• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony to Halt PS Vita Production in Japan 'Soon'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
R.I.P.... Crying or Very sad
Kurohei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't speak for the rest of the world. But I had hundreds of fun hours on my Vita. You will be missed.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever so much as seen a Vita in the flesh.
Frosty The DopeMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Whoa whoa, hold on, there was another version of PSP that came out after 2003-05ish? Lol, what the hell, I never knew there was another version of PSP. Am I the only one to never hear about this ?
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:21 am Reply with quote
Frosty The DopeMan wrote:
Whoa whoa, hold on, there was another version of PSP that came out after 2003-05ish? Lol, what the hell, I never knew there was another version of PSP. Am I the only one to never hear about this ?

It wasn’t a massive console by any means, so I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of it. But anyone loosely invested in the gaming industry knows what the Vita is. It has some pretty good titles. It was just dominated by the DS however.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
Frosty The DopeMan wrote:

It came out in 2011 in Japan. Much better screen and two analog sticks instead of just one. Its great hardware but Sony messed up with very overpriced memory cards. The mobile gaming boom of that time and 3Ds being cheaper didn't help either. Its got a ton of great niche games but only a few AAA games so it never took off with the masses. I love playing PS1 and emulation on it even more than actual Vita games. Laughing

Its such a shame because the actual device is great, but games are really what sell a console.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
At least PSP sold very well with it during the early stage of the 2000s thorugh early 2010s, altough it managed to suffer a poor sale with it. Also, PS Vita didn't sold out very well, and we got a lots of visual novels and JPRG games being released there in post-2013 Vita's stagnation. Also, there is number of western indie games being made, Undertale is being example of this.

Goodbye Vita, thank you for releasing our great number of Japanese games from 2011 to 2019 and also i feel sorry for Sony for not managed to compete with Nintendo 3DS and its previous successor Nintendo DS when Nintendo was really strong at making handhelds at that time.

I am also hoping that Xbox can compete with Nintendo for handheld rivals someday too.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Also, there is number of western indie games being made, Undertale is being example of this.
You mean ports. There was so very little games made for the vita outside of Japan. They were ported to it (Like undertale) but they definitely were not made with the vita in mind.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
Without condoning the obvious, I've had my Vita hacked since it was first possible to a few years back (OFW aka Official Firmware 3.60 was the golden hackable firmware, though later 3.65+ became hackable) and I have a mix of pirated games as well as actual backups of games I actually own. I love my Vita, and I'm sad to see it unfortunately going the way of the dodo... I have a Nintendo Switch as well as a 3DS XL, so those will continue to serve me well as will my Vita for years to come still...

I'm rambling at this point, but the last thing I want to say is that I got my Vita back in early August of 2012 because I'm a huge fan of the Hatsune Miku Project Diva series, and when I learned of Project Diva F coming out for it I was ecstatic and I had to have a Vita... Gravity Rush is also an excellent game on the Vita (also available in a remastered form on PS4).

Anyway, RIP PS Vita production, and I hope Sony somehow decides to make SOME SORT of new portable system in the future.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Also, there is number of western indie games being made, Undertale is being example of this.
You mean ports. There was so very little games made for the vita outside of Japan. They were ported to it (Like undertale) but they definitely were not made with the vita in mind.

So there we're few Indie games for Vita, i see. Thanks.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
Absolutely loved my Vita, while I understand its library wasn't exactly appealing to a wide enough audience I did love a lot of the games I got, from Persona 4G, Gravity Rush, Danganronpa 1 and 2, Freedom Wars, Touch my Katamari, Senran Kagura, Project Diva, IA/VT Colorful, etc.

Plus many solid ports that were great for playing outside of home for quick playing: Rayman Origins/Legends, a whole bunch of fighting games, and a good selection of indie games. I don't really use my Switch as a portable due to its larger size so the end of the 3DS/Vita era saddens me.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
I guess it is time to start donating to the Vita3K emulator project. You can find them on Patreon.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Even knowing full well how unpopular it was in west, I also loved the Vita. I initially bought it for Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa, but then, due to how convenient handholds are, ended up being that weirdo who picked the Vita versions over consoles for some of the ports.

Assassin's Creed Liberation also holds the honor of being the only Assassin's Creed game I've ever beat, thanks to how it came with the Vita version I bought. (I tried the first Assassin's Creed once, but didn't really like it.) I know it was later ported to other devices, but for awhile I was amused since most people didn't even seem to realize that AC game existed.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
the vita is essentially a ps1 handheld for me :p , yea i still have persona 4 golden/tales of hearts r/steins gate 0 for it, but i had a lot more fun with legend of dragoon/xenogears/chrono cross..etc with it and still will be the only handheld that I can play final fantasy 8 with >.>
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see it go. My favorite game, Persona 4 Golden, is on the system, and that alone makes me feel like it was worthwhile. I was actually surprised at how well a handheld works for JRPGs. But, I suppose I knew its days were numbered when Gravity Rush 2 wasn't made for the Vita, event though the first game was made with the idea of showing off what the Vita could do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2