• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA Season Reveals More Cast, Staff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
If this is the new character designs for Tenchi Muyo, the end is near for Tenchi Muyo.
These character designs make Arifureta's look like works of art.
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The so-called new cast members are actually returning characters with their previous voice actors reprising their roles. Other than that the article is accurate. Also for those unaware with OVA 4's voice cast, due to their previous voice actor's passing both Mihoshi and Nobuyuki were given new voice actors and in Ayeka's case, while her previous voice actress Yumi Takada is still alive, she retired 10 years ago in 2009.

Also on a side note looks like Kiriko and Karen from GXP are returning for the new OVA.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If this is the new character designs for Tenchi Muyo

That's Kajishima.

This is Sakimoto:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAOu-hsUcAEXhVA.jpg:large
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If this is the new character designs for Tenchi Muyo, the end is near for Tenchi Muyo.

They ARE hideous character designs.
TBH, I watched 1 or 2 of the Tenchi Muyo (original series) OVAs recently and the series has not aged well for me.
I can remember when it was huge in the 1990s and early 2000s.
It should be put to bed now I believe...
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, I'm glad to see Kiriko returning! She looks lovely. I'm so glad we're getting an OVA set much further into the future, regardless of what actually happens in it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
If this is the new character designs for Tenchi Muyo

That's Kajishima.

This is Sakimoto:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAOu-hsUcAEXhVA.jpg:large

That may be the case, but they are calling Kajishima's illustration the "new visual", which seems to indicate this is the horrendous new look they are going for.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

If you ask me, Tench Muyo died with Tenchi In Tokyo.
But yes, these designs are outright horrible in my opinion too.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
I don't remember the character designs looking this bad for OVA4 so I don't know why they decided to change the art style like this.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I've seen worse anime character designs (My Sister, My Writer, Sailor Moon Crystal 1-2, cough cough), but AIC can do way better than this (I even bought a book covering most of their older anime at a convention), even hentai anime they've worked on like The Elven Bride looked better than this. Not joking. Confused

Also, not to be off topic, but how many Tenchi Muyo stuff are there? I've only looked at part of the anime (but liked it) and read two of the three Ryo-Ohki light novels (both were very good). Which series/movies are worth watching (yeah, I'm a total newbie to this franchise)?

And who's Arifureta? Another character designer who's art is on par with Masami Obari's?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

They ARE hideous character designs.
TBH, I watched 1 or 2 of the Tenchi Muyo (original series) OVAs recently and the series has not aged well for me.
I can remember when it was huge in the 1990s and early 2000s.
It should be put to bed now I believe...
The classic OVAs are still enjoyable and fun to me but it seems clear to me that Kajishima has written himself into a corner and AIC doesn't have the resources to give Tenchi the proper modern animation it should have.

Quote:
Also, not to be off topic, but how many Tenchi Muyo stuff are there? I've only looked at part of the anime (but liked it) and read two of the three Ryo-Ohki light novels (both were very good). Which series/movies are worth watching (yeah, I'm a total newbie to this franchise)?

And who's Arifureta? Another character designer who's art is on par with Masami Obari's?
Given how convoluted the Kajishima canon has become these days and how you need light novel material that's not available in English to understand any of the newer stuff and invest in the spin offs, I would honestly say Tenchi Universe would be the easiest way to get into the franchise as it has the most streamlined plot and it tells a complete story and then watch the first and third movie. The second movie is eh but not really required watching. If you end up liking Universe, then maybe go back and watch the first two OVA series (which are just released in the US as Tenchi Muyo!). Just be aware the story is still incomplete and post OVA2 stuff isn't as good. If you can find it since it's long been out of print after Pioneer went under, I would also highly recommend the Magical Project S TV series as it's a very amusing magical girl parody spin off with Sasami as the main character. It's not essential canon viewing but it's very funny and I think it's still worth watching years later. It's probably held up even more than most of the mainline Tenchi shows do.

A lot of fans hate Tenchi in Tokyo with a passion but I honestly like it a lot more than the newer OVA canon stuff and I feel like the hatred towards it was overblown and I think In Tokyo has some of the best humor in the series. You'll need to at least have seen Universe to understand In Tokyo since while it is it's own AU canon, it does presume you have some basic knowledge of who all the characters and what the premise of Tenchi is. But I would honestly recommend giving In Tokyo a shot if you end up really liking Universe. But I would definitely watch at least Universe, the first and third movies, the first two OVA series, and Magical Project S. And Arifutera is a new anime airing this summer that's an adaptation of a popular light novel series that has been heavily criticized for it's poor adaptation and character designs.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
First off, I want to say, it's about damn time. Secondly, I'm glad to see m favorite studio, AIC is actually going to make a series again as I was starting to get worried.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Kiriko actually looks fine, but young Kenshi and the other gal... man, I don't know what Kajishima was thinking, considering that to be okay.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about if they are really going to translate these illustrations to the anime character designs but this is exactly the same design aesthetic that has been used for novel and DVD illustrations since at least OVA 3. If you got that in its singles release you should be well acquainted with the style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Welp, that's nightmare fuel if I've ever seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
This is like the 90's again, except for the change to the character design.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2