• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. But here it's still clearly designed at the behest of the story first, and may turn off some people who tune into VRMMO anime to see a more ‘realistic’ game system detailed and exploited.

We get cooking shows, we get medical shows, martial arts shows, etc... and it's in the damn video game shown where some people can't shut up about that...it's hilarious in it's own sense.

Quote:
. Hopefully BOFURI realizes what works and doesn't spend too much time on overt game-mechanic elements.

I have been reading the manga, and it feels like the aniem is pretty much skipping over that compared to it, so I would not worry about that.

Last edited by maximilianjenus on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Can......can I say Risa/Sally’s addition to Bufuri made this show soooooooo much more enjoyable? I have a soft spot for girls who are outgoing, considerate to friends, and generally have a heart of champion. I did not know Ross’s energetic personality would be such a nice complement to Maple (well, physically they can mount too, talk about a mobile fortress Laughing ).
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the first two episodes for the most part, but the poor game mechanics are a sticking point for me. I would have preferred if she just was given a glitch character and that's why she OP then it being how the game actually works, but no one else is doing it or it's really that badly designed (only level 20 (presumably max is at least 99) and not a single point of damage already?)

I recall one of the previews mentioned that they were unsure if players could actually feel pain or if this was just Maple not wanting her character to be hurt in regards to the title, but I guess if she actually can taste those insects then we can presume that some degree of pain can also be felt
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I've enjoyed the first two episodes for the most part, but the poor game mechanics are a sticking point for me. I would have preferred if she just was given a glitch character and that's why she OP then it being how the game actually works, but no one else is doing it or it's really that badly designed (only level 20 (presumably max is at least 99) and not a single point of damage already?)

I'll buy that more than Sally swimming circles around a fish. Maple nearly died several times fighting the poison hydra while Sally didn't get a scratch or drown against a boss in its own elemental lair.

I'm in the minority in that I liked the series more when it was just "Maple versus the World" and her historic march on "achievements in ignorance" versus someone who knows what they're doing but still accomplishing.... what other people can't? What Sally said was sound, that she's trading doing damage for speed and evasion, but then she hits for damage on her own anyway? What's the use of even partying up?

As I said before, the series screwed up by not following the fish fight the way Sally said their team would work. If Sally can do everything on her own already then Maple is just a load on her back she has to carry.

Wow, visual metaphor.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show more than I thought I would. Silly? Yes. I have a serious hatred for deep dive MMOs in anime for no particular reason at all though, and it's surprising how much I don't hate it in this show because the game is treated as...a game. Not some super serious sinister plot, not a death game, not an incredibly important world-warping technology that leads to our chosen one being the bestest ever.

Just like, a game man. For fun. Some people take it seriously but others don't, and you can hang out with friends and do dumb things that become stories you all laugh about later. That's incredibly refreshing.

I do think it would be awesome if the show realized how broken Maple is and hot patched a nerf in episode 3, leading to her all of a sudden having to actually learn how to play the game, but I am at peace with that almost certainly not happening. It might go downhill, I feel like they've mined a lot of the obvious jokes already and will have to try a little harder to keep my interest from here on out, but I'm happy with it so far and I was absolutely not expecting to be.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care one whit about the game's MMO-setting having a super-simple broken build and not fixing it; it seems near categorically true to me that anime gets monotonically worse the more it goes to pains to take videogame-world mechanics seriously. Thanks in no small part to it's not worrying about that nonsense, I've found this show incredibly charming through its first few episodes.

I am a little worried its schtick will get old, though. I'll be impressed if they can re-invent the core joke with enough range to keep it from getting stale, and even more impressed if the show can re-invent itself more fully than that throughout its run.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I do think it would be awesome if the show realized how broken Maple is and hot patched a nerf in episode 3, leading to her all of a sudden having to actually learn how to play the game, but I am at peace with that almost certainly not happening.
I swear I hadn't watched ep 3 yet when I wrote that!

I'm pretty happy with the show at this point, I even think that you could make an argument for how nobody else had stumbled upon Maple's build yet even in a realistic in-universe way, but I also think that would be taking the nerdom a bridge too far for such a low stakes show. I'm enjoying it for what it is, a Cute Girls Doing EAT MONSTER FLESH Things show, and that's enough for me so far.

Episode 3 had at least 3 noticeable moments of BUTTS on screen, which I guess betrays the real demographic the show is reaching for. Also a few cuts of enjoyable sakuga in the fight, so it isn't even a low effort show on technical merits!
ebv2406

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit I was also complaining about how unbalanced that game was, I'm glad they addressed it.

The only weird thing is that we're not seen more tanks in the game since exploits like that usually run amok fast even in new games.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:

I think it's a case of perverts being part of the staff, there was also the bit with sally diving into mapple's crotch which I had not noticed until a chinese anime news site posted the still frame. Or the joke in episode 2 about maple taking a good pounding but liking it.

https://preview.redd.it/lqu66xd2c4c41.jpg?auto=webp&s=db394a6ae67cc6c4035586a16b70fbcf9f571315

This show is a cypher for me, the jokes could grow stale or they coudl actually improve, the intro makes me think they will add more charcters to the party but that would be pretty weird considering it started as the mapple show.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I'm pretty happy with the show at this point, I even think that you could make an argument for how nobody else had stumbled upon Maple's build yet even in a realistic in-universe way, but I also think that would be taking the nerdom a bridge too far for such a low stakes show.

To me it makes sense because Maple more or less stumbled upon her build by the accident of playing the game in a way that would be massively boring to anyone else. One thing to consider in an VRMMO is that players can't really multitask like somebody playing a real-life video game. So just to cop Maple's course to getting her skills would require standing still for hours on end while a monster attacks them repeatedly. I can imagine somebody maybe doing that if they were absolutely determined to, but anyone casually or competitively playing a Tank build would probably just look for a way to build skill points that's, y'know, actually fun and involves playing the game with their friends.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I find the boss fights need to include more inner monologues from the manga to help explain what's going on in the fights. There's a lot going on and I don't find it works that well without the characters talking about there battle strategies.
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember in a game where there was a skill that dealt damage proportional to the target's VIT, the higher it is the more damage you take.

The bosses used to have a lot of VIT. Like 100+ or something. Of course with their VIT, the skill was dealing 1 million damage or higher.

After that, they just made them immune to statuses and dropped their VIT to 30.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
That two-person "cafe" idea was just magic!! What a date spot (is this a yuri setup?). I wish there were a game like that, I would have taken my wife there for sure...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I like that they addressed the issues with her build (though it makes you wonder how long this game has been out or what the dev team was doing that let it get that way, now if it was a beta that would be expected...) and I really love that this game world has spots that are just for enjoying the atmosphere.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
A little late to the party but that CG scene with the fish monster in episode 2 was pretty effing bad. I really hope that's not a sign of things to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5