• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Fruits Basket Anime Premieres in April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope it will be good, because the last time I watched a remade anime was Houshin Engi, and it was so awful that I dropped it after 4 episodes.
I haven't watched the old Fruits Basket, but I'll give this one a try (as for the remake of Majutsushi Orphen).
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
If it's covering the entire manga, I'm curious if that means it'll be about 4 cours or so or if it'll tell a condensed version of the story in 26 episodes. Guess we'll wait and see...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
If it's covering the entire manga, I'm curious if that means it'll be about 4 cours or so or if it'll tell a condensed version of the story in 26 episodes.

Have more than two cours been commissioned for a single anime in recent years, save for ongoing shonen mainstays? To invest in an older property to that extent would be a rather novel risk to take.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
If it's covering the entire manga, I'm curious if that means it'll be about 4 cours or so or if it'll tell a condensed version of the story in 26 episodes.

Have more than two cours been commissioned for a single anime in recent years, save for ongoing shonen mainstays? To invest in an older property to that extent would be a rather novel risk to take.

Is jojo considered shonen?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
So, the question of whether or not Laura will return as Tohru in the eventual Eng. dub might be answered sometime in March. Given the series will get a full adaptation of the manga (50+ epi. easily), committing to recording each week via something like SourceConnect will be a challenge.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

It was published in Shonen Jump for quite a long time, so I'd say yes.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Jojo falls into Shonen from parts 1-6, Seinen Part 7-present. I guess you can't totally underestimate nostalgia factor. Fruba is a pretty popular manga and Sailor Moon Crystal was 39 episodes. It may be remotely possible 39-52 range.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Have more than two cours been commissioned for a single anime in recent years, save for ongoing shonen mainstays?

Other than stuff like Precure and Aikatsu, the most recent non-shonen show that I remember being announced as more than two coeurs from day one was Tribe Cool Crew.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Well, there's the currently airing Run with the Wind... In 2017 we had Re:Creators and Sakura Quest. None of them shonen mainstays.

So, not common... but not unheard of either.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Well, there's the currently airing Run with the Wind... In 2017 we had Re:Creators and Sakura Quest. None of them shonen mainstays.

Weren't those all commissioned with two coeurs?
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Weren't those all commissioned with two coeurs?

Yeah, they definitely were. Re:Creators, to memory, was only 22 episodes, so I wouldn't even say a full 2 cour.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I suspect many aren't going to like this adaptation as much as the first series. The first series focused more on the comedy, while the manga is rather soap-opera-y. Or maybe that's just my personal taste, since I've also heard the mangaka hated the first series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this adaptation I can hardly wait. I adored the drama-heavy yet funny balance the manga struck, so I'm eager to see the full story told in an anime.
Toonces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
If it's covering the entire manga, I'm curious if that means it'll be about 4 cours or so or if it'll tell a condensed version of the story in 26 episodes. Guess we'll wait and see...

They could maybe squeak by on 3 cours, but anything less than that and they might as well not bother. Given the announcement and series, I'm thinking 4 cours.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Karakuri Circus is 3 cours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2