• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Khara Produces Shin Ultraman Film for 2021

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So the rumors were true. Looking forward to what he comes up with now, all these years later, officially this time!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
So the rumors were true. Looking forward to what he comes up with now, all these years later, officially this time!

So, the origins of Godzilla as an anti-nuclear testing, environmental disaster film are well studied, and Shin Godzilla did, I think, a masterful job in reimagining the franchise for modern concerns with its focus on government ineffectiveness in the face of natural disaster.

But I'll admit, I'm kind of ignorant about what the original Ultraman was trying to say with its themes... Did it have much, if any, deeper thematic consistency that could be updated for this generation? I guess what really matters is how Anno himself interpreted it.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The original Ultraman has a slight environmental bend to it. Ultraman can only be transformed for three minutes because of how polluted the atmosphere is. However Ultraman was really just an exercise in showcasing top of the line special effects on TV. At the time of its production, it was the most expensive Japanese TV series ever
we love lain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaahhh; the Shin cinematic universe officially begins
Gamlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
You can (not) schwatch!

Yet I doubt this film won't reach the US due to the ongoing Chaiyo/BluArc vs Tsupro lawsuit.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
^That lawsuit was settled last year and as a result, we're now getting Tsuburaya Pro-approved Blu-ray releases from Mill Creek starting with Ultra Q & Ultraman in October.

Hopefully this deal extends with this movie as well because after their sloppy Shin Godzilla release, I don't want FUNimation anywhere near this one.
Gamlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^That lawsuit was settled last year and as a result, we're now getting Tsuburaya Pro-approved Blu-ray releases from Mill Creek starting with Ultra Q & Ultraman in October.

Hopefully this deal extends with this movie as well because after their sloppy Shin Godzilla release, I don't want FUNimation anywhere near this one.

Explain this.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
Gamlin wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Explain this.

That's sort of unrelated. Blue Arc is citing the invalidated contract, but it has no actual impact on any of the actual Ultraman stuff. Blue Arc isn't trying to claim on any of the stuff made in Japan, just that their rights to make stuff in China are legal. It could go in any direction, (honestly, I think even the Chinese courts might side against Blue Arc, because giving clearance to probably forged contracts is a really bad idea) but it won't actually impact anything going forward outside Japan.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
So...Ultraman as a horror movie?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1