• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Domestic Girlfriend Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Sentai is doing great this season. If I am counting right they have 9 titles already. None of them seem particularly outstanding, but hopefully a couple of them become minor hits.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Thought that Amazon was going to get this one. Glad to see that I'm wrong
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I thought Funi would try and get this. It's been a while since they've a title like this one.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
HIDIVE partnering up with VRV, probably gave Sentai enough money to obtain more show this season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
HIDIVE partnering up with VRV, probably gave Sentai enough money to obtain more show this season.

Probably, but HIDIVE and Sentai are supposed to be separate companies.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:38 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

Yes, but HIDIVE pays Sentai for its shows. So extra money to HIDIVE means more money can be sent to Sentai to acquire new shows. Not to mention that CR has started licensing some shows from them as well, so that could be used for further acquisitions too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

I never knew that, I wonder why they don't also get titles from over companies as well.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

I never knew that, I wonder why they don't also get titles from over companies as well.

Seperate companies only legally speaking but literally run by the same people which is why you see every Sentai title on HIDIVE without question. They are all part of the neo-ADV post bankruptcy folks right on the same location in Texas.

Quote:
The anime will premiere in Japan on January 11 on MBS and TBS at 1:55 a.m. (effectively January 12), and will then air on January 12 at 1:00 a.m. (effectively January 13) on BS-TBS. The anime will also exclusively stream on Amazon Prime Video in Japan.

I wonder if this means Amazon Japan streaming exclusives no longer mean Amazon US exclusive licenses or if Sentai will sub-license to Amazon US like they've done with other shows like Made in the Abyss, etc.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

Seperate companies only legally speaking but literally run by the same people which is why you see every Sentai title on HIDIVE without question. They are all part of the neo-ADV post bankruptcy folks right on the same location in Texas.

ADV never filed for bankruptcy. If they had, all of their licenses would have have been revoked. They actually still exist to some extent and even still have licenses, including Elfen Lied and Kino’s Journey. ADV basically sold off the bulk of its assets. Sentai and HIDIVE are both run by John Ledford, but have many different employees otherwise.

And HIDIVE will be streaming the Promised Neverland, which is an Aniplex show. They also stream shows from Maiden Japan, which is run by Matt Greenfield. Though Greenfield and Ledford worked together at ADV, Ledford is not involved with running Maiden Japan. They also run some live action shows that Sentai hasn’t officially licensed. It would be nice to see them add some shows from Right Stuf, which did stream on Anime Network before, or DiscoTek.

For the record, it’s also not “every Sentai title without question”. Sword Oratoria is still notably absent and limited to Amazon Prime. The same is true for Scum’s Wish, while Ajin and Knights of Sedonia are exclusive to Netflix.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

They are getting The Promised Neverland from Aniplex of America this season.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Filmworks continues to yet again scrap at the bottom of the barrel for anime licenses into the new year. A vast majority of their recent anime pickups in recent years have been brimming with mediocrity unfortunately this trend continues with their latest pick up Domestic Girflriend. I'm sure this title will have its fair share of fans and will bring in some viewers which is completely fine I just wish Sentai would actually pick up a quality show for once. I haven't bought one of their products in years due to their less then stellar anime selection and lackluster dubbing output of late since John Swasey and Shannon Reed have started directing a vast majority of their english dubs. Sentai is capable of much better when it comes to both topics hopefully they pick up at least one appealing anime title maybe an overlooked action series or a few feature films to fill up the void of losing any future licensing to Makoto Shinkai's upcoming films to the ever growing GKIDS.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
configspace wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

ADV never filed for bankruptcy. If they had, all of their licenses would have have been revoked. They actually still exist to some extent and even still have licenses, including Elfen Lied and Kino’s Journey. ADV basically sold off the bulk of its assets. Sentai and HIDIVE are both run by John Ledford, but have many different employees otherwise.

Ok I stand corrected. Debt restructuring then.

Quote:
And HIDIVE will be streaming the Promised Neverland, which is an Aniplex show. They also stream shows from Maiden Japan, which is run by Matt Greenfield. Though Greenfield and Ledford worked together at ADV, Ledford is not involved with running Maiden Japan. They also run some live action shows that Sentai hasn’t officially licensed. It would be nice to see them add some shows from Right Stuf, which did stream on Anime Network before, or DiscoTek.

All the ones sub-licensed to Amazon will eventually be coming to HIDIVE after Amazon's timed exclusivity expires. Netflix is different because the streaming licenses are separate from the home video in these cases I never expect HIDIVE to get those. As for the other non-anime, live action non-Sentai labels I didn't include. Section 23, Maiden, et. al including Greenfield and co, I include in my "folks in the same location in Texas" from the ADV days. The Ledford related companies are so linked together that whenever Rightstuf has a Sentai sale, they include all those other publishers and labels. You can even see it in the url/search string for the promotion.

Quote:
For the record, it’s also not “every Sentai title without question”. Sword Oratoria is still notably absent and limited to Amazon Prime. The same is true for Scum’s Wish, while Ajin and Knights of Sedonia are exclusive to Netflix.

I bet once Amazon's exclusivity expires, they'll come over as we continuously see for many titles. Netflix is again like I mentioned an exclusion since Sentai only has the home video license, likewise for the Funimation releases of Netflix streaming licenses.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm sure it's not coincidental, but the licenses still under the ADV banner appear to be the ones where ADV was on the original production committee back in the day.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
@I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE

I am sure that Sentai would love to license big hit, money makers like My Hero Academia, but they are not as wealthy as Funimaton and Crunchyroll.

But even with their recent struggles Sentai has managed to license quality shows. In 2016 they licensed Flying Witch and Flip Flappers; in 2017 Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous and Girls' Last Tour; in 2018 Tada Never Falls in Love, Revue Starlight, Scum's Wish and Bloom Into You.
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I am sure that Sentai would love to license big hit, money makers like My Hero Academia, but they are not as wealthy as Funimaton and Crunchyroll.

But even with their recent struggles Sentai has managed to license quality shows.

That and the bidding market for shows has become toxic with demanding committees and close knit contractors.

Them still going is an accomplishment in its own right. The Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 of now is vastly different from the one back in the early 2010s, barging through the kitchen and tripping over their dvd stack disc cases and tackling overworked Steven Foster. Them and Discotek have been experimental yet wise with investing (Though I'm still nervous about the future of HIDIVE and Sentai Kids).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2