• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Current Ghibli President Kiyofumi Nakajima Shares Recollections of Princess Mononoke's Pro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"To make matters worse, the film had a complex subject matter, and you wouldn't think it was suitable for a summer family film. It's hard to imagine that a film about the struggle of coexistence between man and nature would be a hit."
I'm surprised that Princess Mononoke's environmental themes would be considered controversial when they had success years ago with Nausicaa which explored similar themes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm surprised that Princess Mononoke's environmental themes would be considered controversial when they had success years ago with Nausicaa which explored similar themes.

One of the reasons Mononoke didn't catch on with US audiences was both a fan and non-fan sigh of "When does Japan NOT fall back on 'Man must be more aware of his relationship with the Earth' when they need to paste on a message in the climax?"
In the worst cases, it can sometimes come off seeming a little hypocritical.

The US fans who remembered Nausicaa noted the story resemblance, but thought Nausicaa was at least a little more earnest in her pursuit, and a more sympathetic "real" character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1