• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Editor Updates on Plans to End Manga in 5 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, Natiō assured fans that "if Oda says it will be five years, then it will surely end in five years."

Nah, I highly doubt that. Oda's gonna end it in 2072. Razz
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The man never goes back to his own home so he sleeps in his dark office & only for 3 hours a day.

This is not how a human being should live. Crying or Very sad
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
The man never goes back to his own home so he sleeps in his dark office & only for 3 hours a day.

No, it’s not. Part of me wonders if he’s aiming for five years because he knows his body won’t be able to keep this pace longer than that.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Uh-huh. Sure, Mr. Editor.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

No, it’s not. Part of me wonders if he’s aiming for five years because he knows his body won’t be able to keep this pace longer than that.

Your totally right. As much as I love my Manga. I think that japan should seriously consider going the US comic book route and be made monthly or bi-weekly(yes I know there are already monthly manga, but I mean as a whole). Say what you want about American comics, but I have never heard of a writer or illustrator quitting because of overwork.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
They don't have to quit, they just get replaced.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
No way it's ending in 5 years considering how much unresolved stuff there still is going on, not to mention the fact that Oda has to take a week off at least once every month. To do that would require Oda to rush everything and sacrifice quality and that's just not something that should be done in my opinion.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
In other words, there’s still five years left to being back Jimbei!
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Your totally right. As much as I love my Manga. I think that japan should seriously consider going the US comic book route and be made monthly or bi-weekly(yes I know there are already monthly manga, but I mean as a whole). Say what you want about American comics, but I have never heard of a writer or illustrator quitting because of overwork.

They got replaced by other people before they could say anything. Especially when it comes to big name franchises. You can't exactly replace Oda, since it won't be One Piece anymore. Maybe as artist, but considering Oda's overworking habit is his own choice (weekly manga is indeed harsh, but not as bad as Oda's case).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Editor Takuma Naitō: "If Oda says it will be five years, then it will surely end in five years"

You must be new here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:

Don't need to quit via overwork when you simply get fed up with shady practices or simply fired for a variety of reasons.

JeffreySweeney wrote:
No way it's ending in 5 years considering how much unresolved stuff there still is going on, not to mention the fact that Oda has to take a week off at least once every month. To do that would require Oda to rush everything and sacrifice quality and that's just not something that should be done in my opinion.

I mean not every single aspect and plotline will be resolved few long running stories that I know of tie up every loose end before they wrap up. So of course some of that stuff will happen here anyway.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

I’m sure Oda is crying... on his way to the bank. One Piece is worth an estimated $21 billion.

Oda is from Kumamoto prefecture, which has one of the lowest earning potentials among all prefectures in Japan. Think about what One Piece means for his family... not even immediate family, but generationally. He’s also trying to lift up his hometown.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

I’m sure Oda is crying... on his way to the bank. One Piece is worth an estimated $21 billion.

Oda is from Kumamoto prefecture, which has one of the lowest earning potentials among all prefectures in Japan. Think about what One Piece means for his family... not even immediate family, but generationally. He’s also trying to lift up his hometown.

yeah...thats not what he meant, and you know it.

and im not sure I want it to end but hey, all good things must come to an end. hell everything must come to and end.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
im not sure I want it to end but hey, all good things must come to an end. hell everything must come to and end.

I only reason I would ever want One Piece to end is because of my curiosity about what Oda would come up with as a follow up series.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:
im not sure I want it to end but hey, all good things must come to an end. hell everything must come to and end.

I only reason I would ever want One Piece to end is because of my curiosity about what Oda would come up with as a follow up series.
He stated several time in the past that he doesn't want to make another serialization in the future. As I see it, he will probably make a few short story (a couple of volume at best) here and there, same as what Toriyama has been doing since the end of DB.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2