• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANNCast Holiday Special

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Didn't care for TFA much, TLJ ruined Star Wars in general for me once they committed to this Rebels and Empire thing, I doubt I'll like RoS either. I think I'm done with it. Like I'm listening to this podcast right now, I don't care about spoilers because I feel nothing. Nothing for these characters, their causes, the fate of the galaxy. I want to see it just for completion, but I also don't want Disney to have my money.

If they do more Star Wars, I'd want it be set in no less than a 1000 years before or after the Battle of Yavin, so that these characters, from the entire saga, mean nothing.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Skywalker a good deal more than The Last Jedi since it was more entertaining and had a better narrative structure. Skywalker was copying a bit too much from the original trilogy but it was a fairly good adventure movie. Also at the end of Skywalker spoiler[I was more than a little amused that Rey took advice from Kirito and defeated the Emperor by using two light sabers which did teach the important anime lesson that the only thing more powerful than a sword is two swords].

As for the top 5 anime of the year Demon Slayer, The Rising of the Shield Hero, Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files, Fate/Grand Order, and Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka. An honorable mention goes to Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun for being a creative kids show with a lot of heart.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Didn't care for TFA much, TLJ ruined Star Wars in general for me once they committed to this Rebels and Empire thing, I doubt I'll like RoS either. I think I'm done with it. Like I'm listening to this podcast right now, I don't care about spoilers because I feel nothing. Nothing for these characters, their causes, the fate of the galaxy. I want to see it just for completion, but I also don't want Disney to have my money.

ROS is basically them trying to walk back a lot of the stuff people hated about TLJ, but without just simply retconing everything, so it's kinda messy. It's what you'd expect from a story where two directors kept playing tug-of-war with everything.

I just want another KOTOR RPG myself Laughing But the chances of that are super low since it's no longer canon and they want everything Star Wars being put out now to be part of the official Disney canon. No more hands-off EU stuff.

Chrono1000 wrote:
As for the top 5 anime of the year Demon Slayer, The Rising of the Shield Hero, Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files, Fate/Grand Order, and Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka. An honorable mention goes to Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun for being a creative kids show with a lot of heart.

Demon Slayer, Dr. Stone, Fire Force, Danmachi 2, and Babylonia would be my top 5. Shield Hero's at #6 for me. Lots of great stuff came out this year but putting out a bunch of hyped shounen shows at once kinda took the top spots automatically for me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't listen to/read the Star Wars stuff because I haven't seen ROS yet, but for me, TLJ was fantastic, and probably the most important thing to happen to the franchise since ESB itself. As long as I live I will never understand the vitriol it received among certain...elements of the fandom. What gives me massive apprehension about ROS is that I don't want to see Abrams undo most of what I loved about TLJ...and even more fundamentally than that, I simply don't trust him to not be completely ham-handed in anything he does. (See: nuTrek)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I just accept that the Skywalker Saga as I prefer it to be ended in 1983 (specifically the unaltered version of Return of the Jedi, still my favourite Star Wars movie, with the Ewok's "Yub Nub" victory song ending) with the only new Star Wars movie I hold in much regard being Rogue One since it's really just supplemental material to the original trilogy.

I agree with walw6pK4Alo that I'd prefer any new Star Wars feature films to be set in entirely different eras well before or after the lifetimes (including however long the Force Ghosts can linger) of Anakin and Luke.

I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet but I may be getting a few months of Disney Plus for Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I agree with walw6pK4Alo that I'd prefer any new Star Wars feature films to be set in entirely different eras well before or after the lifetimes (including however long the Force Ghosts can linger) of Anakin and Luke.

I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet but I may be getting a few months of Disney Plus for Christmas.
There's this bizarre line of thinking that Star Wars films can ONLY be with Skywalkers and Empires versus Rebels. Where the hell did that come from? RLM were 100% wrong with that assessment, there's thousands of stories you can do in the Star Wars universe, and the Mandalorian is proving that you don't need Jedi to tell them.

Also, I really really need someone to break down why The Last Jedi is so amazing, and how they forgive all of that juvenile humor. I prefer Lucas' Jar Jar antics over Yo Momma.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
I think what's holding Disney back from making Star Wars movies set in other galactic eras, either in Old Republic days or far in the future, centuries after the Battle of Yavin (re: when the first Death Star was destroyed) is simply that, if they have a franchise full of distinct entries set hundreds or thousands of years apart from one another, it's next to impossible to "MCU" them, as in have characters cross over from film to film unless they introduce time travel as a thing that exists within the Star Wars galaxy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:59 am Reply with quote
Since Star Wars is now Disney, does that make Rey a Disney princess? Shocked

It's more like Fall of Skywalker - Rey is still not being true to herself and lying to others telling who she is................................. unless in that one very brief moment at the end, that she considers herself spoiler["wed"] and technically became spoiler[Palpatine-Skywalker, er, Solo], then and only then she's technically not lying (but y'know there'd be raging love-triangle fanfics on that one Laughing )

And with that, endeth the brief branch known as the Skywalker bloodline starting with Anakin - who was conceived without a father but immaculately by the Midi-chlorians (so technically the Skywalker line was his mother's)

There were still the animated TV series
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I think what's holding Disney back from making Star Wars movies set in other galactic eras, either in Old Republic days or far in the future, centuries after the Battle of Yavin (re: when the first Death Star was destroyed) is simply that, if they have a franchise full of distinct entries set hundreds or thousands of years apart from one another, it's next to impossible to "MCU" them, as in have characters cross over from film to film unless they introduce time travel as a thing that exists within the Star Wars galaxy.

