• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: DIVE!! GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnableNoClip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and the manga, which was originally released in Japan in 2007, is only now coming to English-speaking audiences.

Isn't this the 2017 manga adaptation? If I recall correctly, this manga adaptation started the same month as the anime, and the art of the 2007 manga was done by Masahiro Ikeno and not Ruzuru Akashiba. Not trying to be pedantic, just looking for clarification!

In any case, having recently watched the anime adaptation of DIVE!!, I do really think it's unfair to compare it to Free!, like you said, as they are inherently differently stories. I don't think that this anime adaptation would've been made without Free!'s success, though, and we wouldn't have that recent manga adaptation without the anime. So, hey, it is what it is. I do agree that it tends to focus more on the feelings of everyone outside of just the realm of diving, and ties their emotions back to the sport itself as an experience that helps give them clarity on what they truly want.

I'm interested in checking out this adaptation now, even if the pacing problems that played out in the anime appear to also be here. If they explore Tomo's life outside of diving spoiler[and the deterioration of his relationship with his girlfriend that results in her cheating on him with his younger brother] in more detail than the anime, that'd be a big plus in its favor.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
In spite of being a big Free fan myself, I personally felt Dive was a better series than Free season three. The character drama was compelling to me and I liked the focus on the characters juggling their personal lives with diving and the character drama felt more focused than Free season three which was all over the place.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
EnableNoClip wrote:

Isn't this the 2017 manga adaptation? If I recall correctly, this manga adaptation started the same month as the anime, and the art of the 2007 manga was done by Masahiro Ikeno and not Ruzuru Akashiba. Not trying to be pedantic, just looking for clarification!

Yes, it is! Sorry, that was a typo that unhappily coincided with the date of the earlier manga version. Embarassed

Quote:
If they explore Tomo's life outside of diving spoiler[and the deterioration of his relationship with his girlfriend that results in her cheating on him with his younger brother] in more detail than the anime, that'd be a big plus in its favor.

It does do an okay job with this, primarily on the emotional front, but I wouldn't go in with any huge expectations about that specific incident, at least not as of volume 2.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
The review says that Dive!! is a light novel series. This is not the case, the novels were not published under any light novel imprint. They are normal "youth novels".
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
@EnableNoClip The reason for this comparison is that although the original series was not positioned as work with cute boys for girls, the anime adaptation for various reasons was clearly influenced by the Free and the modern trend to increase the attractiveness of the shonen series for the female audience.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with that, BSD and various sports shonen do quite well with this, but the not-too-original approach quickly sank this adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1