• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - THANK

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
-FFVII: The thing that made me cringe about that is that Motomu Toriyama is on the team as a co-director. Yech, Square, you have learned nothing

-Battleborn: Now to debate whether it was the bad timing with Overwatch or Pitchford being a toxic landfill of a human being that killed this game. Depends on how much of a cynic you are

-Nintendo Directs: Yeah, I remember when they first got rid of their E3 pressers and everyone was spelling doom and gloom for Nintendo. Talk about getting egg on their faces.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks to this, we can now play the latest Super Robot Wars games in English as soon as they launch, even if they don't reach North America. How cool is that?

Is the english as good as games actually localized?
zenprism

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm thankful for your column, Heidi. I make sure to settle in during a quiet time (usually with a snack of some sort) to read it every week. It takes me back to the days of Gamefan and Next Generation, minus the paper.
Keep up the great work and Happy Thanksgiving!
borobor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
I get a little sad every time someone mocks Battleborn, because there was a good game in there that was trying to do interesting stuff and just had a few too many things dragging it down. In an alternate timeline, without the horrendous marketing and maybe some better game balance and art direction, it could have been great.

Anyway... similar to what the article says about imports, I'm thankful for the continual expansion of English PC releases for foreign games and especially foreign indie games. It feels like a lot of things have opened up from even just a few years ago: Japanese console games finally getting playable PC ports! Official Touhou games on Steam now! There's even Chinese Touhou fangames being released in English (and they're great! Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2 is a beautiful game.)

Black Friday sales, too. Maybe our capitalist dystopia isn't all downsides.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to this, we can now play the latest Super Robot Wars games in English as soon as they launch, even if they don't reach North America. How cool is that?

Is the english as good as games actually localized?

How are English translations for the Asian market not localizing?
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:42 am Reply with quote
@fuuma_monou

Japanese games are only being brought to the western markets, not in Asian market. PC gaming in Japan is very niche though.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
Looking at that import ad, I'm also reminded how how the Atari Lynx became so niche and unavailable in retail stores (crushed by the original Nintento GameBoy and to a lesser degree the Sega GameGear), that we had to go to mail-order outfits like this one for new games for it. In other words, getting a new Lynx game in 1993 in its home country was as difficult as getting an import for the NEO-GEO.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Region locking is almost nonexistent (the 3DS was the last holdout), making games from all territories interchangeable.

The 3DS' region locking was infuriating because the DS didn't have it! I was able to play a handful of Japanese and European DS games that North America didn't get, but had to pass over similar titles with the 3DS because of the region locking (Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 is the one that hurts the most).

I'm happy that Nintendo has gone back to region-free with the Switch-- and also that some Japanese companies are including English (and other) subs with some of their physical releases, on games that are digital-only in other regions. I'm now buying imports on a more regular basis than I ever have.

And I remember ads like that! Mainly saw them in certain comic books. I dunno if I would trust any seller nowadays that misspells "Ys", though Laughing
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Honestly, with consoles becoming region free, i am able to play games a lot more from various around the world than the older consoles i had.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

How are English translations for the Asian market not localizing?

To clarify I was asking is the translation as good as the other SRW games released in the U.S.

Last SRW games to be translated and released in the U.S. (by my recollection) was Endless Frontier. Basically asking is the translation as good as that and the 2 Original Generation games that were released on the GBA.

R. Kasahara wrote:
because of the region locking (Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 is the one that hurts the most)

The game whose preceding title was brought to the west.

R. Kasahara wrote:

The 3DS' region locking was infuriating because the DS didn't have it! I was able to play a handful of Japanese and European DS games that North America didn't get, but had to pass over similar titles with the 3DS

Not simply because of that you like the lime green and black 2DS?

Only Europe and Japan got and since the 2DS is region locked well.....
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:43 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Quote:
Region locking is almost nonexistent (the 3DS was the last holdout), making games from all territories interchangeable.

The 3DS' region locking was infuriating because the DS didn't have it! I was able to play a handful of Japanese and European DS games that North America didn't get, but had to pass over similar titles with the 3DS because of the region locking (Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 is the one that hurts the most).

I'm happy that Nintendo has gone back to region-free with the Switch-- and also that some Japanese companies are including English (and other) subs with some of their physical releases, on games that are digital-only in other regions. I'm now buying imports on a more regular basis than I ever have.

Definitely a tragedy. One of my happiest experiences with the Nintendo DS was importing a copy of Jump Ultimate Stars. Couldn't read a word of what was going on, but with an FAQ I slugged my way through until I unlocked DIO and made a deck with him. Then I got clobbered by hackers on the online multiplayer. Oh, well.

Also, about dual audio--I remember when Odin Sphere on the PS2 had dual audio. It was such a revelation back then, can't recall a game before it doing that.

AiddonValentine wrote:

-Nintendo Directs: Yeah, I remember when they first got rid of their E3 pressers and everyone was spelling doom and gloom for Nintendo. Talk about getting egg on their faces.

