese fans hated it and how much U.S. fans love it. XD
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Sentai have yet to sell out of their Legend of Galactic Heroes stock is not completely surprising, to put things mildly. Do you reckon they will ever bite the bullet and discount it, or would that risk offending the small handful of existing buyers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss is not all about tears and suffering like the snarky recommendation suggests. And the actual LE box is not that big; it is similar in size to NIS America's Eccentric Family LE for season 1. By the way the FMA: Brotherhood boxes from Aniplex USA do not cost an arm and a leg; they are in line with what Funimation's initial BD releases cost.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The fact that Sentai have yet to sell out of their Legend of Galactic Heroes stock is not completely surprising, to put things mildly. Do you reckon they will ever bite the bullet and discount it, or would that risk offending the small handful of existing buyers?

That whole thing remains a cluster**** of the highest order.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

It's likely that they're contractually obligated to sell it at full price and any unsold copies have to be destroyed when the license expires.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Who the health is gonna pay $800 for that Legend of the Galactic Heroes Premium Box Set?
LazyGoNutz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Who the health is gonna pay $800 for that Legend of the Galactic Heroes Premium Box Set?

Admittedly, if I had they money to blow on it, I would. Of course, I'm in Canada so I would need more to go through a middle man to get it delivered up here (funny that seems to annoy me more than the price).
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom Hearts has the wrong picture...unless the Yakuza guy has also joined Sora and the gang. Smile
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I remember doing the math of how many episodes and movies you're getting at that price, and it seemed in line with what anime is going for nowadays ($60 for a 1-cour show is a pretty standard MSRP nowadays, and at 162 episodes LOGH is the equivalent of 13 cours, plus three movies). It's just that having to buy it all at once is gonna hurt.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

It's a fairly normal price for the amount of content, even without considering the quality of the show and it's a fantastic box and presentation. When you have three to four times the content of the twentieth anniversary Utena box set, the MSRP is pretty understandable. A lot cheaper than I paid for the Japanese releases. It's also a lot less than what the rights holder proposed for a US release ten years ago.

For people who don't buy anything on home video, sure, I understand the complaints, but it's worth it a lot more than a lot of shows. Certainly worth it more than most of Aniplex's releases like tiny parts of SAO or the second season of Durarara for more per episode. Even the new cheaper SAO box set is more per episode than LOGH, even with TRSI discounting the SAO box now.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Um, Nanachi has no gender according to the mangaka.
dgstoronto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
LazyGoNutz wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Admittedly, if I had they money to blow on it, I would. Of course, I'm in Canada so I would need more to go through a middle man to get it delivered up here (funny that seems to annoy me more than the price).

I tried to pre-order the LoGH Premium Box set at Anime Boston, but was told they don't ship to Canada, which really pissed me off. I later arranged to have my order delivered to a friend who has a US mailbox in Niagara Falls (the US side) and he later bought it to me in Toronto. My brother also ordered a set for himself and he did the same. I wonder if anyone else in Toronto besides us has a copy of the premium box set.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I must also insist that everyone should procure a copy of Go for it, Nakamura! if they need a cheap, but highly enjoyable manga for someone!

I still need to get the second Devilman volume myself, but I am SO looking forward to how nuts it's going to be!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
At this point I don't think I'd ever buy localized LoGH, at any price point. The $800 Insult is too great to be forgiven or forgotten.

And I'm about as big of an LoGH fan as you're ever likely to meet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2