• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Netflix's Saint Seiya Reboot Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess from what I read, is that Netflix tried to make the Scrappy Doo of anime.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
"Male writer decides to gender flip the female fan favorite character in order to appeal to women" is one of the most hilarious and sad instances of completely misunderstanding your audience that I can think of in recent memory. I guess it didn't really matter in the end though cause it was trash anyway.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But between the Americanized names of the cast, the chunky and bloodless CG action, and Netflix not even including a Japanese voice track, Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya feels like the 4Kids version of itself.

I never even watched Saint Seiya (even when it ran on Saturdays on CN) and know this is just dumb.

Quote:
What gives. Y'all finally figured out how to make CG anime look at least as good as Jimmy Neutron,

......Are we talking the movie or the TV series cause the CG didn't age well in neither of those so that's damning bit of praise.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaorichama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:
"Male writer decides to gender flip the female fan favorite character in order to appeal to women"

Oh boy, I've got some possible bad news about the fanbase; there's a lot of wahmen in here. And rumors say this show started the BL craze we all know today.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
As a Latin American who's well, not really interested in the series, I've heard that most people are incredibly angry at the dub, since Seiya's new voice is just... dreadful. But finding a proper replacement for the late Jesús Barrero has been a nightmare. They could've gone with his nephew, José Gilberto Vilchis (Shun's original voice actor, who replaced him in Toy Story), but they didn't for stupid reasons.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Ya know it’s sad, this show was most likely commissioned to be able to create a sizable audience for Saint Seiya in America considering it’s already a big thing in a lot of other places.

But this was definitly not the way to do it. Again it’s sad, there was a good deal of potential especially in adapting a new version of the original material thanks several decades old but it needs to be more clever than just putting in paramilitary troops & attack choppers.

Plus it’s only 6 episodes. That is so weird, I don’t think anyone expected it to be that ridiculously short.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:
"Male writer decides to gender flip the female fan favorite character in order to appeal to women" is one of the most hilarious and sad instances of completely misunderstanding your audience that I can think of in recent memory. I guess it didn't really matter in the end though cause it was trash anyway.

"Manbaby Anime Fans Dislike Theres a Woman in Their Show Now"

That's the headline for some articles I expect by the end of the week.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Ya know it’s sad, this show was most likely commissioned to be able to create a sizable audience for Saint Seiya in America considering it’s already a big thing in a lot of other places.

But this was definitly not the way to do it. Again it’s sad, there was a good deal of potential especially in adapting a new version of the original material thanks several decades old but it needs to be more clever than just putting in paramilitary troops & attack choppers.

Plus it’s only 6 episodes. That is so weird, I don’t think anyone expected it to be that ridiculously short.

Apparently the second half of the season hits in two months. This was the first half.

I thought it was a simple story, but moved too fast and needed some blood and the like for oomph. The core is still there but it needs to slow down.

That being said, if kids do take to this show? I’m gonna laugh my head off. “Dragon Prince is boring, in this show people punch people in the face!”
geepee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
As a Latin American who's well, not really interested in the series, I've heard that most people are incredibly angry at the dub, since Seiya's new voice is just... dreadful. But finding a proper replacement for the late Jesús Barrero has been a nightmare. They could've gone with his nephew, José Gilberto Vilchis (Shun's original voice actor, who replaced him in Toy Story), but they didn't for stupid reasons.

they wanted star power from a local [expletive] youtuber,that's the reason...
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:

"Manbaby Anime Fans Dislike Theres a Woman in Their Show Now"

That's the headline for some articles I expect by the end of the week.

Doubt this gets any press coverage at all. No one was defending it even when it was unannounced. Not surprising as the ones the women they expected to valiantly defend them against the angry manbabies were the ones who were most furious.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

they wanted star power from a local [expletive] youtuber,that's the reason...

Well, can we say that this star talent wasn't enough for this constellation-based series?
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaorichama wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:
"Male writer decides to gender flip the female fan favorite character in order to appeal to women"

Oh boy, I've got some possible bad news about the fanbase; there's a lot of wahmen in here. And rumors say this show started the BL craze we all know today.

Was it Saint Seiya? My money would of been on Gundam Wing but I was in that fandom when it was literally blowing up everywhere (Along with Robin Warriors). I vaguely remember Saint Seiya getting compared to Ronin Warriors a little bit and then the show disappeared completely off TV.

Pissed me off because the dub was horrible but I still wanted to watch it. Saint Seiya, I mean
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I was slightly intrigued by the first episode because of the new material unrelated to the original, but after that... yeah... Doing a Readers Digest version almost never ends well, and when you fritter most of your time away on painfully unfunny skits and showing off military hardware, that approach becomes catastrophic.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Kaorichama wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:

Little known fact:

Legendary CLAMP team started making Saint Seiya doujins.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
So is this really an anime then? It reads more like a western remake of the franchise more than anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3