Yeah, back during the Wii/DS and up until the Switch's release Nintendo couldn't sneeze without everyone and their uncle pulling a Starscream and tossing out an entire library's worth of "IS NINTENDO DEAD?!"/"NINTENDO DESTINED TO GO THIRD PARTY!!!"/"THE FAILURE OF NINTENDO!!!" thinkpieces, ignoring that Nintendo had plenty of successes between the Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS and Nintendo just focusing on their little niche. And then the Switch came out, and the thinkpieces just... vanished. We might see them come back once Microsoft and Sony put out their next-gen consoles and the one guy who said that the 3DS was out-dated last year starts on how Nintendo needs to make a Switch with greater graphical fidelity or risk total technological obsolescence. Or not, Devs sure are tripping over each other trying to get everything possible onto the Switch (even friggin' Panzer Dragoon).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Yeah, back during the Wii/DS and up until the Switch's release Nintendo couldn't sneeze without everyone and their uncle pulling a Starscream and tossing out an entire library's worth of "IS NINTENDO DEAD?!"/"NINTENDO DESTINED TO GO THIRD PARTY!!!"/"THE FAILURE OF NINTENDO!!!" thinkpieces, ignoring that Nintendo had plenty of successes between the Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS and Nintendo just focusing on their little niche. And then the Switch came out, and the thinkpieces just... vanished. We might see them come back once Microsoft and Sony put out their next-gen consoles and the one guy who said that the 3DS was out-dated last year starts on how Nintendo needs to make a Switch with greater graphical fidelity or risk total technological obsolescence. Or not, Devs sure are tripping over each other trying to get everything possible onto the Switch (even friggin' Panzer Dragoon).

The ironic thing is their "little niche" was far more successful than the PS3 and 360; Nintendo ended that generation in the black, something most companies couldn't say and it opened up TONS more people to gaming because it tapped an audience that most turned their noses up at. Heck, them doing that in the first place was why we had those "doom and gloom" thinkpieces, rather quaint considering how NOW we're finally reexamining gaming fandom. Gee, it's almost like that was one the first signs that maybe we needed to talk about things.

But getting back to the Directs in particular, it was always funny how people tried to act like them forgoing an E3 presser and just do an E3 Direct was reviled. The thing is, even back then there was a TON of criticism around E3 pressers for being very self-indulgent, old-fashioned, awkward, etc. As such, Nintendo was just ahead of the curve. They got to the point and presented things simply instead of obfuscating or drawing things out. Considering how much everyone now copies Directs, it turned out to a game changer
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

But getting back to the Directs in particular, it was always funny how people tried to act like them forgoing an E3 presser and just do an E3 Direct was reviled. The thing is, even back then there was a TON of criticism around E3 pressers for being very self-indulgent, old-fashioned, awkward, etc. As such, Nintendo was just ahead of the curve. They got to the point and presented things simply instead of obfuscating or drawing things out. Considering how much everyone now copies Directs, it turned out to a game changer

I have issues of EGM from as long ago as 2007; already then, people were wondering if there was any point to E3 continuing the way it was without some sort of significant change. Turns out, when your brand is that strong, you don't need a specific venue to promote it. Now you got Sony ripping off Nintendo's Directs.

It's funny because all E3 could do was open their doors to the public, and this having been... done when it was done... you had a lot of people claiming it was true press freedom and you wouldn't get game info tainted by the eeeeevil folks but then surprise surprise, E3 was just smoke and mirrors. Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

The ironic thing is their "little niche" was far more successful than the PS3 and 360; Nintendo ended that generation in the black, something most companies couldn't say and it opened up TONS more people to gaming because it tapped an audience that most turned their noses up at. Heck, them doing that in the first place was why we had those "doom and gloom" thinkpieces, rather quaint considering how NOW we're finally reexamining gaming fandom. Gee, it's almost like that was one the first signs that maybe we needed to talk about things.

I mean you're not wrong with them finishing that generation in better position than they did with the Gamecube.....conveniently ignored though how the WiiU brought them down back to earth and things like them opening themselves up to class action lawsuits because of the corner cutting with the joycons not unlike Microsoft and the Xbox 360's RROD problem.

AiddonValentine wrote:

Ehhhh to an extent but like E3 they have those occasional directs that end with people rolling their eyes.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

I have issues of EGM from as long ago as 2007; already then, people were wondering if there was any point to E3 continuing the way it was without some sort of significant change. Turns out, when your brand is that strong, you don't need a specific venue to promote it. Now you got Sony ripping off Nintendo's Directs.

It's funny because all E3 could do was open their doors to the public, and this having been... done when it was done... you had a lot of people claiming it was true press freedom and you wouldn't get game info tainted by the eeeeevil folks but then surprise surprise, E3 was just smoke and mirrors. Laughing

Pretty much; people kept whining for years and years about what to do with E3 and then when Nintendo does do something genuinely different (i.e. the E3 Directs) tons of outlets threw a fit and claimed this was somehow apocalyptic for the company due to "skipping E3". Considering how Sony now literally DOES skip E3 and puts on way worse copies of the Directs, it's clear those comments were completely asinine. Talk about having egg that will never wash off their face
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2