• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zombie Land Saga's Lily Becomes Example in U.K Parliament Talks on Twitter Abuse

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Comedy of the Year keeps on delivering the laughs long after its run-time.

Fitting, given the whole topic at the center of this is now (or has been for a while) in entirely surreal train-wreck territory more bizarre than anything anime ever came up with.

It's that 'we've passed the limit, but let's keep going' meme in action, but in real life.

The bells are tolling for the peace of secularist human civilization.

Last edited by jdnation on Thu May 02, 2019 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
What the Hell is going on?
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The more I see stuff like this, the more I realize these people aren't actually against death threats, violence, harassment, and doxing so much as they are against those being used against them and their friends. They seem perfectly fine threatening death and violence against people they think 'deserve it'

Just keep in mind the UK is not like the US. Free speech doesn't exist in the UK. You can actually be arrested and go to jail for posing memes and "jokes" there.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

A paradoxical fight between two identity groups.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

I think this is related to the recent Semenya case ruling in the UK about womens sports, and people got upset about the ruling.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

I think this is related to the recent Semenya case ruling in the UK about womens sports, and people got upset about the ruling.

It's not related at all. All of the context is in the actual article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
With all the stuff that's been happening with the UK over the last few years, I am always reminded not to take free speech for granted.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I was always worried about this happening. There were a lot of obsessive and hateful people who rallied behind Lily using the character as some kind of a figurehead for their movement. I guess it was only a matter of time until something liked this happened and the death threats started happening against people, but I worried they'd direct it towards the director and seiyuu given their comments on the character
IanC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Terf isn't, and will never be, a slur. It's a factual term used to describe a group of people. Some are even proud to be called so.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I was always worried about this happening. There were a lot of obsessive and hateful people who rallied behind Lily using the character as some kind of a figurehead for their movement.

Last I checked, they were just trans folks who liked Lily as a character they could get behind against TERFs who want to say Trans people don't exist.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Terf isn't, and will never be, a slur. It's a factual term used to describe a group of people. Some are even proud to be called so.

Amen. Heck, I'm not even gonna mince words: Terfs are part of a hate group. Period
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

I'm not so sure that's an accepted parameter for a word being a slur or not. Otherwise the N word stopped being a slur a few decades ago.

A slur by definition is "derogatory or insulting term applied to particular group of people" If a group feels a word is derogatory towards them, it's a slur. Plain and simple. You can't police and tell people what should or should not hurt them.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
/eye roll
How about unless someone is receiving DEATH threats, the government backs the hell out of it?
ballinamon

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Damn Scottish, they ruined Scotland!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I'm not so sure that's an accepted parameter for a word being a slur or not. Otherwise the N word stopped being a slur a few decades ago.

A slur by definition is "derogatory or insulting term applied to particular group of people" If a group feels a word is derogatory towards them, it's a slur. Plain and simple. You can't police and tell people what should or should not hurt them.

Oof, okay. Off topic, but the N-word being reclaimed by Black people as empowering is a whole different kettle of fish than a non-Black person using the N-word; in the latter case, it can never be anything but derogatory and, therefore, a slur.

On-topic, TERF is not a slur; you could, I suppose, try framing it backward: radical feminists who exclude transpeople and use RFWET instead, but it’s still not a slur. Nothing about the words “trans-exclusionary”, “radical”, or even “feminist” are slurs. You can certainly use those words in a derogatory tone, the same way people in certain sections of the Internet fairly spit the term “feminist”, but TERF as a word is not derived from any of the derogatory origins that other slurs are—like skin color or genitalia. It is inherently factual—unflattering, to be sure, but that’s perhaps an issue with TERF policies rather than the words that make up the acronym TERF itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3