• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime Gets Sequel Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
Not too surprising but I welcome it.

Hoping they make a season 2 announcement sometimes next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
NICE. While it would have been nice to see it as a weekly thing in the inevitable season 2, it's my favorite arc in the manga and I'm so excited to see it done with a film budget.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Huh... that's actually not a bad idea. Considering how the arc is structured it could definitely fit into a movie so... yeah ok looking forward to it!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
I hope that a season two will still happen and they’re not going with a film format for the rest of the series, especially given how expensive Aniplex titles are and they rarely put their movies up on streaming.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
Are there any cases of a show going from a season to a movie then back to a season? Because the only examples i can remember are boruto and dragon ball super, but they did that by adapting their respective movies into episodes.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
So that means we have to wait for season 2 in TWO YEARS. RIP season 2.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
The anime studio also has to be aware it's getting a US TV broadcast so this seems like a bad move to kill momentum for the franchise.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
The anime studio also has to be aware it's getting a US TV broadcast so this seems like a bad move to kill momentum for the franchise.

I'm sorry but the gap between Attack on Titan Season 1 and Season 2 was of 4 years, and arguably the franchise is stronger than ever now. Shows don't have to get annual seasons in order to stay relevant.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I'm sorry but the gap between Attack on Titan Season 1 and Season 2 was of 4 years, and arguably the franchise is stronger than ever now. Shows don't have to get annual seasons in order to stay relevant.

The sales for the AOT anime decreased dramatically from the 1st to the second and third season.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

But that would imply they could quickly spin another series out, and there's no evidence to hint at that being the case. As of 2017 if was reported that due to increased production, most for hire studios have a backlog of 2 years, meaning unless there was a pre-established deal for more seasons (which seems to be the case with MHA), a wait is pretty much a given without any certified guarantee that the series would perform well enough to produce more content. Granted, the situation may be somewhat different with Ufotable, but they're still working on an upcoming tv series, the last Heavens Feel movie and some videogame content, not to mention they have a history of taking their time with properties. The one possible exception being the God Eater tv series, whose lack of polish clearly showed.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

The sales for the AOT anime decreased dramatically from the 1st to the second and third season.

Implying BD sales are still the primary revenue for the production committee. Sure it's nice when a series sells a lot, but BNHA for example always had weak BD sales and yet the series is one of the most successful shounens in Japan right now.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
YES! YES! YES!

If it's a movie from UFOTABLE, it's gonna be even better animation. Hope they have a S02 announcement after that
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Uhh... No? Wit LOST money delaying Attack On Titan. They were in the red for awhile.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
While I am definitely okay with the series getting a movie because I think this arc is small enough to fit inside the time frame of a movie and still be epically awesome to watch, I'm still really very very very scared that after the movie there won't be a season 2. I mean, it's such a rare move for a series as good as this one to go from one season, to a movie, and back to a season 2. So dear God, oh please dear God, let there be a season 2 after the movie because I really really really want more of Demon Slayer! Anime cry
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Implying BD sales are still the primary revenue for the production committee. Sure it's nice when a series sells a lot, but BNHA for example always had weak BD sales and yet the series is one of the most successful shounens in Japan right now.

And that’s the thing AOT did sell a lot it’s first season to be considered a major hit. Whereas the second and third season performed dramatically worse.

You said it yourself BNHA always had weak BD sales so that’s a poor comparison to what happened with AOT.

AOT is still popular and it’s manga sells very well but it’s definitely not “more popular than ever” as you implied. The long wait definitely had a negative impact on its sales.

I don’t want to get off topic. KNY also sold really well (not as well as AOT first season) but still enough to be considered a hit. So I hope it will continue to do well but it’s odd to use AOT as an example of something that didn’t kill momentum when it actually did. Seriously going from 50,000 average sales to 3000 definitely a let down no matter how you slice it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2