• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Delayed Indefinitely

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Just let it be known that this very day, July 16, is the day that the Akira movie opens with.

If that isn't symbolic of something, then I don't know what is.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Error: "Entertainment new website The Hollywood Reporter reported on Tuesday that Waititi is directing Warner Bros.' Thor 4 film." (This is supposed to be "Disney's," I have to imagine.)

That said, I wonder how this impacts the Akira anime TV series by Sunrise. Was the decision to make it done under the assumption it'd benefit from the Hollywood movie hype? Anyway, there really doesn't need to be more Thor movies, and while it's likely the case that an Akira live-action isn't a much better idea, they need to make up their mind about it before it just becomes a lazy afterthought production.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Error: "Entertainment new website The Hollywood Reporter reported on Tuesday that Waititi is directing Warner Bros.' Thor 4 film." (This is supposed to be "Disney's," I have to imagine.)

We updated the sentence. Thanks!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
So what happened to that California tax incentive they were going to get? Really I'm fine with putting all future anime live action remakes on hold indefinitely. I'm satisfied with what we got out of Alita.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Otomo looks to have us covered. So it's okay.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
For awhile there i thought this might finally get green lit, oh well

But i have to say tough they really missed an opportunity here, if they made to be release by next year it would of have been fitting and sales might have been higher than average considering it will be the 30th anniversary and that the 2020 olympics will be in japan the very thing this series predicted would happen all those years ago.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
As someone frustrated by the fact that when you GIS "Ghost in the Shell" you get almost all images from the live-action movie that nobody actually liked, I'm very glad they're missing that opportunity.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Just let it be known that this very day, July 16, is the day that the Akira movie opens with.

If that isn't symbolic of something, then I don't know what is.

Either Tetsuo or Akira himself used their psychic powers to break through the 4th wall and willed a stop to a potential desecration of their world.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
See, good things do happen!

Or not happen.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I feel like changes to a script for Akira could EASILY lead to a crap movie. If there were "creative differences" I think Taika shouldn't do the project PERIOD!
Remember the time period when studios would trust in the capabilities of the director and give them whatever freedom they wanted with a small or medium budget?
It's not like it should be a CGI demanding movie. some simple levitating object tricks, a good location, fake blood packets, and some good prosthetic can go a long way in keeping a movie low budget. Who knows what the director was aiming for when casting the actors though...casting is what's killing a lot of movies before they even get released.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahaha who cares? Otomo is back with a brand new Akira anime. Hollywood has already done its job provoking the original creator enough to net us a brand new Akira production a la Dragon Ball Evolution > Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods. Another absolutely based example of serendipity.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Just let. It. DIE. No one cares, especially after the disaster of the GitS movie
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I had a VERY hard time believing Oshii really had anything positive to say about the live-action GitS, no matter what the press would have us believe, thanks to the ham-fisted-as-usual Hollywood approach to anything the producers don't have an emotional (read: non-monetary) investment in. Any live-action Akira would assuredly suffer a similarly humiliation.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Anyway, there really doesn't need to be more Thor movies, and while it's likely the case that an Akira live-action isn't a much better idea, they need to make up their mind about it before it just becomes a lazy afterthought production.

The story of Akira didn't even translate well for anime-only viewers in the original film; the chance of a Hollywood film doing better seems extremely remote, no matter how good the talent behind it.

Thor 4 directed by Taika Waititi, on the other hand, is a much more exciting, confidence-inspiring project.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/avengers-endgame-fat-thor-ptsd-jokes-controversy

Quote:
At a meeting that some in Hollywood might consider unusual, Feige not only listened to his star’s concerns—he took notes. “I feel l like I’m dying here,” Hemsworth told Feige. “I feel like I have handcuffs on.”

“It has to be funnier; it has to be unpredictable,” the actor remembered saying. “Tonally, we’ve just got to wipe the table again.” That reset for Thor—and a massive infusion of improvisational humor—came courtesy of Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi, who helped transform Marvel’s most stately and straitlaced property into a zany, no-holds-barred adventure that gave Guardians of the Galaxy competition for the oddball crown.

Quote:
But by the time Endgame rolled around—and so many of his castmates were ready to say goodbye—Hemsworth was just getting started on this newer, funnier Thor. Sitting opposite from me, his greasy wig lank and his unkempt beard scraggly, Hemsworth said he was finally playing Thor as he was meant to, not as he was expected to. This is the exact lesson Frigga imparts to her heartbroken son in Endgame.

“It’s time to be who I am instead of who I’m supposed to be,” Thor tells Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) as Endgame wraps up.

Quote:
Sitting on the set of Endgame in 2017, watching Hemsworth improvise zinger after zinger through that tumbleweed of a beard, Robert Downey Jr. told me he was excited for the actor’s future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe—even if it meant soldiering on without the original Avengers by his side: “I don’t even know how to express my joy at Chris’s vibe right now. Hemsworth. Dude, it’s just too great.”

“Some people come out of the gates with all the confidence in the world,” Hemsworth said of his long period of uncertainty in the M.C.U., “and I think I was always looking for someone to steer me in the right direction.”

I recognize my preference falls into the Hollywood principle that audiences are looking for safe investments - sequels, etc. - but we're comparing a sequel to a live-action anime remake. If Taika Waititi had an original project in the works in cooperation with an esteemed Japanese creator, and that got shelved in favor of Thor 4 - like Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro had with Silent Hills - that I would consider unfortunate. But this, this is good news in my opinion.
fausti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, we all dodged a bullet. May it stay chained in development hell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4