• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Banana Fish Causes Spike in Sales at New York Public Library's Gift Shop

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I love it when we nerds infect the mainstream like this! Perhaps they can have a Cape Cod tour too? It's just so nice there in general!
ickybott555

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
English Dub where!?
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
To quote the article
“We think Banana Fish is funny, but it's bringing in money,” said gift shop worker Meghan R.

Um...it may have it's funny moments but I don't think the story itself is funny.

Anyway, on more pressing matters:

The library has a gift shop?!

I've been to NYC twice, but never went to the library. I guess I missed out. Surprising it wasn't on the itinerary since they were school trips.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ickybott555 wrote:
English Dub where!?
As far as I'm aware no one has even licensed it(someone once mentioned Aniplex but I've seen no evidence), and they don't have that deal with Sentai any more. So unless someone licences it, no idea who, Funimation do not seem interested in titles that have already aired, you will just have to wait 5 or so years for a sub-only release from Discotek.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this article on twitter a few days ago was amusing and so awesome. There is video of someone recording a report on the radio, too. I love it.

I think the employees know next to nothing about BF, they just think the title is funny. The series itself is anything but.

I have communicated directly with Sentai, among other companies, and they are the only ones to respond with interest in liscensing this much derserving series. Its a crying shame that its being ignored so much overseas. I have pretty much lost hope anyway. It would benefit so much from a dub, it takes place in America for crap's sake.

It just makes me sad. I want to own it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny how the article makes it sound like NYC has one library when it's the Mid-Manhattan branch where that big reading room is. I think I went into that room once and it was so mobbed, you could hardly walk through it.
catandmouse wrote:
Anyway, on more pressing matters:

The library has a gift shop?!

I've been to NYC twice, but never went to the library. I guess I missed out. Surprising it wasn't on the itinerary since they were school trips.

The gift shop is right up the giant steps at the 42nd Street entrance where the famous lion statues are.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
I never knew you could buy chairs at a library.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 am Reply with quote
^ They're really tiny chairs. Dollhouse size versions of the "iconic chair ... designed by architects Carrère and Hasting" in 1911.

catandmouse wrote:
To quote the article
“We think Banana Fish is funny, but it's bringing in money,” said gift shop worker Meghan R.

I think they have not seen the anime. >.>
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
There is a great picture of a girl holding up what looks like a cel so it fits Ash in place of where he was in the show.https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/banana-fish-library-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024
Graceful Nanami wrote:
I have communicated directly with Sentai, among other companies, and they are the only ones to respond with interest in liscensing this much derserving series. Its a crying shame that its being ignored so much overseas. I have pretty much lost hope anyway. It would benefit so much from a dub, it takes place in America for crap's sake.
That makes sense, they started doing a lot of titles like this, David Wald most likely will be eager to direct the dub.
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Perhaps they can have a Cape Cod tour too? It's just so nice there in general!

According to Kinki Nippon Tourist Kanto's official website, fans did indeed get to tour Cape Cod! Smile

Graceful Nanami wrote:

I don't think it's being ignored so much as it's another victim of the Noitamina/Amazon Prime deal. I'm sure their contract stipulates that Amazon gets exclusive international streaming rights for x-amount of time before the series can be released on DVD/Blu-ray. I mean, it's just a guess, but I do know that Netflix has a three year rule (Answerman talked about it here). Another possibility is that the physical media rights are currently available, but North American companies have been passing because they want both the physical and streaming rights to the series (since that's where the money is). If that's the case, we'll just have to wait, and wait, and wait... It sucks, because I think Banana Fish was the last title included in the Noitamina/Amazon Prime deal. It just narrowly missed its chance to be free!

MarshalBanana wrote:
As far as I'm aware no one has even licensed it(someone once mentioned Aniplex but I've seen no evidence)

Aniplex of America is good guess. Banana Fish is an Aniplex title, after all (they're on the production committee and they released the series on DVD/Blu-ray in Japan). Plus, Aniplex has been allowing their international licenses to expire so they can release them in the U.S. themselves (that's why Funimation lost the rights to Fullmetal Alchemist and Black Butler). So I can't see them letting Banana Fish go to Sentai, etc. Maaaybe Viz, since Shogakukan's on the production committee, too, and Viz is their subsidiary? IDK.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1