• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Broadcasting Ethics Group Plans to Watch Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gacha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
>During the committee's discussion, one member was concerned about the show depicting sex work in a positive way.

HOW DARE THEY :'D
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another viewer found fault in the series' positive depiction of sex shops.
During the committee's discussion, one member was concerned about the show depicting sex work in a positive way.

WTF? Japanese people are THAT naive? lol
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They plan to take into consideration that the show does air after midnight.
That should say everything right f**king there. Rolling Eyes
egozi14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
depicting sex work in a positive way

Yeah sex can't ever be a positive thing~
Kids just fall from a random stork spoiler[and are the purest thing in the world even when these days each one of them have facebook in the age of 5- and uploads other people misery for fun]~
Keep go with that route of extinction Japan~
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
It’s Congress losing it over Night Trap...almost 30 years later.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
"Objectifies women"

Should have had shown male objectification, too, then.

Like, I'm one of those that loves the concept in this show, but really, I honestly wish the show would actually explore gay options, or made everyone pansexual, cause i just wish the show wasn't so cowardly with the idea of guys f**ing other guys, especially when they did a whole exposition scene in episode 3 that says "yes, male prostitues exist", and they go nowhere with it.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It’s Congress losing it over Night Trap...almost 30 years later.

Nobody in Congress actually played Night Trap though. At least the BPO will watch this. Maybe

MesousaGaby wrote:
Like, I'm one of those that loves the concept in this show, but really, I honestly wish the show would actually explore gay options, or made everyone pansexual, cause i just wish the show wasn't so cowardly with the idea of guys f**ing other guys, especially when they did a whole exposition scene in episode 3 that says "yes, male prostitues exist", and they go nowhere with it.

Why would they include that stuff in a fanservice show aimed at straight guys? That's like watching BL and complaining about the lack of yuri in it. That's not cowardly that's just demographics.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Interspecies Reviewers possibly both objectifies women and shows sex workers in a positive light?! The fiends!
I'd say empowers rather than objectifies... which I guess is the second problem?

But the show's just about done airing, what's the use in doing anything about it now? They're also giving it two more weeks before meeting again to discuss it. They're just hoping the show goes away on its own, aren't they?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
While on the surface, women being allowed to CHOOSE to work in the sex industry sounds like a good idea, in reality it's more complex than that. There's been studies over many years that suggest that legalizing prostitution could lead to an increase in human sex trafficking. It may also make it easier to force victims into the industry since they are often groomed and likely wouldn't say anything to those that can help them. They would "Consent" to it due to grooming. This makes it much harder to save them.

There are many articles on this, this is just one https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/10/17/why-legalizing-prostitution-may-not-work/#7c9eccce6678
Quote:
One paper, for example, looked at the legalization of brothels in the Netherlands in 2000. The researchers found that “screening of brothel owners and the monitoring of the compliance of licensing conditions do not create levels of transparency that enable sex trafficking to be exposed.” They therefore concluded that “fighting sex trafficking using the criminal justice system may even be harder in the legalized prostitution sector.”

Anyway, I'm not saying women working in the sex industry by choice is BAD, just that it's a LOT more complex than saying it's GOOD. We need more research before we can really say either way. But in my opinion, anything that would incentive MORE human trafficking/sexual slavery, is not worth it.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

But the show's just about done airing, what's the use in doing anything about it now? They're also giving it two more weeks before meeting again to discuss it. They're just hoping the show goes away on its own, aren't they?

From what I hear, the physical disc sales are enough to warrant a season 2. It would be funny, if only to make moral authoritarians mad.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

They might still cancel the last (12) episode, just in time to make disc sales go thru the roof and maybe, just maybe, for the very first time feel the burn from the otaku community in Japan, which might find their balls and call their representative to bring their moster girls back!
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Can't we at least all agree that prostitution in the real world is an extremely dark place and not all fun and laughs? Yes, sex is fun and our society should be less uptight about it, but the horrible truth of our world is that there are more people suffering by working in this industry than having fun in it. Of course that's not true for the series' world, but I believe that it was the right choice of an authority like this to express concerns and deal with the matter.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Where was all of this concern of women being objectified when literally every 90’s OVA ever was released?
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Can't we at least all agree that prostitution in the real world is an extremely dark place and not all fun and laughs? Yes, sex is fun and our society should be less uptight about it, but the horrible truth of our world is that there are more people suffering by working in this industry than having fun in it. Of course that's not true for the series' world, but I believe that it was the right choice of an authority like this to express concerns and deal with the matter.

The bigger problem in question is that approaching this show on the understanding of "Why is this showing that prostitution is fun and a joke?" is undermining a better approach of "Why are we keeping prostitution illegal?". It's not just that the show encourages people to be less prudish about sex... The show sets up a society where prostitution is not only legalized, but also has government oversight and (possibly) unionization; all while also showing a fairly humanist portrayal of employees in the trade.

The fact of the matter is, I agree that prostitution in the real world is dangerous and exploitative. But that's primarily because keeping it illegal shuts all the doors that would otherwise protect it's employees and clients, and opens all the ones that keep the trade high risk. Prostitution is always going to exist, but the more we keep it in the realm of trafficking, the less there is to prevent people from violently/illegally exploiting the trade for high financial benefit. At least, until they get caught. But by that point the damage is typically already done.

I don't really expect this goofy, lewd anime to really change the laws or the world. But, it's genuinely disappointing that people are using the discussion to shine a light on objectification or how evil prostitution is, rather than taking example from it for a discussion on how to improve the situations for those in it's trade.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
but I believe that it was the right choice of an authority like this to express concerns and deal with the matter.

But why stop there? Let's them pass judgement on any anime that has ever had murder or any other felony happen! We all know piracy in the high seas is real in the 21st century and most despicable, how about reign in One Piece first and foremost?

TBT fiction is a form of entertainment and having it penalized just because you don't like that specific depiction of fiction does not make it a less despicable attitude.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4