• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Edo-Era Momo to Manji Boys-Love Manga Inspires Ukiyo-e Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheriru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The only thing im interested in this Article is the
Quote:
Living national treasure Iwano Ichibee (ninth generation)

More input on that would be much more interesting, not this usual half-baked News text (this is one issue i have with this website and their way to short, twitter like news).
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Sheriru wrote:
The only thing im interested in this Article is the
Quote:
Living national treasure Iwano Ichibee (ninth generation)

More input on that would be much more interesting, not this usual half-baked News text (this is one issue i have with this website and their way to short, twitter like news).

I only know of his work incidentally through Canadian born woodblock printer/carver David Bull. Iwano has been David's primary source of quality printing paper for several years now. Done primarily by hand.

There might be an NHK English interview with Iwano on the Japnology Plus series.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Nothing in this article was "copy-pasted" (or half-baked??). However, if you want to know more about him, I recommend reading our other ukiyo-e articles. His name is sometimes romanized as Iwano Ichibei as well, I've written about him numerous times as he regularly creates the washi for pop-culture ukiyo-e prints.

Here's a video from one of our previous articles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9EMhwvRhI

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-09-04/international-orders-open-for-ghost-in-the-shell-ukiyo-e-prints/.92477[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The article is perfectly fine, Lynzee. This is a really neat tidbit and a gorgeous piece of art. Sadly, quite out of my price range... but still, glad you could shine a spotlight on it. It's always neat to see masters create ukiyo-e, regardless of its subject.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1