• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang President Christina Miller Steps Down

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Good. Maybe whoever steps up can finally make the network stop shilling Teen Titans Go so much. Mad
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ooooooooh boy. A lot of people don't like Miller. This is going to blow up like crazy on the cartoon circuit.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Good. Maybe whoever steps up can finally make the network stop shilling Teen Titans Go so much. Mad

I don't see why they'd cut down on the most popular and profitable show they have.

I do hope the next president will be more open to action animation, though. It was a pretty big shame those kinds of shows died off.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

I don't see why they'd cut down on the most popular and profitable show they have.

I do hope the next president will be more open to action animation, though. It was a pretty big shame those kinds of shows died off.

Actually the block has been losing a good deal of viewership most likely because of the time when they obsessively aired Go at all hours during the day.

So yes it would be wise to cut down on focusing on one show entirely because regardless of how successful it may be people will inevitably get sick of it.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Actually the block has been losing a good deal of viewership most likely because of the time when they obsessively aired Go at all hours during the day.

So yes it would be wise to cut down on focusing on one show entirely because regardless of how successful it may be people will inevitably get sick of it.

This. I put on Cartoon Network sometimes for my toddler during the day as background noise and only two shows ever air on the channel during the day and that's Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball.

It's like a never-ending marathon.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

This. I put on Cartoon Network sometimes for my toddler during tyhe day as background noise and only two shows ever air on the channel during the day and that's Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball.

I’ve seen worse. Recently I was looking at the TV Guide and it was 100% Teen Titans Go until Adult Swim came on.

It’s sad really. Cartoon Network still has quite a few shows they have the ability to show, but for whatever reason they keep it to like 5 shows. Boomerang is also not using its potential of being a channel for cartoons from previous generations. Some shows are not even that old on it or some being brand new. Boomerang could be like a Cartoon Network Classic 2.0 channel, but it’s more like a Cartoon Network Classic .5 channel.

Adult Swim is pretty lacking too with relying on all those Fox Animated series like Family Guy and such with a couple good Adult Swim series. Toonami is what redeems Adult Swim these days.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
good. she gets rid of adventure and approves a show called apple and onion Mad
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

I'm another that would like to see more action shows on Cartoon Network. When I first got CN, I tuned in every day to the old afternoon Toonami block and later DC shows like Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, and Green Lantern. Can't see why they can't have an afternoon action block again. Just an hour would do, sheesh!

But...from what I understand, action shows don't pull in the ratings like the comedies do, and anyone over age 11 isn't really the demographic CN proper wants. As such, outside of Toonami, I don't watch CN at all.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

This. I put on Cartoon Network sometimes for my toddler during the day as background noise and only two shows ever air on the channel during the day and that's Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball.

God bless you. It's for this reason that I've actively avoided putting on Cartoon Network for my toddler during the day. I work from home so I can easily have the tv on to entertain him and be background noise for me, but there's only so much of Teen Titans Go a girl can passively listen to. Pro-tip, there's a lot more variety on PBS and Nick Jr., but totally get it if there's only so much of those shows you can tolerate!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

I’ve seen worse. Recently I was looking at the TV Guide and it was 100% Teen Titans Go until Adult Swim came on.

It’s sad really. Cartoon Network still has quite a few shows they have the ability to show, but for whatever reason they keep it to like 5 shows. Boomerang is also not using its potential of being a channel for cartoons from previous generations. Some shows are not even that old on it or some being brand new. Boomerang could be like a Cartoon Network Classic 2.0 channel, but it’s more like a Cartoon Network Classic .5 channel.

Boomerang USED to air nothing but cartoons from almost every decade before the 90's and used to air those same cartoons in a cycle/loop. Friday was dedicated to a specific cartoon like the Flintstones or Looney Tunes, Saturday they'd air cartoons from a specific decade, while Sunday was dedicated to Boomeraction. This was on top of the fact that they didn't use to air commericals.

All this went on at least til probably 2010/2011 or so now they're basically doing with Nicktoons basically did.

Many of these cartoons were cartoons CN used to air back in the day like Scooby Doo WAY, The Smurfs, Snorks, The Banana Splits while Boomerang originally was like a hour long/2 hour long block on the Network that ran early mornings on weekends doing what the network was already doing.

MoonPhase1 wrote:

Adult Swim is pretty lacking too with relying on all those Fox Animated series like Family Guy and such with a couple good Adult Swim series. Toonami is what redeems Adult Swim these days.

Keep in mind those syndicated shows bring in consistently higher ratings than what the Toonami block brings in I also think they're not as expensive to air as the anime are so that's why we get them......doesn't explain those dumb live action shows they used to air on Thursdays or the mostly crappy original shows like Perfect Hair Forever, Tom Goes To The Mayor, or Aqua Teen.

Scion Drake wrote:

Hasn't stopped Nickelodeon from airing Spongebob multiple hours in a given week.......for the last 6-9 years.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:

To be fair Gumball is easily the best show CN has made in the past decade.

TTG is okay. It's written by people clearly having fun, though it didn't get good until season 3 when it morphed into Family Guy: For Kids That was when the writers just went all in and the episode that won me over were the Goonies and Breakfast Club parodies when I was watching with my nephew a few years back. The Teen Titans fan salt is just a bonus. Razz

Mawdryn wrote:
But...from what I understand, action shows don't pull in the ratings like the comedies do, and anyone over age 11 isn't really the demographic CN proper wants. As such, outside of Toonami, I don't watch CN at all.

They don't. The closest thing to an action show CN has right now is Transformers, and that's consistently one of the lowest rated shows on CN. The only "anime" they have, Bakugan, is also down there with it. Even Mao Mao, which is mostly comedy in a 'fantasy action' setting, is kind of middling in ratings and I can unfortunately see it only getting 2 or 3 seasons before being cancelled unless the toys sell well.

I think the general consensus is if you want action cartoons, watch anime. I see lots of young teens into My Hero, Demon Slayer, and other anime. Networks can't really be blamed for dumping action cartoons, the audience and ratings just aren't there.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

MoonPhase1 wrote:

Keep in mind those syndicated shows bring in consistently higher ratings than what the Toonami block brings in I also think they're not as expensive to air as the anime are so that's why we get them......doesn't explain those dumb live action shows they used to air on Thursdays or the mostly crappy original shows like Perfect Hair Forever, Tom Goes To The Mayor, or Aqua Teen.

Actually Jason Demarco has stated that the anime on Toonami are FAR, FAR cheaper than Family Guy, in fact the Fox acquisitions are the most expensive shows on the block. IIRC they're going to be losing the rights to Family Guy soon.

Also you take that back about Aqua Teen. :<
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Actually Jason Demarco has stated that the anime on Toonami are FAR, FAR cheaper than Family Guy, in fact the Fox acquisitions are the most expensive shows on the block. IIRC they're going to be losing the rights to Family Guy soon.

Well shit about to be some hard times for Adult Swim.....not as hard as the original version of the block but still.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Also you take that back about Aqua Teen. :<

Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Because everyone thought cutting the cord was a great idea and all the hottest new TV shows moved to streaming and now everyone is shocked we have a million streaming services and that it's harder to find good shows on cable TV anymore.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for late post, but CN been on autopilot for years. Frankly it lost it's own ability to bring on stuff that may entertain potential viewers.

Anime being shown there ends up being years old and people have already watched it online. The network is not going do well expect for young viewers who haven't dove into cartoons or anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1