• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Sonic The Hedgehog Cartoons That Are Probably Better Than The Movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I still love all those old Sonic cartoons. I remember waking up just to record them on tape (I still have some of those tapes).

My main problem with Sonic the Hedgehog ( or as my dad would call it Sonic and Sally) was how they did Tails and how mostly any new Freedom Fighters they would meet or rescue is never heard/seen again.

I Also loved Jun'ichi Kanemaru as Sonic and his random English.

I keep hoping the Sonic the Hedgehog OVA/Movie gets a rerelease in the future.

When I was younger I did not realize Jaleel White voiced Sonia and Manic as well in Sonic Underground.

Also no mention of Sonic Riders opening?
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Ahh the first 3 ones on this list bring me back.... good times.... good times....

I should rewatch them.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I like how Sonic and Tails are staring at the corner with incredulity as though they were saying "Really, Cartoon Network?"

Back then the second Sonic series, or as we called it Sonic Satam (as in Saturday Morning...I know), was my go to for Saturday morning cartoons, alongside Freakazoid, Tazmania, Eek! the Cat, Animaniacs (when they moved) and Earthworm Jim. So upset it got cancelled after the second season due to network meddling (any show set against Power Rangers at the time was practically a death slot).

Thankfully I got over it soon after. That show was a like a gateway toward furry fandom.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
What about the Sonic Mania opening?

Also, Jaleel White is the best Sonic voice actor. Adventures of Sonic and Sonic SATAM were a huge part of my childhood. I remember recording these shows on tape and buying the official VHS copies. I now have the complete series of both shows on DVD. It's a shame that Shout Factory lost the license to both shows. The only way to buy official copies now is on amazon uk.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching a few of these as well as Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons, Rocko's Modern Life, and Gargoyles. Childhood is calling T.T
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I do remember Sonic SatAm, but that show is probably a bit worse for wear now. I had a pretty good time watching it back in the day, even if it was a bit derivative as Saturday morning cartoons go.

Never liked The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

And from that list, I've also watched the Sonic CD intro animation, which was pretty cool. Interestingly, the PAL version had a bit of a trunctated video compared to the PC version I tried later on, which ran a bit smoother and had parts I hadn't seen before. What was up with that; I wondered.

I'm not sure what to do about this new Sonic movie. On one hand, I kind of want to watch it to see how catastrophically bad it'll be. On the other hand.... why would I want to do that?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I demand this article be removed and a written apology be directly addressed to me as it's very offensive and rude and biased. The sonic movie will be great.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest, Dorkly's Sonic the Hedgehog segments are probably better than the movie at the moment (for anyone that decides to look them up on Youtube, be warned some of them are pretty NSFW).
IanC

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Sonic Underground was freaking weird. It aired on Sunday mornings in the UK.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Sonic Underground has to this day the best opening of all Sonic TV shows.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Let's be honest, Dorkly's Sonic the Hedgehog segments are probably better than the movie at the moment (for anyone that decides to look them up on Youtube, be warned some of them are pretty NSFW).

"Huh. Neat."

I remember catching episodes of Adventures of Sonic way back in the Before Times, and SatAM and Underground at least look familiar, though I have no idea if I ever sat through a full episode. I've seen random clips of Sonic Boom, and as heinous as the game it's based on was supposed to be, I was amused at how much blatant ripping on the dumber parts of the franchise they tossed into it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Sonic Underground was freaking weird. It aired on Sunday mornings in the UK.

Long John Baldry was dearly missed, amongst many others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai1622

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
What about the Sonic Mania opening?

Also, Jaleel White is the best Sonic voice actor. Adventures of Sonic and Sonic SATAM were a huge part of my childhood. I remember recording these shows on tape and buying the official VHS copies. I now have the complete series of both shows on DVD. It's a shame that Shout Factory lost the license to both shows. The only way to buy official copies now is on amazon uk.

Actually, Adventures of Sonic is getting a DVD release by Invincible Pictures soon. Hope they can get Sonic SATAM as well.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This was DiC's second Sonic cartoon, this time taking cues from the Archie Comics to produce a series that was darker when compared to Adventures.

It is my understanding that while Archie comics came first, it wasn't until Sonic SatAM had already started that the Archie comics went down the path of darkness itself, almot picking up plot threads from the TV show.

Personally, I never liked Adventures. Sonic SatAM was my go-to with Sonic Underground a close second. I guess I was way past cool for the loony-tunes-esc episodic stuff.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Quote:
This was DiC's second Sonic cartoon, this time taking cues from the Archie Comics to produce a series that was darker when compared to Adventures.

It is my understanding that while Archie comics came first, it wasn't until Sonic SatAM had already started that the Archie comics went down the path of darkness itself, almot picking up plot threads from the TV show.

That's my understanding as well, especially having read some of the early stuff (which, while it did have some of the SatAM characters, was much more like AoStH than SatAM).

Also, AoStH is on Netflix. It did not age well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2