• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HBO Max to Stream Studio Ghibli Films in Spring 2020

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Haha that Polygon article from literally two days ago did not age well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaaaat? I thought Mr. 20th century man (Miyasaki) was against it.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow......yesterday we have news that Ghibli disproves online streaming, or more precisely, casual viewing (which does sound pretty arrogant in their end), and now this...I guess nothing is more convincing than obscene amount of cash then Laughing

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The Internet is going to have to retract all those “Ghibli will never stream!” articles.
Expias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
RIP Polygon.

Quote:
Update (10/17): Shortly after our story went live, WarnerMedia announced the acquisition of streaming rights to the Studio Ghibli catalogue. The films will live exclusively on HBO Max beginning in spring 2020. To learn more about why Disney, the longtime shepherd of the Ghibli brand in North America won’t be showing the movies on Disney Plus, read our original story.

LMFAO.

Edit: I am very curious about what is happening. Polygon alleges they tried to get GKIDS or a rep from Studio Ghibli for updates.

Quote:
“Studio Ghibli does not make their films available digitally, whether for download or streaming, anywhere in the world,” a GKids representative told Polygon over email earlier this year. “They continue to believe that presentation is vital and particularly appreciate opportunities for audiences to experience the films together in a theatrical setting.”
(GKids was unable to provide a comment from a Studio Ghibli representation for further clarification or additional updates on deals in progress.)

Last edited by Expias on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Grave of the Fireflies won't be included in that media bundle considering Sentai Filmworks still has the rights to it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Still holding out on On Your Mark and the rest of that Ghiblies Collection.....
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
In fairness to Polygon, GKids had claimed in the past Ghibli would never stream their films which may have been what GKids was told until this deal was worked out. https://twitter.com/gkidsfilms/status/1138441024710356995?s=21
Expias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Looks like Grave of the Fireflies won't be included in that media bundle considering Sentai Filmworks still has the rights to it?

Correct.

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1184881758153478144
Quote:
This will include the entire Studio Ghibli catalog at the service launch in Spring 2020, with the exception of Grave of the Fireflies. The Wind Rises will join in Fall 2020!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

As stated by someone else, Grave is indeed excluded. Due to production technicalities, a completely different studio in Japan owns the rights to that film, continually making it the odd-man out when it comes to the Ghibli catalog. GKIDS has only managed to get the theatrical rights to it for the Ghibli Festivals, but Sentai likely owns the digital rights still.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Gkids: there are currently no plans to release the anime studio's catalog on streaming services, be it Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+. The same goes for pay-per-view streaming services like Amazon Prime or Apple Movies.

Hbo: hold my beer
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Well it’s not Tv.

It’s HBO. Razz
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
It is possible that Studio Ghibli meant they themselves would not make a streaming service for their movies. It is also possible that they changed their mind between the time that article was published and the time that this ANN story were published.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
According to Gkids, yesterday's article about them telling Polygon that there were no plans to stream Ghibli movies was based on a conversation that took place over a year ago.

In other words, it's likely a repeat of how the Funimation acquisition stories about them turning down offers were resubmitted as current news, just prior to being picked up by Sony. The news didn't come from GKids, but was probably pushed by a pr/marketing firm trying to drum up interest and fan engagement prior to the big announcement. Either that, or Polygon heard the news in advance and pushed a cheap article to capitalize on the news.

Either way, we fell for it yet again.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means the movies will be available for digital purchase such as iTunes, Vudu, amazon video, Google Play, etc. Digital copies with the blurays would also be appreciated, although I already own most of them lol. Maybe offer the Disk to Digital service that Vudu has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3