• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami Announces TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine mini Console

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
normally I dont go for these, but

Ys Book I & II

caught my eye...if the price is right, its worth it for that alone
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It is worth noting that Konami's advertising for this product is already potentially making promises that will either not be kept, or aren't even meant to be promised.

Yes, in the b-roll background featuring game footage, Konami USA is showing images of Lords of Thunder, Bonk's Adventure, China Warrior, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, & even Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (i.e. one of the most coveted & expensive PC-Engine CD games today). Either Konami just gave away some of the other games that will be announced (likely), or Konami is literally just throwing any old random PC-Engine game it could think of in that background.

Either way, that's not a good way to announce your Mini console, because now I want the American & European release to include Lords of Thunder, Rondo of Blood, & Sapphire.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Cotton is another game that needs to be on it, especially since the US version which can often outdo Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire in price, but it's nothing compared to Magical Chase's $1200+ price tag for the US version.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The PC Engine was an amazing system back in the day and had some of the best games from the time on them, especially if you were a fan of RPGs Sadly most of them never made it to the west and you wouldn't be able to have played them until emulation and fan translations. The Tengai Makyou series, the Cosmic Fantasy series, the Valis series, the Ys series. We eventually did see a lot of the Ys series in the west down the road through other ports, but we still never got 4 or 5. Sadly the US library is maybe like 15% of the JP library so the pickings for the US version will be pretty slim.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love Konami mining their backlog of titles made by people they screwed over.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh no way dude. Count me the hell in. Off the top of my head I'd love to see Lords of Thunder, Ys I & II and Rondo of Blood. Hope there's a healthy selection of PC Engine CD and TurboDuo titles.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 am Reply with quote
Will buy when Martial Champions is available for it...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Oh no way dude. Count me the hell in. Off the top of my head I'd love to see Lords of Thunder, Ys I & II and Rondo of Blood.

You hate ports but emulation of game's that have been ported to other systems is fine?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The PC-Engine/Turbografx-16 was a criminally, criminally, underrated system. It had a decent library with some really nice music courtesy of Victor Music Industries. Smile

Yes, I know. It wasn't a real 16-bit machine but it didn't matter. The games were fun and that's all that counts.

Plus, I still stand to this day that Devil's Crush is quite possibly the best video pinball game ever made.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
That was really surprising from Konami, I know that they've done horrible business decisions (for consumers and developers, I heard that financially they're doing well) since the last 5 years, but I don't think continually insulting them will encourage them to revive all of their dead franchises. As for the PC-Engine, I just hope that some of the Japan-exclusive titles like Rondo of Blood are also included in the Turbo 16 version (I know it seems it's going to be some region differences but it looks like a japanese only game is coming to the American version). It's also kind of weird they included Turbo CD games while SEGA didn't include any in the Mini Mega Drive.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
anddo! wrote:
Oh no way dude. Count me the hell in. Off the top of my head I'd love to see Lords of Thunder, Ys I & II and Rondo of Blood.

You hate ports but emulation of game's that have been ported to other systems is fine?

The only other system that the Turbo Duo version of Ys Books I & II has been ported to was the Wii Virtual Console, and that's ironically now harder to get a hold of than the TD version thanks to the Wii shop shutting down. Yes, there have been many other versions of Ys I & II, but they all have some significant differences from each other, and the TD version is still considered to be one of the best.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
It's also kind of weird they included Turbo CD games while SEGA didn't include any in the Mini Mega Drive.

Presumably because they specifically wanted to only do Sega Genesis titles (after that last couple of fuckups from AtGames), that and most of the Sega CD's library was.....not that good or memorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1