• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is the Breakout Spectacle of the Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed the series thus far Yuki Kajira is always a pleasuer to hear and Ufotable visuals are never a disapointment.... Also that boot from little sister has had laughing pretty hard.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched the 1st episode and I absolutely loved it
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I watched the 1st episode and I absolutely loved it

I concur
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
While looking at the pics, I suddenly realized that all of the kids had the exact same colored eyes. A strange coincidence, IMO.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
I've really enjoyed the series thus far Yuki Kajira is always a pleasuer to hear and Ufotable visuals are never a disapointment.... Also that boot from little sister has had laughing pretty hard.

In full agreement, I'm loving this show so far. And it's also gorgeous and I can't wait to hear more of their music for this.

I loved that kick too.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
After 2 eps, I'm still on the fence for this one. I really want to like it, but it's yet to really hook me. I thought that the happy sweet family was so obviously hoisting death flags all over the place that it wasn't even morbidly funny when they all died, it was just a box the show needed to tick to move on. And the character design for the main kid just rubs me the wrong way for some reason; I don't know what it is exactly, but I hate looking at him.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of good groundwork being laid, and I really enjoyed the action scenes in both episodes that managed to scratch that shonen itch while being off-kilter and clever enough to stand out from similar shows.

I, too, hope that the sister gets to participate in the action in coming eps and isn't just relegated to being a plot device or background character. I also think that the other characters teased in the OP look like they could be weird and lots of fun, so I'm still holding out lots of cautious hope for this one, while not yet being totally sold on following it all season.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Honestly my first thought while watching this was, "HOLY S**T ufotable is actually doing something other then Fate?!"

Then my second thought was, "Damn. . . . why doesn't ufotable animate more stuff because this seriously goddamn beautiful!?"

Also, I especially love the music! Yuki Kajiura's work is always a real pleasure to listen to! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the coming music, especially if it sounds anything like Tsubasa. And that opening theme sung by LiSA is gorgeous! Furthermore, I ABSOLUTELY love how they animated the water sword techniques! So uber pretty~! I've never seen a shounen series look so gory and yet so pretty at the same time. What an amusing combination. Anime hyper

I already like the manga and now I can tell I'm going <3 the anime. I'm already itching for episode 3! I can't wait! Very Happy
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:08 am Reply with quote
Well Kimetsu might be most popular anime this season.
AoT lost some of his popularity after years.
OPM new season have sakuga level animation.
Sarazanmai first episode have mixed reaction, people either like or hate it.
Fruit Basket and C&T had good start but most popular shows at west are usually action shows.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, in the first episode, I hardly noticed the plot and kept on marveling at the backgrounds.

"Oooh look at the amazingly detailed trees, and the way the snow is falling! Also, he seems to want to save his sister from the demon hunter or... something, but... the snow is more impressive!"
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Great start for me, can't wait for more.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
After 2 eps, I'm still on the fence for this one. I really want to like it, but it's yet to really hook me. I thought that the happy sweet family was so obviously hoisting death flags all over the place that it wasn't even morbidly funny when they all died, it was just a box the show needed to tick to move on. And the character design for the main kid just rubs me the wrong way for some reason; I don't know what it is exactly, but I hate looking at him.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of good groundwork being laid, and I really enjoyed the action scenes in both episodes that managed to scratch that shonen itch while being off-kilter and clever enough to stand out from similar shows.

I, too, hope that the sister gets to participate in the action in coming eps and isn't just relegated to being a plot device or background character. I also think that the other characters teased in the OP look like they could be weird and lots of fun, so I'm still holding out lots of cautious hope for this one, while not yet being totally sold on following it all season.

If memory of the manga serves, it's a bit questionable whether it will fit in the allotted number of eps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1