• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens Anime Reveals April 2020 Debut, Staff, Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
So all the theories it would be a reboot, a crossover, or have a female protag have just been thrown out the window. I’ll still likely watch it but I won’t lie that this feels kind of anticlimactic after how much they hyped this for the anniversary of Yugioh. I’m also confused that it’s no longer being made by Studio Gallop? Vrains wasn’t that bad was it?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The MC’s hair is disturbingly simplistic.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
woof woof, that art is god awful. It's starting to look indistinguishable from the Vanguard anime artwork.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So all the theories it would be a reboot, a crossover, or have a female protag have just been thrown out the window. I’ll still likely watch it but I won’t lie that this feels kind of anticlimactic after how much they hyped this for the anniversary of Yugioh. I’m also confused that it’s no longer being made by Studio Gallop? Vrains wasn’t that bad was it?

feels like a younger rebot.

Looks cute and fun!
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Starting from 5Ds, every season of Yu-gi-oh has experimented new concepts that other prior Seasons have not tried before, people aren’t crazy about riding duels back when it was announced on 2008, and you already know what happened next: people absolutely love them, well, vast majority of them.

That being said, goodness, are we gonna embrace another debate that is basically Pokémon Sun and Moon 2.0?

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of the reactions are because Konami hyped this up as a huge deal for the anniversary and it just feels like more of the same. Which isn’t bad but not what people had in mind for an anniversary project. I’m just a little concerned about the change in studio but I’m sure it will turn out fine.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So all the theories it would be a reboot, a crossover, or have a female protag have just been thrown out the window. I’ll still likely watch it but I won’t lie that this feels kind of anticlimactic after how much they hyped this for the anniversary of Yugioh.

I have not heard of those theories, or I would call speculations, but that is due to me not being attune to the happenings of the Yu-Gi-Oh fanbase. Personally I care less for much of these speculations with the exception of one that speculates of the upcoming anime staring a female protagonist since I would like to see a Yu-Gi-Oh show in which the protagonist is a female, but I feel the chances of this happening is slim given the demography of this franchise and the people behind the franchise wanting to keep the focus to the demography.

With that said I feel intrigue by the fact that the upcoming Yu-Gi-Oh anime is going to be starring a child as a protagonist instead of a character in their adolescent phase like in past Yu-Gi-Oh stories. I might likely give this a watch when it comes out although I never finish much of the other Yu-Gi-Oh stories with the exception of Duel Monsters (although I am unsure of if I ever seen all of the episodes).

Last edited by Aquasakura on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Master Rule 5 got announced as well, and it's kind of back to basics (RIP Link Monsters, well except for Pendulum users), this means a massive amount of fun and competitive decks are coming back on April Fool's Day.

Now this anime, my god, Yu-Gi-Oh anime have seen better days, this is complete trash, I'll skip it and when the game gets announced for Switch, I'll buy it off the Eshop so I can enjoy Master Rule 5.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This is more like a Yu-Gi-Oh X Battle Spirit anime.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The character art is very uninspired. None of the trademark Yu-Gi-Oh! weirdness. You could flip through your average CoroCoro Comic issue and find the lead character's brothers.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say until reading more, "Damn, they're getting younger every time!" They seem to be making YGO a complete kids anime, like they want to forget everything we knew with Atem, Seto Kaiba, all that...plus I wouldn't have minded seeing what happened after high school with Yugi and them, but I guess that's what fanfics are for.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's odd for me to say perhaps but the design for the MC is overwhelmingly generic, I doubt I'd have guessed it was YGO if not for the article explicitly naming it. Rolling Eyes
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of what happened with Zoids, and probably more similar perhaps, what happened with Digimon before the tri OVAs. It seems like the franchise never really found a core to stick with. Each season they keep trying to hash out some new kind of superficial gimmick to redefine itself, so when they started claiming they'd really change things up for the anniversary season, I wasn't really expecting much. But now my anticipation for this new anime is in the toilet. I'll probably give it a shot out of pure affinity for the franchise overall, but this looks to be easily lining up to be the worst entry.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
Oh God, this has 4K Media/Konami Cross Media written all over it.

A brand new staff and studio sounds promising in theory, but I'm not particularly impressed by the credits of our director and headwriter. Hopefully they surprise me, because as is, Kazuko Tadano is the only name that excited me.

I will say though, I feel ZeXal did a better job of targeting a younger audience while still feeling distinctly Yugioh. My biggest issue with Sevens so far is it looks like every other card game anime out there.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
I haven't followed Yugioh in years but visually this looks really bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2