• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato Anime Also Removed From Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.. this was like this since November. Confused I had hoped the subtitles version would come back but seems it is gone forever. Embarassed
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks,but they never updated anyways I guess cause the newer episodes are not out on Bluray yet in Japan? I think I'll hold off on the second season until it gets released on Bluray in English.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
...b-but I don't wanna pay more money.
Are these gonna go up on Hulu???
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyrol previously announced a partial list of titles that were leaving its service after November 9, but a more complete list is below. Funimation announced that it was adding subtitled versions for all of the titles below except for the above mentioned Star Blazers anime.
So is the Japanese version just not going to be available for streaming anywhere anymore and you'll have to buy the BluRay to watch it? Is there some reason for this decision?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Well that sucks,but they never updated anyways I guess cause the newer episodes are not out on Bluray yet in Japan? I think I'll hold off on the second season until it gets released on Bluray in English.

That isn't true. The Blu-rays were all available for sale immediately when the corresponding episodes were released theatrically in Japan, in movies that strung four or five episodes together. I think they were even sold at the premieres.

The batch from May was added pretty soon after it debuted. The next new batch of episodes premiered all in November, right before the end of the deal was announced. I think that's the problem.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:

didn't the new updated Hulu-Funi deal imply all funi content will be added to Hulu at some point.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Currently the show page comments are still accessible, indicating the show was removed about two weeks after the mass removal of Funi content on November 9.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/star-blazers-space-battleship-yamato/discussions

Edit 12/12: the following is misinformation caused by herd misunderstanding Razz
spoiler[^ Yeah, apparently everything Funi has will go on Hulu, except anything not allowed due to license terms. Which can create confusing and frustrating situations... with the Crunchyroll deal, CR was able to stream Spice and Wolf season 2, but not season 1, while Funi has both seasons on Hulu. And Funimation's simulcast of Tokyo Ghoul:re this year was/is subbed+dubbed on their own service and Hulu, while they weren't able to put it on CR like every other simulcast. That along with the older seasons never being on CR would seem to indicate that Funi's master North America license for Tokyo Ghoul allows it to be on Hulu but not CR. (CR got it for the UK via a different licensor.) As for what Funi can't put on Hulu, we'll have to wait and see, but it looks like it should be less than what they couldn't put on CR.]

Last edited by nDroae on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdsichero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Dangit! I wasn't done watching 2199 yet! Mad

*sigh* I guess I'll have to pick up the blu-rays…

*censored* you Sony!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey, maybe it’ll get a bigger audience on Hulu. It is that damn good that more people should see it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Dang. I don't have Hulu or Funimation subscriptions, and this one was on my to-watch list.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:

didn't the new updated Hulu-Funi deal imply all funi content will be added to Hulu at some point.

The info that was released stated that Hulu will have “first look rights” at all shows Funimation acquires starting in 2019. They didn’t state that they would be streaming all Funimation shows.

Considering that they scaled back in the number of anime series they stream a few times, I can’t see them adding Funimation’s entire catalogue. It will probably be sometime before we know how much of their back catalogue Hulu will offer.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/hulu-funimation-anime-japanese-series-1203079274/
Funimation
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:

Hulu will only have select titles from our catalog.
Toonces

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually at least as of last night the subs for 2199 are on FunimationNow. The Funi page says "Star Blazers Sub & Dub", so I'm guessing the 2202 subs will follow soon.

Sakura Quest is also gone. The shows that Funi got the majority rights for are also leaving CR. I'm guessing once the season ends, SSSS.Gridman will also leave (and vice versa for most of the other seasonal shows on Funi).
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, a vast majority of those titles consist of mainly "you've probably seen this multiple times elsewhere" sorts of shows. I'm glad Hulu is picking some up at least, but I really have to wonder how viable splitting like this is going to be in the longterm. HiDive posting its viewership/revenue numbers anywhere? If it's not on Netflix/Hulu/Crunchy, then it's not likely to see me pay anything extra to watch it.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It'd be impressive to have both watched and rewatched the majority of Funimation's hundreds of catalog shows. I've only ever rewatched a handful of anime, and probably over 80% I never want to rewatch. But most of them certainly do have low appeal/viewership now, as is inevitably also the case for the back catalogs of Sentai and Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2