• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ascending to the Stars

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! could very well be the best anime of 2020; the scene that Zac highlighted immediately made think about Miyazaki, Takahata and Suzuki. I look forward to your take on the rest of the season. And thank you for addressing Stars Align's abrupt stopping point. The show's content is great, but those last few minutes of episode 12 really soured my experience.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
I gotta say that I'm really impressed with the Stars Align staff's decision to not alter the story despite 12 episodes being cut. They could have very easily altered it to not just end on the dry cliffhanger, for example by spoiler[just ending with the aftermath of the tournament, and dropping the part where Dad's about to get knifed.] In that case, people's reactions would be something like "huh that show was kind of weird; they kind of introduced a lot of plot points with the members' home lives and then didn't really develop them." but it wouldn't have been nearly as much as that stark cliffhanger that we got.

I think it's a really ballsy move and I like it. They took the hand that they were dealt and decided that while they'd prefer to continue the story and hope to be able to, they're also OK on ending with the dry cliffhanger, because that's kind of interesting too as an ambiguous ending, and also says that they're not going to make up some crappy ending and not do justice to the story they wanted to tell.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
^ I agree that ending Stars Align the way they did is very unprecedented, but something tells me that many fans of the show were more upset than impressed because of the mega dark cliffhanger. I was very invested on Stars Align for 11.9 episodes, but now, because of that ending, I kind of hate the show. I feel betrayed.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I really, really enjoyed the premiere of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, but best anime of 2020? I mean, it's only January 11th, folks. I'm going to continue watching and loving it, but I'm doing so regardless of who's name is attached to it. Hopefully each episode maintains the same energy as the first.
Yunho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Stars align just felt weird, it hit everything I want in an anime but I really feel the part about not being able to recommend it to anyone despite enjoying it a lot. It was clearly going places and had things to say that could have possibly been well done. As it is it really is just a bunch of kids with abusive parents play tennis, having no resolution for literally anything ends up making the series say almost nothing about all the different social issues it brings up.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I saw Cats and walked out scratching my head-what the shit was that about? On the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed Star Wars-The Rise Of Skywalker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1