• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Granblue Goodness

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
For GBF Versus, I'll be happy as long as the obvious fighting game characters make it in (Feather, Randall, Ayer, Aliza). Those all seem pretty likely, unless Cygames decides to suddenly start being bad at brand management.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Heidi. Glad to hear the surgery went without a hitch.

Ys IX is definitely looking grim, but Ys has always been steeped in some dark fantasy content, so it's not surprising the newest entry is going for that intimidating look. I wonder which part of Not Earth But Sort of Earth IX will be taking place.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The article says that IX will take place in "Baldeuk, northeast of Esteria", and since Esteria (&, with it, Ys itself) is located in what would be Brittany, France in the real world, then Baldeuk should be somewhere around Germany or Belgium. Considering the name of the land, I'd say that it's more likely meant to be the Ys equivalent to Belgium, especially since Ys III/Oath in Felghana took place in Not-Really-Germany already.

Personally, this is just a good reminder to get back to Ys VIII, which I was playing until not long ago (it's excellent, but is a really long game), and I still have Memories of Celceta & Ys V to get to before I'll have played every story made up to this point.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The article says that IX will take place in "Baldeuk, northeast of Esteria", and since Esteria (&, with it, Ys itself) is located in what would be Brittany, France in the real world, then Baldeuk should be somewhere around Germany or Belgium. Considering the name of the land, I'd say that it's more likely meant to be the Ys equivalent to Belgium, especially since Ys III/Oath in Felghana took place in Not-Really-Germany already.

Sounds plausible.

Quote:
Personally, this is just a good reminder to get back to Ys VIII, which I was playing until not long ago (it's excellent, but is a really long game), and I still have Memories of Celceta & Ys V to get to before I'll have played every story made up to this point.

Ys V should get its remake next. That way it can finally have a definitive version as well as be released here officially.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can't have an anonymous internet person leak your new characters if you do it yourself!

Britishblackmanpointingathead.gif
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ys IX looks pretty cool so far. I haven't had the chance to play VIII yet, but I enjoyed Memories of Celceta. I just hope that whatever company releases it here ports it to the switch like NISA did with VIII.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just remember, Bamco: while it might be OK in Japan for Araki to use band names for stands, you'll get in trouble if you have Okuyasu do the Carlton Dance.
I never knew I wanted this until now.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
Can't have an anonymous internet person leak your new characters if you do it yourself!

Britishblackmanpointingathead.gif
It's called roll safe, you uneducated ignoramus!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:

Not sure why you felt the need to feel insulted at me not not knowing the name of the meme (which most people don't) but okay Razz
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
-GBF: Yeah, Versus convinced me to check out the actual game and it's definitely a Gacha game. I've not gotten far in it, but I've heard it's grindtastic. It's definitely a thing I've noticed with CyGames titles in that they have some of the most fascinating and unique art direction, world building, and characters, but actual game design can be iffy. I mean, geez, Rage of Bahamut was a mess and its Western launch tanked so bad they had to shut the thing down.

Still, I'm very intrigued by Relink and Versus as ways to expand the franchise. Relink looks neat, but I find its art direction a bit lacking, but I have no doubt the gameplay will be fine due to Platinum Games' track record.

As for Versus, this is a must-get for me due to it being an ASW title that's just. So. PRETTY. In terms of roster I expect it'll have at least Cerberus, Azazel, and Jeanne, who are some of CyGames' clear favorites.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:07 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Zimmer wrote:

Not sure why you felt the need to feel insulted at me not not knowing the name of the meme (which most people don't) but okay Razz
Because I'm obviously just poking fun by overreacting.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:

Because I'm obviously just poking fun by overreacting.[/quote]

The salt looked legit.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
I agree w/ GBF. I tried the mobile game and the setting, chracters, art style etc are all great, but it would require way too much time for me to actually play it.

I'm looking forward to playing ReLink which looked great even before I touched the mobile game. It's great to know that it's already coming west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1