Pretty much. Spin offs like Rogue One, Solo, and Mandalorian, in addition to whatever cartoons, books and comics there are, show they want everything to be in the same era and have massive crossover potential. I'm sure if Solo was more of a success we'd have seen more movies and shows set in the 'young' era greenlit. Everything these days needs to be a shared universe. And I'm sure it's much easier and safe to just make a show starring young Obi-wan Kenobi rather than a new character in a new era.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
How can they MCU it? They've basically killed everyone off, and Star Wars doesn't work like comic books, you can't just grab some random ass Jedi from some tiny comic and give them a movie. Even the least known Marvel characters probably still had a history stretching back 40 years and hundreds of issues of comics and at least 3 reboots well before 2008 Iron Man began shooting. They're already committed to wiping out the EU meaning Kyle, Dash, and others simply don't exist, and KK herself said there's no materials to pull from.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope the next Star Wars movie is about the kid with the broomstick.

Sounds like The rise of Skywalker walked away from everything that made The last Jedi one of the best movies in the franchise. Oh well.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Pretty much. Spin offs like Rogue One, Solo, and Mandalorian, in addition to whatever cartoons, books and comics there are, show they want everything to be in the same era and have massive crossover potential. I'm sure if Solo was more of a success we'd have seen more movies and shows set in the 'young' era greenlit. Everything these days needs to be a shared universe. And I'm sure it's much easier and safe to just make a show starring young Obi-wan Kenobi rather than a new character in a new era.

To be fair, the vast majority of the EU was within 50 years post-ROTJ. And Lucas himself had some basic ideas for 7-9 and what Rogue One turned out to be.

I don't know why Crispy thinks wiping most of the EU matters. I guarantee the VAST majority of moviegoers have no idea who Kyle Katarn is for example. And besides, they took Thrawn and just put him in a different era so they can easily do the same with certain other EU characters if they felt like it.

Regardless, Star Wars doesn't need to adapt anything. Just tell good stories with a good cast.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
I may like TROS better than the previous two movies as the pure fun factor is way up there. I have only seen it once so far but it seemed like Abrams barely retconned much of anything to me. And Rey finally, totally won me over as a character. spoiler[I still am somewhat upset that it didn't turn out Luke was still alive but I'm super okay with Rey adopting the Skywalker name and I would happily enjoy her future adventures.] Still, I want more Luke and, in a pretty big breakthrough for me, I have finally reached the point where I would be fine with another actor playing a younger version and going on adventures between ROTJ and TFA. But if they don't, I still enjoy the majority of the old EU stories.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I don't know why Crispy thinks wiping most of the EU matters. I guarantee the VAST majority of moviegoers have no idea who Kyle Katarn is for example. And besides, they took Thrawn and just put him in a different era so they can easily do the same with certain other EU characters if they felt like it.

They've taken a lot from the EU and adapted it into the new canon. Rogue One was based on Dark Forces down to the point Jyn Erso was named after Jan Ors. Kylo Ren is also very similar to Jacen Solo and his own story. It's true most movie goers don't know or care about the EU, but you could say that about the comic books the Marvel movies are based on. Arguments like that just seem to pit the mainstream fan against the hardcore fan. The EU isn't totally gone, however. They still acknowledge it and put out merchandise for old EU characters due to their enduring popularity. The fact Disney has put out mainline figures of characters like Revan and Jaina Solo in 2017, years after the new canon had been established, is nothing short of impressive.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's this bizarre line of thinking that Star Wars films can ONLY be with Skywalkers and Empires versus Rebels. Where the hell did that come from? RLM were 100% wrong with that assessment, there's thousands of stories you can do in the Star Wars universe, and the Mandalorian is proving that you don't need Jedi to tell them.

Also, I really really need someone to break down why The Last Jedi is so amazing, and how they forgive all of that juvenile humor. I prefer Lucas' Jar Jar antics over Yo Momma.

Most of the praise stems from how TLJ focuses on subverting expectations, which seems to be a trendy thing these days where most modern reboots wear open disdain for the franchises they're handling on their sleeve. A good example ties into your first point. The main Star Wars movies have always been about the Skywalker lineage. The original trilogy was about Luke, the prequels were about Anakin, and the sequels were about Rey, but TLJ specifically goes out of it's way to say how Rey's parents are nobody special and she's not a Skywalker, subverting the expectations that the long running theme in the franchise would play into the sequels. Which understandably rubbed people the wrong way and ROS had to find a way to fix. One of the most common compliments I've seen the movie get is it's the least Star Wars-y Star Wars movie, which seems like a bizzare way to praise something, but that might just be me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2